Jun. 9th, 1963
Owensboro, Kentucky, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Edward Scissorhands (Voiced)
Jack Kahuna Laguna (Voiced)
John Christopher "Johnny" Depp II (born June 9, 1963) is an American actor, film producer, and musician. Depp was born in Owensboro, Kentucky. He was raised in Florida. He dropped out of school at age 15 in the hopes of becoming a rock musician. He fronted a series of garage bands including The Kids, which once opened for 'Iggy Pop'. Depp got into acting after a visit to Los Angeles, California, with his former wife, Lori Anne Allison ('Lori A. Depp'), who introduced him to actor 'Nicolas Cage'. He made his film debut in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). In 1987 he shot to stardom when he replaced 'Jeff Yagher' in the role of undercover cop Tommy Hanson in the popular TV series 21 Jump Street (1987).
In 1990, after numerous roles in teen-oriented films, his first of a handful of great collaborations with director 'Tim Burton' came about when Depp played the title role in Edward Scissorhands (1990). Following the film's success, Depp carved a niche for himself as a serious, somewhat dark, idiosyncratic performer, consistently selecting roles that surprised critics and audiences alike. He continued to gain critical acclaim and increasing popularity by appearing in many features before re-joining with Burton in the lead role of Ed Wood (1994).
In 1997 he played an undercover FBI agent in the fact-based film Donnie Brasco (1997), opposite Al Pacino; in 1998 he appeared in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998), directed by Terry Gilliam; and then, in 1999, he appeared in the sci-fi/horror film The Astronaut's Wife (1999). The same year he teamed up again with Burton in Sleepy Hollow (1999), brilliantly portraying Ichabod Crane.
Depp has played many characters in his career, including another fact-based one, Insp. Fred Abberline in From Hell (2001). He stole the show from screen greats such as Antonio Banderas in the finale to Robert Rodriguez's "mariachi" trilogy, Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003). In that same year he starred in the marvelous family blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), playing a character that only the likes of Depp could pull off: the charming, conniving and roguish Capt. Jack Sparrow. Now Depp is collaborating again with Burton in a screen adaptation of Roald Dahl's novel, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), the most recent being Dark Shadows (2012).
Depp played the former Heath Ledger character in the 2009 film The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus along with Jude Law and Colin Farrell. All three actors gave their salaries from the film to Ledger's daughter, Matilda. He portrayed the Mad Hatter in Burton's Alice in Wonderland, and the protagonist of Rango.
Off-screen, Depp has dated several female celebrities, and has been engaged to Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder, Sherilyn Fenn and Kate Moss.
Depp was married to Lori Anne Allison in (1983) but they divorced her in (1985). Depp began a relationship with Vanessa Paradis, a French actress and singer whom he met while filming The Ninth Gate. After months of media speculation, Depp and Paradis announced their separation in June 2012. They have two children, daughter Lily-Rose Melody Depp (born 1999) and son John "Jack" Christopher Depp III (born 2002). Depp has been dating actress and model 'Amber Heard' since 2012 after the pair met on the set of the film The Rum Diary. The couple became engaged on Christmas Eve in 2013.
- (1996) Chosen by People (USA) Magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
- Reportedly based his portrayal of "Ichabod Crane" in _Sleepy Hollow (1999)_ (qv) on "Withnail" from _Withnail & I (1987)_ (qv), as played by 'Richard E. Grant' (qv).
- Had come into professional contact with the great screen villains 'Vincent Price (I)' (qv) and 'Christopher Lee (I)' (qv). Price co-starred with Depp in _Edward Scissorhands (1990)_ (qv), and Lee co-starred with him in _Sleepy Hollow (1999)_ (qv), _Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)_ (qv) and _Corpse Bride (2005)_ (qv). Oddly, all of them were 'Tim Burton (I)' (qv) films.
- Named one of E!'s Top 20 Entertainers of 2001.
- 'Sherilyn Fenn' (qv)'s name is scrawled across his helmet in _Platoon (1986)_ (qv).
- Has been in seven films in which the title contains the name of the character he plays: _Edward Scissorhands (1990)_ (qv), _Cry-Baby (1990)_ (qv), _What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)_ (qv), _Ed Wood (1994)_ (qv), _Don Juan DeMarco (1994)_ (qv), _Donnie Brasco (1997)_ (qv)and _Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007).
- Ranked #1 in the "Best Hollywood Signers 2006" list by "Autograph Collector" magazine (May 2006).
- Close friend of 'Abigail Breslin' (qv).