71 (passed away Sep. 12th, 2003)
Feb. 26th, 1932
Kingsland, Arkansas, USA
Johnny Cash's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Pete Seeger: The Power of Song
2007 - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream
2005 - No Direction Home
2003 - The Hunted
1961 - Five Minutes to Live
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Musician (segment "Johnny Cash")
Himself - Singer
Johnny Cash was born February 26, 1932, in Kingsland, Arkansas. He made his first single, "Hey Porter", for Sun Records in 1955. In 1958 he moved to Columbia Records. He had long periods of drug abuse during the 1960s, but later that decade he successfully fought his addiction with the help of singer June Carter Cash, whom he married in 1968. In 1971 he appeared in the western A Gunfight (1971) with Kirk Douglas (I). Cash made a few films but quite a few appearances on television, both in series and made-for-TV films, and was especially effective as a rural Southern sheriff in the 1930s determined to bring to justice a wealthy landowner who committed murder because he believed he was above the law, in Murder in Coweta County (1983) (TV), a drama based on a true story. In 1975 Cash wrote his autobiography, "Man In Black", which is now out of print. In the late 1980s he moved from Columbia Records to Mercury, then in the next decade moved again to American Recordings.
Amonst his biggest hit records was "I Walk the Line", "Ring of Fire" and "A Boy Named Sue".
After several years of ill health, he died of complications from diabetes on 12 September 2003, only a few months after the death of his beloved wife.
- Biography in: "The Scribner Encyclopedia of American Lives". Volume 7, 2003-2005, pages 73-76. Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson Gale, 2007.
- Stepfather-in-law of 'Nick Lowe (I)' (qv).
- Was ranked #1 of the 40 greatest men in country music.
- His album, "The Man Comes Around", features his rendition of 'Nine Inch Nails' (qv)' "Hurt". NIN's frontman 'Trent Reznor' (qv) admitted that at first he was angry about the cover, as he wrote it from a deeply personal point of view. However, when he heard the song and saw the video for the first time, he was deeply moved and found Cash's cover beautiful and meaningful.
- Johnny's "Hurt" was the theme song of WWE's Raw Tribute to the late 'Eddie Guerrero (I)' (qv). The song plays while Guerrero's memorial is playing.
- Godfather of John Keach, the son of 'Jane Seymour (I)' (qv) and 'James Keach' (qv).
- Among "The Highwaymen", Johnny was old friends (or "blood brothers" as he put it) with 'Waylon Jennings' (qv). 'Kris Kristofferson (I)' (qv) idolized Cash and the two become close friends while in "The Highwaymen". Cash was least close with 'Willie Nelson' (qv), but the two were always friendly, despite the competitive eye they kept on one another.
- After the 1950s, when he wrote almost all of the songs he performed, he performed many covers. On the average album, he was the writer of about a third of the songs.