71 (passed away Sep. 12th, 2003)
Feb. 26th, 1932
Kingsland, Arkansas, USA
Johnny Cash's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Winding Stream
2013 - My Father And The Man In Black
2007 - Pete Seeger: The Power of Song
2003 - The Hunted
1961 - Five Minutes to Live
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Johnny Cash was born February 26, 1932, in Kingsland, Arkansas. He made his first single, "Hey Porter", for Sun Records in 1955. In 1958 he moved to Columbia Records. He had long periods of drug abuse during the 1960s, but later that decade he successfully fought his addiction with the help of singer June Carter Cash, whom he married in 1968. In 1971 he appeared in the western A Gunfight (1971) with Kirk Douglas (I). Cash made a few films but quite a few appearances on television, both in series and made-for-TV films, and was especially effective as a rural Southern sheriff in the 1930s determined to bring to justice a wealthy landowner who committed murder because he believed he was above the law, in Murder in Coweta County (1983) (TV), a drama based on a true story. In 1975 Cash wrote his autobiography, "Man In Black", which is now out of print. In the late 1980s he moved from Columbia Records to Mercury, then in the next decade moved again to American Recordings.
Amonst his biggest hit records was "I Walk the Line", "Ring of Fire" and "A Boy Named Sue".
After several years of ill health, he died of complications from diabetes on 12 September 2003, only a few months after the death of his beloved wife.
- Godfather of John Keach, the son of 'Jane Seymour (I)' (qv) and 'James Keach' (qv).
- In the 1970s he tried to help his close friend, legendary Nashville guitarist 'Hank Garland' (qv), restart his career by bringing him into the studio to record.
- Brother of country singer 'Tommy Cash' (qv).
- Recorded over 1500 songs throughout his career.
- He was given the name J.R. on his birth certificate, because his parents couldn't agree on a name, only on initials. He adopted John R. Cash as his given name when he joined the Air Force, which did not accept initials.
- Mentioned in the song "Life Is a Rock But the Radio Rolled Me" by Reunion.
- Is the only person besides 'Hank Williams (I)' (qv) to have been inducted into the Songwriters, Country Music, and Rock And Roll Halls of Fame.
- Father of 'Cindy Cash' (qv).