Jun. 20th, 1940
Blackpool, Lancashire, England, UK
John Mahoney's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Dan in Real Life
2001 - Atlantis: The Lost Empire
2001 - The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy
1999 - The Iron Giant
1998 - Antz
1996 - She's the One
1996 - Primal Fear
1995 - The American President
1994 - The Hudsucker Proxy
1994 - Reality Bites
1993 - In the Line of Fire
1993 - Striking Distance
1992 - Article 99
1991 - Barton Fink
1990 - The Russia House
1989 - Say Anything...
1988 - Betrayed
1988 - Eight Men Out
1988 - Frantic
1987 - Moonstruck
1987 - Suspect
1987 - Tin Men
1986 - The Manhattan Project
1986 - Streets of Gold
1985 - Code of silence
Guest TV Roles
Chief Patrick Meacham
Lt. Col. Wally Durham
Dr. Leonard Hamlin
Dr. Robert Terwilliger (Voiced)
John Mahoney is an award-winning American actor who was born during the Battle of Britain in Blackpool, Lancashire, England. The seventh of eight children, Mahoney's family had been evacuated to the sea-side resort to avoid the Nazi bombing of their native Manchester. The Macunian Mahoneys eventually returned to Manchester during the war. Visiting the States to see his older sister, a "war bride" who had married an American, the young Mahoney decided to emigrate and was sponsored by his sister. He eventually won his citizenship by serving in the U.S. Army.
Long interested in acting, Mahoney didn't actually make the transition to his craft until he was almost 40 years old. Mahoney took acting classes at the St. Nicholas Theater and finally built up the courage to quit his day job and pursue acting full time, John Malkovich, one of the founders of the Second City's distinguished Steppenwolf Theatre, encouraged Mahoney to join Steppenwolf. In 1986, Mahoney won a Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play for his performance in John Guare's The House of Blue Leaves (1987) (TV).
Mahoney made his feature film debut in 1980, but he is best known for playing the role of the father of the eponymous character "Frasier" (1993) from 1993 until 2004. He is concentrating on stage work back in Chicago and has appeared on Broadway in 2007 in a revival of Prelude to a Kiss (1992).
- Won Broadway's 1986 Tony Award as Best Actor (Featured Role - Play) for _The House of Blue Leaves (1987) (TV)_ (qv).
- He was formerly an English professor who taught at many colleges.
- Has appeared in episodes of three different series with 'Ted Danson' (qv): _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv), _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv) and _"Becker" (1998)_ (qv).
- He was nominated for a 1980 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in "Death of a Salesman" at the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago, Illinois.
- Met actor 'John Malkovich' (qv) in a Chicago acting class, who encouraged him to join the Steppenwolf theater company.
- Came to the United States to visit his sister who was a war bride
- Although he later played Frasier's father Martin Crane on _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv), 'John Mahoney (I)' (qv) appeared on a 1992 episode of _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv) as a pianist who was hired to write a jingle for the bar.
- Was a member of the Stretford Civic Theatre in Manchester, England in his teens.