Jun. 20th, 1940
Blackpool, Lancashire, England, UK
John Mahoney's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Flipped
2007 - Dan in Real Life
2001 - Atlantis: The Lost Empire
2001 - The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy
1999 - The Iron Giant
1998 - Antz
1996 - Primal Fear
1995 - The American President
1994 - The Hudsucker Proxy
1994 - Reality Bites
1993 - In the Line of Fire
1993 - Striking Distance
1992 - Article 99
1991 - Barton Fink
1990 - The Russia House
1989 - Say Anything...
1988 - Eight Men Out
1988 - Frantic
1988 - Betrayed
1987 - Moonstruck
1987 - Suspect
1987 - Tin Men
1986 - The Manhattan Project
1986 - Streets of Gold
Guest TV Roles[none found]
John Mahoney is an award-winning American actor who was born during the Battle of Britain in Blackpool, Lancashire, England. The seventh of eight children, Mahoney's family had been evacuated to the sea-side resort to avoid the Nazi bombing of their native Manchester. The Macunian Mahoneys eventually returned to Manchester during the war. Visiting the States to see his older sister, a "war bride" who had married an American, the young Mahoney decided to emigrate and was sponsored by his sister. He eventually won his citizenship by serving in the U.S. Army.
Long interested in acting, Mahoney didn't actually make the transition to his craft until he was almost 40 years old. Mahoney took acting classes at the St. Nicholas Theater and finally built up the courage to quit his day job and pursue acting full time, John Malkovich, one of the founders of the Second City's distinguished Steppenwolf Theatre, encouraged Mahoney to join Steppenwolf. In 1986, Mahoney won a Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play for his performance in John Guare's The House of Blue Leaves (1987) (TV).
Mahoney made his feature film debut in 1980, but he is best known for playing the role of the father of the eponymous character "Frasier" (1993) from 1993 until 2004. He is concentrating on stage work back in Chicago and has appeared on Broadway in 2007 in a revival of Prelude to a Kiss (1992).
- Met actor 'John Malkovich' (qv) in a Chicago acting class, who encouraged him to join the Steppenwolf theater company.
- Although he later played Frasier's father Martin Crane on _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv), 'John Mahoney (I)' (qv) appeared on a 1992 episode of _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv) as a pianist who was hired to write a jingle for the bar.
- He was nominated for a 1980 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in "Death of a Salesman" at the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago, Illinois.
- While approaching middle age, he finally decided to become an actor by quitting his job as a medical journalist and enrolling in acting classes at the St. Nicholas Theater, which has since closed.
- Received a bachelor of arts degree from Quincy College (Quincy, Illinois, now Quincy University) and a masters in English from Western Illinois University (Macomb, Illinois).
- Came to the United States to visit his sister who was a war bride
- He was nominated for a 1984 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Principal Role in a Play for "The Hothouse" at the Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago, Illinois.
- Has appeared in episodes of three different series with 'Ted Danson' (qv): _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv), _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv) and _"Becker" (1998)_ (qv).