Nov. 13th, 1947
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Joe Mantegna's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
An Italian American, Mantegna was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1947 to Mary Anne (Novielli), a shipping clerk from Acquaviva delle Fonti Italy, and Joseph Anthony Mantegna, Sr., who worked in insurance sales and died in 1969 of tuberculosis. Mantegna was raised Catholic and attended J. Sterling Morton High School East in Cicero, Illinois. He studied acting at the Goodman School of Drama at DePaul University in from 1967 to 1969. While still a young man in Chicago, he played bass in a band called The Apocryphals which later played with another local group The Missing Links, who went on to form the band Chicago. Mantegna is still very close to the original members of Chicago, and keeps in touch with his old band mates as well.
- He was a classmate of 'Walter Parazaider' (qv) of 'Chicago (I)' (qv), which is also Mantegna's favorite band.
- 4/26/04: Received the lifetime achievement award at the Los Angeles Italian Film Festival.
- Will Girardi, Mantegna's character on _"Joan of Arcadia" (2003)_ (qv), was ranked #40 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" [20 June 2004 issue].
- He attended Morton East High School in Cicero, IL, graduating in 1965.
- His wife Arlene owns Taste Chicago, a restaurant in Burbank, CA.
- Was considered for the role of Det.Joe Fontana on _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv).
- Good friend of Denis Leary.
- Longtime personal friend of 'Roger Ebert' (qv).