Nov. 13th, 1947
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Joe Mantegna's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
An Italian American, Mantegna was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1947 to Mary Anne (Novielli), a shipping clerk from Acquaviva delle Fonti Italy, and Joseph Anthony Mantegna, Sr., who worked in insurance sales and died in 1969 of tuberculosis. Mantegna was raised Catholic and attended J. Sterling Morton High School East in Cicero, Illinois. He studied acting at the Goodman School of Drama at DePaul University in from 1967 to 1969. While still a young man in Chicago, he played bass in a band called The Apocryphals which later played with another local group The Missing Links, who went on to form the band Chicago. Mantegna is still very close to the original members of Chicago, and keeps in touch with his old band mates as well.
- Good friend of Denis Leary.
- Was considered for the role of Det.Joe Fontana on _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv).
- He was a classmate of 'Walter Parazaider' (qv) of 'Chicago (I)' (qv), which is also Mantegna's favorite band.
- Formerly an actor with an Chicago's Organic Theatre Company.
- His favourite food is Italian beef.
- His character on _"The Simpsons" (1989)_ (qv), Fat Tony, has been the subject of two inside jokes. One of Fat Tony's first appearances was in the episode where Bart becomes his errand boy. At the end of the episode, the events are turned into a TV movie, in which, we are told, Joe Mantegna is playing Fat Tony. On a much later episode, after a mafia stand-off is placated by the appearance of Maggie Simpson, everyone breaks down crying. Fat Tony remarks, "I haven't cried like this since I paid to see _The Godfather: Part III (1990)_ (qv).".
- Received Honorary Doctorate in Psychology from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology on June 13, 2008. He was the commencement speaker.
- Longtime personal friend of 'Roger Ebert' (qv).