Nov. 13th, 1947
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Joe Mantegna's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
An Italian American, Mantegna was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1947 to Mary Anne (Novielli), a shipping clerk from Acquaviva delle Fonti Italy, and Joseph Anthony Mantegna, Sr., who worked in insurance sales and died in 1969 of tuberculosis. Mantegna was raised Catholic and attended J. Sterling Morton High School East in Cicero, Illinois. He studied acting at the Goodman School of Drama at DePaul University in from 1967 to 1969. While still a young man in Chicago, he played bass in a band called The Apocryphals which later played with another local group The Missing Links, who went on to form the band Chicago. Mantegna is still very close to the original members of Chicago, and keeps in touch with his old band mates as well.
- 1978: Debuted on Broadway in "Working". He also helped write "Bleacher Bums", an award-winning play. The Los Angeles production of "Bums" ran over five years.
- Has been assured by _"The Simpsons" (1989)_ (qv)' casting director that he will be the only person to voice the character Fat Tony - however, the character had a different actor for his short appearance in "A Fish Called Selma".
- His character on _"The Simpsons" (1989)_ (qv), Fat Tony, has been the subject of two inside jokes. One of Fat Tony's first appearances was in the episode where Bart becomes his errand boy. At the end of the episode, the events are turned into a TV movie, in which, we are told, Joe Mantegna is playing Fat Tony. On a much later episode, after a mafia stand-off is placated by the appearance of Maggie Simpson, everyone breaks down crying. Fat Tony remarks, "I haven't cried like this since I paid to see _The Godfather: Part III (1990)_ (qv).".
- Will Girardi, Mantegna's character on _"Joan of Arcadia" (2003)_ (qv), was ranked #40 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" [20 June 2004 issue].
- He was a classmate of 'Walter Parazaider' (qv) of 'Chicago (I)' (qv), which is also Mantegna's favorite band.
- His character in the _"The Simpsons" (1989)_ (qv) was originally intended to be a one-time guest appearance in the episode "Bart The Murderer", but it became a recurring role later on in the series' run. According to the Season 3 DVD commentary track, Mantegna liked the character and wanted to voice him again.
- He attended Morton East High School in Cicero, IL, graduating in 1965.
- 1969: Made his acting debut in a production of "Hair".