Jan. 5th, 1967
Los Angeles, California, USA
Joe Flanigan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Good Day for It
2003 - Thoughtcrimes
1999 - The Other Sister
Guest TV Roles
Dr. David Marcus
Dr. Tom Arquette
FBI Agent John Ash
Det. Claude Morton
Lt. Colonel John Sheppard
After graduation, Joe Flanigan pursued a writing career. He worked on Capitol Hill and then briefly for several New York City publications, including 'Town and Country' and 'Interview' magazine. On the advice of some of his friends, he studied at the Neighborhood Playhouse, was coached by Gerald Gordon, and then moved back to Los Angeles in 1994 to pursue an acting career.
Flanigan had guest roles in numerous television series including Profiler, First Monday, and Sisters, until he got his breakthrough with his role on Stargate Atlantis as Lt. Colonel John Sheppard, the military leader of the Atlantis Expedition. He lives in Vancouver, Canada, where the series is filmed during the week, and flies to Los Angeles, California during the weekends where his wife and children reside. He continues to write, and created the stories for the second season episode Epiphany and the fourth season Outcast. Flanigan also appears in Brooks Institute photographer John Russo's book About Face. Part of the proceeds are to be donated to Smile Train.
- Joe and his wife welcomed a third son in September 2006.
- Favorite foods include Chinese, Indian, French, Italian, Japanese, Thai etc.
- Wife, 'Katherine Kousi' (qv), is a painter.
- Graduate of University of Colorado, major in history.
- Of the five original _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv) regulars, he is the only American. 'Torri Higginson' (qv), 'Rainbow Francks' (qv) and 'Rachel Luttrell' (qv) are all Canadian, and 'David Hewlett' (qv) is English (though he now also lives in Canada).
- He was tapped for the lead in the NBC pilot _Sherman's March (2000) (TV)_ (qv).
- Appeared in one episode of _"Birds of Prey" (2002)_ (qv), "Prey for the Hunter", before fellow Stargate franchise member 'Carmen Argenziano' (qv), of _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv), appeared in the episode "Nature of the Beast".
- Worked as an advance man in President 'George Bush (I)' (qv)' administration and as a bartender, but fired from both jobs.