Nov. 19th, 1962
Los Angeles, California, USA
Jodie Foster's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Nim's Island
2007 - The Brave One
2006 - Inside Man
2005 - Flightplan
2004 - The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing
2002 - The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
2002 - Panic Room
1999 - Anna and the King
1997 - Contact
1994 - Nell
1994 - Maverick
1993 - The Making of '...And God Spoke'
1993 - Sommersby
1991 - The Silence of the Lambs
1991 - Little Man Tate
1990 - Catchfire
1988 - The Accused
1988 - Stealing Home
1987 - Siesta
1984 - The Hotel New Hampshire
1980 - Foxes
1980 - Carny
1977 - Candleshoe
1976 - Bugsy Malone
1976 - Taxi Driver
1976 - Freaky Friday
1976 - The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
1974 - Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
1973 - Tom Sawyer
1972 - Napoleon and Samantha
Guest TV Roles
Anne Chan (Voiced)
Herself - Host
Alethea Patricia Ingram
Alicia Christian Foster (born November 19, 1962), known professionally as Jodie Foster, is an American actress, film director, and producer.
Foster started her career at the age of two in an ad campaign for Coppertone. For four years, she made commercials and finally gave her debut as an actress in the TV series Mayberry R.F.D. (1968), on which her brother, 'Buddy Foster', was a regular.
In 1975, Foster was offered the role of the prostitute Iris in the movie Taxi Driver (1976), after 'Melanie Griffith' turned it down. This role, for which she received an Academy Award nomination in the Best Supporting Actress category, marked a breakthrough in her career.
In 1980, she graduated as the best of her class from the French College of Los Angeles and began to study English Literature at Yale University, from where she graduated in 1985.
One tragic moment in her life was March 30, 1981 when 'John Hinckley' attempted to assassinate the President of the United States, 'Ronald Reagan'. Hinkley was obsessed with Foster and the movie Taxi Driver (1976), in which Travis Bickle, played by 'Robert De Niro', tried to shoot presidential candidate, Palantine.
Despite the fact that Foster never took acting lessons, she received two Oscars before she was thirty years of age. She received her first award for her part as Sarah Tobias in The Accused (1988) and the second one for her performance as Clarice Starling in The Silence of the Lambs (1991).
- Turned down the lead role for _Adventures in Babysitting (1987)_ (qv) that went to 'Elisabeth Shue' (qv).
- Was considered by 'Sergio Leone (I)' (qv) for the role of Deborah Gelly in his final movie _Once Upon a Time in America (1984)_ (qv), but the role went to 'Elizabeth McGovern (I)' (qv).
- Considers her role in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) to be a counterpart to her role in _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv). In _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv), she is a woman in bondage who has to be rescued. In _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), she rescues the captive woman. In an interesting twist, her pimp in _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv) was played by 'Harvey Keitel' (qv), who went on to play her future mentor, Jack Crawford, in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- Born Alicia Christian Foster, her three siblings insisted on calling her "Jodie.".
- Revealed during a 2005 interview on the French talk show "Le Grand Journal" that she knows the words to the French national anthem, "La Marseillaise", but does not know "The Star-Spangled Banner".
- Born at 8:14 AM PST.
- Ranked #30 on EW's The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood (2007).
- Was considered for the role of Sister Agnes in _Agnes of God (1985)_ (qv), but the role went to 'Meg Tilly' (qv).