Nov. 19th, 1962
Los Angeles, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Anne Chan (Voiced)
Jodie Foster (segment "Young Han Solo Audition")
Alethea Patricia Ingram
Alicia Christian Foster (born November 19, 1962), known professionally as Jodie Foster, is an American actress, film director, and producer.
Foster started her career at the age of two in an ad campaign for Coppertone. For four years, she made commercials and finally gave her debut as an actress in the TV series Mayberry R.F.D. (1968), on which her brother, 'Buddy Foster', was a regular.
In 1975, Foster was offered the role of the prostitute Iris in the movie Taxi Driver (1976), after 'Melanie Griffith' turned it down. This role, for which she received an Academy Award nomination in the Best Supporting Actress category, marked a breakthrough in her career.
In 1980, she graduated as the best of her class from the French College of Los Angeles and began to study English Literature at Yale University, from where she graduated in 1985.
One tragic moment in her life was March 30, 1981 when 'John Hinckley' attempted to assassinate the President of the United States, 'Ronald Reagan'. Hinkley was obsessed with Foster and the movie Taxi Driver (1976), in which Travis Bickle, played by 'Robert De Niro', tried to shoot presidential candidate, Palantine.
Despite the fact that Foster never took acting lessons, she received two Oscars before she was thirty years of age. She received her first award for her part as Sarah Tobias in The Accused (1988) and the second one for her performance as Clarice Starling in The Silence of the Lambs (1991).
- Her production company, Egg Pictures, is named after the character played by 'Seth Green' (qv) in _The Hotel New Hampshire (1984)_ (qv) in which Jodie starred.
- Made her acting debut in a Coppertone Suntan Lotion commercial when she was 3 years old.
- Turned down the role of Madison in _Splash (1984)_ (qv). The part went to 'Daryl Hannah' (qv).
- Ranked #4 in VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Kid Stars"
- CBS was billed $12,000 for her hair and makeup for her appearance on _"60 Minutes II" (1999)_ (qv), December 1999 to promote _Anna and the King (1999)_ (qv). This total was later determined to be incorrect and inflated.
- Considers her role in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) to be a counterpart to her role in _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv). In _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv), she is a woman in bondage who has to be rescued. In _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), she rescues the captive woman. In an interesting twist, her pimp in _Taxi Driver (1976)_ (qv) was played by 'Harvey Keitel' (qv), who went on to play her future mentor, Jack Crawford, in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- Father Lucius Foster left the family when Jodie's mother was a few months pregnant with her.
- She was voted the 57th "Greatest Movie Star" of all time by Entertainment Weekly.