Jun. 8th, 1933
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- Was one of the final guests to appear on _"The Wayne Brady Show" (2002)_ (qv).
- Early in her career she performed as half of the comedy team of "Joanie and Bill". "Bill" was former actor William Perry (1936-2006) who was the nephew of actress 'Toby Wing' (qv).
- An accomplished author, she has written several candid autobiographies, including "Enter Talking" and "Still Talking". Author of self-help books, including "Bouncing Back: I've Survived Everything ... and I Mean Everything ... and You Can Too!" and "Don't Count the Candles: Just Keep the Fire Lit!". Author of several comedy books, including "Having a Baby Can Be a Scream" and "The Life and Hard Times of Heidi Abromowitz".
- Collects Faberge eggs.
- She won an Daytime Emmy in 1990 for best talk show host and was nominated for a Tony Award for the play "Donna Marr and her escorts" in 1994. She was also nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Recording in 1985.
- She had her first cosmetic surgery procedure (an eye-lift) in 1965 at age 32.
- About 1982, she was appointed the first permanent guest hostess on _"The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" (1962)_ (qv). She infuriated 'Johnny Carson (I)' (qv) when she left to host her own show, _"The Late Show" (1986)_ (qv) on rival Fox network. 'Johnny Carson (I)' (qv) never spoke to her again.
- Graduated from Barnard College.