Oct. 11th, 1962
New York City, New York, USA
Joan Cusack's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Joan Mary Cusack (born October 11,1962) is an actress.
Born in New York City, New York and raised in Evanston, Illinois. She is the daughter of Nancy and Dick Cusack. Her father was an advertising executive, writer and actor and her mother was a math teacher. Her siblings - Susie Cusack, John Cusack, Ann Cusack and Bill Cusack also act. Raised in Illinois, Cusack was actively encouraged to explore her creativity by her parents, and as a child she joined the Piven Theater Workshop. She went on to learn and perform improvisation at the Story Theater and The Ark. Later she attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison, graduating with a bachelor's degree in English.
Whilst at university, Cusack took some small film roles, but her big break came after graduation, when she joined the cast of the legendary Saturday Night Live. However, she only stayed for a season before moving on to explore other projects. In 1987, she produced a memorable turn in the acclaimed Broadcast News (1987), and she was Oscar nominated for her performance in Working Girl (1988). Other notable films include Addams Family Values (1993), Grosse Pointe Blank (1997) and In & Out (1997), which earned her a second Oscar nomination. She also provided, superbly, the voice of Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl in Toy Story 2 (1999) and Toy Story 3 (2010). On television she scored a role on Shameless, with her work garnering her an Emmy nomination.
Cusack is married to an attorney, Dick Burke. They have two sons - Dylan and Miles. She owns a home in Three Oaks Township, Michigan and lives in Chicago, Illinois.
- Cusack was the first regular cast member of _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) (1985-86 season) to be nominated for an Academy Award. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her work in _Working Girl (1988)_ (qv).
- Shares her birthday (October 11) with 'Michelle Trachtenberg' (qv), her on-screen daughter in Disney's _Ice Princess (2005)_ (qv).
- Daughter of 'Dick Cusack' (qv)
- In the mid-1980s, was a co-founder of the three woman improv comedy troupe, "An Impulsive Thing," with 'Bonnie Hunt' (qv) and 'Holly Wortell' (qv).
- She was nominated for a 1991 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actress in a Supporting Role in a Play for "A Midsummer's Night Dream" at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago, Illinois.
- Was supposed to play "Bobbie Markowitz" in _The Stepford Wives (2004)_ (qv). When her father became ill, both she and her brother, 'John Cusack' (qv), had to drop out of the film. 'Bette Midler' (qv) then got the role.
- (July 2000) Second son, Miles Burke, born.
- Has appeared in 10 movies with her brother 'John Cusack' (qv). (2008).