Jun. 2nd, 1982
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
5' 5 1/2
Jewel Staite's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2005 - Serenity
2002 - Cheats
1996 - Carpool
1995 - Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain
Guest TV Roles
Gabriella Da Vinci
Molly - Psychic
Staite was born in White Rock, British Columbia. The youngest of seven children, she modeled as a child and has acted since age six. She has stated that she is of British, Irish, French Canadian, and Iroquois ancestry.
Staite attended the Vancouver Film School and worked at the Vancouver Youth Theatre. She married actor Matt Anderson on April 25, 2003. On December 13, 2011, she announced they were divorcing in a post on her food blog.
Staite played Kaylee Frye in the short-lived space western television series Firefly and its subsequent 2005 film, Serenity. She wrote a chapter in the book Finding Serenity, called "Kaylee Speaks: Jewel Staite On Firefly".
She played Heidi Gotts, the antagonist in the TV series Wonderfalls and appeared in a Season Three episode of The X-Files.
Staite played the role of head medical doctor Jennifer Keller in the Stargate SG-1 spinoff Stargate Atlantis, making her the third actor from the Firefly series to move on to appear in a Stargate series (the first being Adam Baldwin, who had a brief role as a colonel in the Stargate SG-1 Season Seven episode "Heroes", and the second being Morena Baccarin, who played Adria, the main villain in the tenth season of SG-1), and the second to take a recurring role. She replaced Paul McGillion (Dr. Carson Beckett). In the fifth season her character was changed from recurring status to part of the main cast. Before taking on the role as Dr. Keller she previously played the Wraith child Ellia in the Stargate Atlantis episode "Instinct". She also appeared in the 2010 Sci-Fi film, Mothman, under direction from Sheldon Wilson.
She also did voices in the animated TV series Mummies Alive! and Sabrina: The Animated Series for DIC Entertainment. As of 2012, Staite is a series regular on The L.A. Complex, in which she portrays Raquel Westbrook, a struggling actress. The show airs in Canada on MuchMusic and in the U.S. on The CW.
- Is the youngest of seven children, and lives just three blocks away from her parents in Vancouver.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Rosie on _"Space Cases" (1996)_ (qv), which went to 'Paige Christina' (qv). She later got the role of Catalina.
- Her favorite hobbies are traveling and writing.
- Had to move from her hometown of Vancouver to Toronto during her two year run on the Disney show _"Flash Forward" (1996)_ (qv), one of the better shows for young people of the 1990s.
- She played the role of "Catalina" on _"Space Cases" (1996)_ (qv), a show that featured a space pirate named "Reaver" played by 'Chip Chuipka' (qv). She played "Kaylee" on _"Firefly" (2002)_ (qv) which featured a race of people called "Reavers", also with malicious intentions.
- Was featured on the preteen video/board game "Party Mania".
- In Vancouver she joined in the ground-breaking ceremony for an AIDS memorial where the names of AIDS victims in the area will be permanently memorialized.
- Gained 20 lbs for the part of Kaylee in the TV series _"Firefly" (2002)_ (qv). When the show was later adapted into a motion picture (_Serenity (2005)_ (qv)), the show had been over for a little while and she had lost the weight. She was told that they weren't going to give anyone else the part anyway, so she didn't have to re-gain the weight.