Jun. 2nd, 1982
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
Jewel Staite's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Jewel Staite (born June 2, 1982) in White Rock, British Columbia. The youngest of seven children, she modeled as a child and has acted since age six. She has stated that she is of British, Irish, French Canadian, and Iroquois ancestry. Staite attended the Vancouver Film School and worked at the Vancouver Youth Theatre.
Staite played Kaylee Frye in the short-lived space western television series Firefly and its subsequent 2005 film, Serenity. She wrote a chapter in the book Finding Serenity, called "Kaylee Speaks: Jewel Staite On Firefly".
She played Heidi Gotts, the antagonist in the TV series Wonderfalls and appeared in a Season Three episode of The X-Files.
Staite played the role of head medical doctor Jennifer Keller in the Stargate SG-1 spinoff Stargate Atlantis, making her the third actor from the Firefly series to move on to appear in a Stargate series (the first being 'Adam Baldwin', who had a brief role as a colonel in the Stargate SG-1 Season Seven episode "Heroes", and the second being Morena Baccarin, who played Adria, the main villain in the tenth season of SG-1), and the second to take a recurring role. She replaced Paul McGillion (Dr. Carson Beckett). In the fifth season her character was changed from recurring status to part of the main cast. Before taking on the role as Dr. Keller she previously played the Wraith child Ellia in the Stargate Atlantis episode "Instinct". She also appeared in the 2010 Sci-Fi film, Mothman, under direction from Sheldon Wilson.
She also did voices in the animated TV series Mummies Alive! and Sabrina: The Animated Series for DIC Entertainment. As of 2012, Staite is a series regular on The L.A. Complex, in which she portrays Raquel Westbrook, a struggling actress. The show airs in Canada on MuchMusic and in the U.S. on The CW.
She married actor Matt Anderson (April 25, 2003). On December 13, 2011, she announced they were divorcing in a post on her food blog.
- Gained 20 lbs for the part of Kaylee in the TV series _"Firefly" (2002)_ (qv). When the show was later adapted into a motion picture (_Serenity (2005)_ (qv)), the show had been over for a little while and she had lost the weight. She was told that they weren't going to give anyone else the part anyway, so she didn't have to re-gain the weight.
- She played the role of "Catalina" on _"Space Cases" (1996)_ (qv), a show that featured a space pirate named "Reaver" played by 'Chip Chuipka' (qv). She played "Kaylee" on _"Firefly" (2002)_ (qv) which featured a race of people called "Reavers", also with malicious intentions.
- Originally auditioned for the role of Rosie on _"Space Cases" (1996)_ (qv), which went to 'Paige Christina' (qv). She later got the role of Catalina.
- Is the youngest of seven children, and lives just three blocks away from her parents in Vancouver.
- 'Morena Baccarin' (qv) was her Maid of Honor at Jewel's wedding to 'Matt Anderson (X)' (qv) in Maui on April 25, 2003.
- Was featured on the preteen video/board game "Party Mania".
- Has been involved with AIDS Project since her uncle died of the disease.
- In Vancouver she joined in the ground-breaking ceremony for an AIDS memorial where the names of AIDS victims in the area will be permanently memorialized.