Jun. 8th, 1927
New York City, New York, USA
Jerry Stiller's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Deli Man
2007 - Hairspray
2007 - The Heartbreak Kid
2004 - Teacher's Pet
2004 - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
2002 - Serving Sara
2001 - On the Line
2001 - Zoolander
2000 - My 5 Wives
1999 - The Suburbans
1999 - Secret of the Andes
1997 - Stag
1997 - Camp Stories
1995 - Heavy Weights
1993 - The Pickle
1988 - Hairspray
1987 - Nadine
1987 - Hot Pursuit
1974 - Airport 1975
1970 - Lovers and Other Strangers
Guest TV Roles
Principal Stickler (Voiced)
Harry (segment "Love and the Conjugal Visit")
Sergeant Joe Capriotti
As the short, hypertensive male counterpart of the stellar husband-and-wife comedy team "Stiller & Meara", Jerry Stiller and wife Anne Meara were on top of the comedy game in the 1960s, a steady and hilarious presence on television variety, notably The Ed Sullivan Show (1948), on which they appeared 36 times. Decades later, his career was revitalized in the role of the raucous, gasket-blowing Frank Costanza on the sitcom classic Seinfeld (1989). The New York-born Stiller was, in the beginning, a drama major at the University of Syracuse. Though he had played rather uneducated, blue-collar sorts for most of his career, he received a Bachelor of Science in Speech and Drama before making his 1951 acting debut on stage with Burgess Meredith in "The Silver Whistle". While a member of the improvisational team The Compass Players (the company later evolved into the well-known Second City troupe), he met Anne.
- Attended Syracuse University.
- Although wife 'Anne Meara' (qv) converted to Judaism upon their marriage, the main source of Stiller & Meara's material was the differences in their ethnic backgrounds, epitomized by their famous "Hershey Horowitz/Mary Elizabeth Doyle" routines.
- Father of 'Ben Stiller' (qv) and 'Amy Stiller' (qv).
- In _"The King of Queens" (1998)_ (qv) episode "Shrink Wrap", his character's father was played by his real-life son, 'Ben Stiller' (qv).
- Was named as "King of Brooklyn" at the Welcome Back to Brooklyn Festival in 2000. His wife, 'Anne Meara' (qv), was named "Queen of Brooklyn" at the same festival.
- Grandfather of Ella Olivia Stiller and Quinlin Dempsey Stiller (daughter and son of 'Ben Stiller' (qv) and wife 'Christine Taylor (I)' (qv)).
- 'Anne Meara' (qv) and Jerry Stiller were awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Television at 7018 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- Holds a BS in Speech and Drama from Syracuse University (1950)