69 (passed away Dec. 28th, 2004)
Oct. 20th, 1935
New York City, New York, USA
Jerry Orbach's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1992 - Universal Soldier
1992 - Straight Talk
1991 - Toy Soldiers
1991 - Out For Justice
1991 - Beauty and the Beast
1991 - Delusion
1991 - Delirious
1989 - Last Exit to Brooklyn
1989 - Crimes and Misdemeanors
1987 - Dirty Dancing
1987 - Someone to Watch Over Me
1986 - FX
1985 - Brewster's Millions
1984 - Beverly Hills Cop
1981 - Prince of the City
1977 - The Sentinel
1961 - Mad Dog Coll
1955 - Marty
Guest TV Roles
Detective Lennie Briscoe
Det. Leonard 'Lennie' Briscoe
Jerry was born in the Bronx. His father, Leon, was a former vaudevillian actor and his mother, Emily, was a radio singer. His family moved frequently and eventually settled in Waukegan, Illinois where he went to high school. The constant moving made him the new kid on the block and forced him to become "a chameleon" to blend in his new settings. He studied drama at the University of Illinois and at Northwestern. He then went to study acting in New York and got constant work in musicals. He slowly pushed to get acting roles in tv and movies, but was frequently overlooked because of his musical roots.
- Appeared in episodes of four different series with 'Sam Waterston' (qv): _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv), _"Homicide: Life on the Street" (1993)_ (qv), _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv) and _"Law & Order: Trial by Jury" (2005)_ (qv).
- Spent part of his childhood in Nanticoke, PA.
- He played the same character (Detective Lennie Briscoe) in five different television series: _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv), _"Homicide: Life on the Street" (1993)_ (qv), _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv), _"Law & Order: Criminal Intent" (2001)_ (qv) and _"Law & Order: Trial by Jury" (2005)_ (qv).
- Father was German-Jewish whose ancestry was Spanish Sephardic and Mother was Polish Catholic.
- The _"Law & Order: Trial by Jury" (2005)_ (qv) episode "Baby Boom" was dedicated to his memory. At the end, a message was shown that said "For Jerry".
- Was an organ donor and upon his death he gave his eyes as a gift of sight.
- Had been battling prostate cancer for 10 years.
- According to his book "Hollywood Animal", 'Joe Eszterhas' (qv) said that when he was down and out, Orbach would fill his station wagon with groceries and deliver them to his house.