Mar. 1st, 1978
Dallas, Texas, USA
Jensen Ackles' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - My Bloody Valentine
2007 - Ten Inch Hero
Guest TV Roles
Jensen Ross Ackles (born March 1, 1978) is an American actor and director.
Ackles was born in Dallas, Texas, the son of Donna Joan (née Shaffer) and Alan Roger Ackles, an actor. Ackles has a brother, Joshua, who is three years older, and sister, Mackenzie, who is seven years younger. He is of English, Irish, and Scottish ancestry. He had planned to study sports medicine at Texas Tech University and to become a physical therapist, but instead moved to Los Angeles to start his acting career.
After modelling on and off since the age of 4, Ackles began to concentrate on an acting career in 1996. He appeared in several guest roles on Mr. Rhodes, Sweet Valley High, and Cybill before joining the cast of the NBC soap opera Days of our Lives as Eric Brady in 1997. He won a 1998 Soap Opera Digest Award for Best Male Newcomer and went on to be nominated three times (in 1998, 1999, and 2000) for a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series for his work on Days of our Lives.
Ackles departed Days of our Lives in 2000 and went on to appear in the mini-series Blonde, about the life of 'Marilyn Monroe'. He also auditioned for the role of the young Clark Kent on Smallville, a role offered to actor Tom Welling instead. Next he appeared in a guest role on the 'James Cameron' television series Dark Angel on Fox in 2001 as serial killer Ben/X5-493, the "brother" of main character Max/X5-452 played by 'Jessica Alba'. His character died in the episode, but Ackles returned to the show as a series regular in the second season as Ben's sane clone, Alec/X5-494. He remained with the show until its cancellation in 2002.
In 2003, he made several guest appearances as C.J. on the hit WB Network show Dawson's Creek (1998).
In 2004, Ackles returned to Vancouver and became a regular on the popular WB Network series Smallville (2001), which revolves around the life of the teen aged Clark Kent/Superman. His character, Jason Teague, was an assistant coach for the high school football team and a love interest of Clark Kent's ex-girlfriend, Lana Lang, played by 'Kristin Kreuk'.
Ackles returned to television in 2005 in the new WB horror series Supernatural (2005) in the role of Dean Winchester, who teams with his brother Sam 'Jared Padalecki' to road-trip across the country investigating the paranormal.
After three years of dating, Ackles became engaged to actress, model, and gymnast 'Danneel Harris' in November 2009. The couple married on May 15, 2010 in Dallas, Texas. They have one daughter, Justice Jay "JJ" Ackles, born on May 30, 2013.
Ackles considers himself a non-denominational Christian.
- Planned to study sports medicine at Texas Tech University and become a physical therapist, before he decided to move to LA to give acting a try.
- Was a child model at age 4, then quit, and started again at age 10.
- Enjoys horseback riding.
- Best friends with co-star 'Jared Padalecki' (qv). Jared Padalecki even calls Jensen's father Papa Ackles.
- 1990 graduate of Dartmouth Elementary School in Richardson, Texas.
- His first name is actually a surname and is the most common surname in Denmark.
- Jensen's parents named him Jensen because they considered other names but found them too common. Ackles, Jensen's last name, is pronounced like 'Cackles' without a 'C.'
- His career has an ongoing theme of dealing with demonic forces. His character's mother, "Marlena" on _"Days of Our Lives" (1965)_ (qv), was possessed by the Devil. In the movie _Devour (2005)_ (qv), he was the son of "Satan". On his television series, _"Supernatural" (2005)_ (qv), his character battles the forces of hell.