Jul. 24th, 1969
The Bronx, New York, USA
Jennifer Lopez's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Jennifer Lopez (born July 24, 1969), in the Castle Hill section of the Bronx. Her father, David, was a computer technician. Her mother, Guadalupe, taught kindergarten. Lopeez is the middle of three daughters. Her elder sister, Leslie, is a housewife who sings opera. Her younger sister, Lynda, is a DJ on New York's WKTU, a VH1 VJ, and a morning news show correspondent on New York's Channel 11.
Lopez's parents were born in Puerto Rico, but did not meet until both came to America. Her mother's parents were Europeans who settled in Puerto Rico. She says that it was her parents' work ethic that made a difference in her life. Lopez took singing and dancing lessons from age 5. She attended 12 years of Catholic school, including an all-girl high school. She played softball and tennis in high school and was a gymnast.
After high school, she briefly worked in a law office. During this time, she continued dance classes at night. At 18, she left home because her mother was scared by her decision to pursue show business. With casting on In Living Color (1990) in 1990, she moved to L.A., but initially hated it. Finally her boy friend, David Cruz, moved to be with her there and she learned to accept her new environment. Her career took off from her Living Color stint and reached new peaks with her portrayal of slain Latino singer Selena (1997).
- Ranked #3 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.
- (October 2002) Engaged to 'Ben Affleck' (qv).
- After four unsuccessful previous nominations, she won the worst actress Razzie for _Gigli (2003)_ (qv).
- Her ex-husband 'Cris Judd' (qv) and ex-fiancee 'Ben Affleck' (qv) share the same birthday. Ben is 3 years younger.
- Her mother won a $2.4-million jackpot at the Borgata Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey in April 2004.
- One of her first dancing gigs was dancing for an opening number by the 'New Kids on the Block' (qv) for their performance on the American Music Awards in the late 1980s. She can be clearly seen dancing with her hair in a ponytail and wearing a cap in the middle of the dance troupe.
- Grew up blocks away from actor, 'Mills Pierre' (qv), where they both took classes at Kips Bay Boys & Girls Club.
- In her Bronx neighborhood they call her "The Supernova."