Dec. 19th, 1963
Chicago, Illinois, USA
5' 8 1/2
Jennifer Beals' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Jennifer Beals (born December 19, 1963 in Chicago, Illinois and grew up in the city. With a life-long desire for acting, Beals first appeared in small high school plays and even got an uncredited bit part in My Bodyguard (1980) in 1980. After graduation, she enrolled in college at Yale University, studying American literature. She appeared in her first starring role in the movie Flashdance (1983) while still a freshman at Yale. While at Yale, she also starred in 'Franc Roddam's The Bride (1985). After graduation from Yale, Beals married independent filmmaker 'Alexandre Rockwell' in the mid-80s, and has appeared in several of his films. Most notably, she starred in his In the Soup (1992), which won the 1992 Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival and the Audience Award at the Deauville Film Festival.
Beals continued to find acting work in various movies and TV productions through the 1990s, in lead and supporting roles. Her most recent and notable role came in early 2004 with her appearing as a regular on the Showtime TV-cable series The L Word (2004) playing a lesbian art gallery manager named "Bette Porter".
- Turned down the opportunity to play herself in _"It's Like, You Know..." (1999)_ (qv).
- She and her character on _"The L Word" (2004)_ (qv), "Bette Porter", are both Yale graduates with an African-American father and a Caucasian mother.
- Stepmother to her husband, Ken Dixon's, two children.
- In _Flashdance (1983)_ (qv), the birth date that she fills out on the application form is her actual birth date in real life.
- Is a huge fan of _"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997)_ (qv) and wanted the cast to guest star on _"The L Word" (2004)_ (qv).
- Thieves took nearly $1,000 from her hotel room while she was on location in Manila, Philippines, shooting the movie _Tinikling ou 'La madonne et le dragon' (1990) (TV)_ (qv) (aka "Madonna and the Dragon"), in 1989.
- Worked at Baskin-Robbins as a teenager.
- Good friends with 'Elizabeth Berkley' (qv). The each appeared in a 'Joe Eszterhas' (qv)-written film (Berkley: _Showgirls (1995)_ (qv); Beals: _Flashdance (1983)_ (qv)), and they appeared together in _Roger Dodger (2002)_ (qv).