Oct. 22nd, 1952
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
6' 4 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Beet Accident Man
Himself - Guest
Verminous Skumm (Voiced)
Born Jeffrey Lynn Goldblum on October 22, 1952 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, actor Jeff Goldblum began his career on the New York stage after moving to the city at the age of seventeen.
Possessing his own unique style of delivery, Goldblum made an impression on moviegoers with little more than a single line in Woody Allen's Annie Hall (1977), when he fretted about having forgotten his mantra. Goldblum went on to appear in the remake Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) before a high-profile turn in the classic ensemble film The Big Chill (1983).
The quirky actor turned up in the suitably quirky film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984), which became a 1980s cult classic, then went on to a breakthrough role in the David Cronenberg remake The Fly (1986), which also featured actress Geena Davis, Goldblum's wife from 1987-1990 and co-star in two additional films: Transylvania 6-5000 (1985) and Julien Temple's Earth Girls Are Easy (1988).
Goldblum was the rather unlikely star of some of the biggest blockbusters of the 1990s: Steven Spielberg's dinosaur adventure Jurassic Park (1993) and its sequel, The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997), as well as the alien invasion flick Independence Day (1996). These films saw Goldblum playing the type of intellectual characters he's become associated with.
Recent roles have included critically acclaimed turns in Igby Goes Down (2002) and Wes Anderson (I)'s The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004).
- Appeared opposite his then-girlfriend 'Geena Davis' (qv) in _The Fly (1986)_ (qv), and future girlfriend 'Laura Dern' (qv) in _Jurassic Park (1993)_ (qv). In both films, each actress's character remarks that "Something went wrong.".
- In a jazz band called "The Mildred Snitzer Orchestra" with actor 'Peter Weller (I)' (qv), they perform at local clubs in Los Angeles. They were also in a band together in the movie _The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)_ (qv).
- Born on the same day as actor 'Christopher Lloyd (I)' (qv).
- (1995-1997) Engaged to 'Laura Dern' (qv).
- In three films, 'Jeff Goldblum' (qv) plays characters that have some sort of vomit-related sickness. In _The Right Stuff (1983)_ (qv) he plays a NASA promoter who gets seasick. In _The Fly (1986)_ (qv), Seth Brundle gets motion sickness which is why he invents teleporting. And in _Independence Day (1996)_ (qv), David Levinson gets airsick. It's unknown if Goldblum actually suffers from any of these.
- Studied acting at New York City's prestigious Neighborhood Playhouse under the guidance of legendary acting coach, 'Sanford Meisner' (qv).
- Father was a doctor and mother a radio broadcaster. Has two older brothers, Rick and Lee, and a sister Pamela. Older brother Rick (by four years) died of kidney failure while traveling in Morocco at age 23. Lee is a realtor and Pamela an artist.
- Appears alongside ex-wife 'Geena Davis' (qv) in three films, back to back: _Transylvania 6-5000 (1985)_ (qv); _The Fly (1986)_ (qv) and _Earth Girls Are Easy (1988)_ (qv).