Apr. 28th, 1950
New Rochelle, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Crystal Ball (Voiced)
The Crimson Chin (Voiced)
Himself - Car Collector
Himself - Guest
Jay Leno began his career in night clubs, where he worked 300 nights a year before hitting it big in 1992 with his own late-night talk show, "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992). By that time he had appeared on television, acted in a few films (American Hot Wax (1978)) but hit paydirt with his late-night television appearances (he made a record number of visits to "Late Night with David Letterman" (1982)); for several years, he served as Johnny Carson (I)'s permanent guest host on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" (1962). A big, sweet guy with a very good comedy routine, he vied with David Letterman to inherit Carson's seat when Johnny retired in 1992. His victory was well-publicized, but empty, though he did gain a measure of revenge when his show beat Letterman's for the Emmy in 1995. Though he consistently lost in the ratings to Letterman except on special occasions, like Hugh Grant (I)'s first TV appearance after his encounter with Divine Brown (I), he surged ahead in 1996, as CBS plunged further into oblivion.
- He has recently started a tradition for his Thanksgiving day shows. Each year on Thanksgiving Day, the entire audience is made up of men and women of the Armed Forces. He is usually the only late-night host to tape a new show on Thanksgiving Day.
- A 1972 graduate of Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- He will step down as host of the _"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992)_ (qv) in 2009. His replacement will be current NBC _"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" (1993)_ (qv) host 'Conan O'Brien' (qv).
- He and his wife were contestants on the couples game show _"Tattletales" (1982)_ (qv) in the early 80s.
- Driver of Pace Car at 83rd Indianapolis 500; May 30, 1999.
- Had guests sign one of his Harley Davidsons (the first being 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' (qv)), after which the bike was auctioned off with the money going to help victims of the September 11th attacks.
- "The Mike Douglas Show"(1961) was the first talk show appearance for Jay Leno which aired on October 19, 1977. Danny Thomas and Teddy Pendergrass were also guests.
- Met his wife while performing at a comedy club in Los Angeles. Mavis was in the audience, and she laughed at all his jokes at the right time.