Mar. 1st, 1969
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain
Javier Bardem's Main TV Roles[no roles found]
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Javier Bardem is the youngest member of a family of actors that has been making films since the early days of Spanish cinema.He got his start in the family business at age six when he appeared in his first feature, "El Pícaro" (The Scoundrel). During his teenage years he acted in several TV series, played rugby for theSpanish National Team, and toured the country with an independent theatrical group. Javier's early film role as a sexy stud in the black comedy_Jamón, jamón (1992)_ (Ham Ham) propelled him to instant popularity and threatened to typecast him as nothing morethan a brawny sex symbol. Determined to avert a beefcake image, he refused similar subsequent roles and has gone on to win acclaim for his ability to appear almost unrecognizable from film to film. With over 25 movies and numerous awards under his belt, it is Javier's stirring, passionate performance as the persecuted Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls (2000) that will longbe remembered as his breakthrough role. He received five Best Actor awards and a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a strong-willed man who survived censorship, imprisonment, and homosexual intolerance for the privilege to write freely, only to commit suicide at age 47 in New York, ending a battle with AIDS.
- His Best Actor nomination for _Before Night Falls (2000)_ (qv) made him the first Spanish actor to receive an Academy Award nomination and his Best Supporting Actor victory for _No Country for Old Men (2007)_ (qv) made him the first Spanish actor to win an Academy Award.
- Good friends with 'Josh Brolin' (qv).
- Son of 'Pilar Bardem' (qv)
- Member of the jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 2005
- Ten years ago, a stranger in a disco asked him his name. When Javier replied, the man punched him in the face for no apparent reason, breaking his nose.
- To portray Reinaldo Arenas, Javier not only learned Cuban-Spanish, but Cuban-accented English, and lost 30 pounds to better resemble the smaller-framed Arenas.
- To become Ramón Sampedro, a 55-year-old Spanish man who made headlines with a crusade to end his own life, Javier, who was in his thirties at the time, was on the set of _Mar adentro (2004/I)_ (qv) at the crack of dawn for a five-hour makeup session that produced the necessary aging.
- Had a long relationship with Cristina Payés. They were together for ten years.