Mar. 1st, 1969
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain
Javier Bardem's Main TV Roles[no roles found]
Main Movie Roles2010 - Eat, Pray, Love
2008 - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
2007 - No Country for Old Men
2007 - Love in the Time of Cholera
2006 - Goya's Ghosts
2004 - Collateral
2002 - The Dancer Upstairs
2002 - Los Lunes Al Sol
2000 - Before Night Falls
1999 - Entre las piernas
1997 - Perdita Durango
1997 - Airbag
1997 - Live Flesh
1993 - Huevos de oro
1992 - Jamón, jamón
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Javier Bardem is the youngest member of a family of actors that has been making films since the early days of Spanish cinema.He got his start in the family business at age six when he appeared in his first feature, "El Pícaro" (The Scoundrel). During his teenage years he acted in several TV series, played rugby for theSpanish National Team, and toured the country with an independent theatrical group. Javier's early film role as a sexy stud in the black comedy_Jamón, jamón (1992)_ (Ham Ham) propelled him to instant popularity and threatened to typecast him as nothing morethan a brawny sex symbol. Determined to avert a beefcake image, he refused similar subsequent roles and has gone on to win acclaim for his ability to appear almost unrecognizable from film to film. With over 25 movies and numerous awards under his belt, it is Javier's stirring, passionate performance as the persecuted Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls (2000) that will longbe remembered as his breakthrough role. He received five Best Actor awards and a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a strong-willed man who survived censorship, imprisonment, and homosexual intolerance for the privilege to write freely, only to commit suicide at age 47 in New York, ending a battle with AIDS.
- Very good friends with 'Penélope Cruz' (qv).
- Says in interviews that he doesn't know how to drive.
- Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#73). .
- Is one of eight actors to have won an Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Golden Globe Award and SAG Award for the same performance. The others in chronological order are Geoffrey Rush for Shine (1996), Benicio Del Toro for Traffic (2000), Jamie Foxx for Ray(2004), Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote (2005), Forest Whitaker for The Last King in Scotland (2006), Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood (2007), and Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (2008).
- To portray Reinaldo Arenas, Javier not only learned Cuban-Spanish, but Cuban-accented English, and lost 30 pounds to better resemble the smaller-framed Arenas.
- Has been in a relationship with 'Penélope Cruz' (qv) since they began working together on _Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)_ (qv).
- Ten years ago, a stranger in a disco asked him his name. When Javier replied, the man punched him in the face for no apparent reason, breaking his nose.
- Actors 'Gael García Bernal' (qv) and 'Diego Luna (I)' (qv) list him as their favorite actor.