Mar. 1st, 1969
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain
Javier Bardem's Main TV Roles[no roles found]
Main Movie Roles2015 - The Gunman
2013 - The Counselor
2012 - Untitled Terrence Malick Project
2010 - Biutiful
2010 - Eat, Pray, Love
2008 - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
2007 - No Country for Old Men
2007 - Love in the Time of Cholera
2004 - Collateral
2002 - The Dancer Upstairs
2000 - Before Night Falls
1999 - Entre las piernas
1997 - Perdita Durango
1997 - Airbag
1993 - Huevos de oro
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Javier Bardem is the youngest member of a family of actors that has been making films since the early days of Spanish cinema.He got his start in the family business at age six when he appeared in his first feature, "El Pícaro" (The Scoundrel). During his teenage years he acted in several TV series, played rugby for theSpanish National Team, and toured the country with an independent theatrical group. Javier's early film role as a sexy stud in the black comedy_Jamón, jamón (1992)_ (Ham Ham) propelled him to instant popularity and threatened to typecast him as nothing morethan a brawny sex symbol. Determined to avert a beefcake image, he refused similar subsequent roles and has gone on to win acclaim for his ability to appear almost unrecognizable from film to film. With over 25 movies and numerous awards under his belt, it is Javier's stirring, passionate performance as the persecuted Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls (2000) that will longbe remembered as his breakthrough role. He received five Best Actor awards and a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a strong-willed man who survived censorship, imprisonment, and homosexual intolerance for the privilege to write freely, only to commit suicide at age 47 in New York, ending a battle with AIDS.
- Says in interviews that he doesn't know how to drive.
- Had a long relationship with Cristina Payés. They were together for ten years.
- Has four Goya Awards (the Spanish equivalent of the Oscar).
- The Bardem family owns a restaurant in Spain called La Bardemcilla. The restaurant is managed by Javier's sister, Monica.
- Javier, his mother, 'Pilar Bardem' (qv), and his siblings, 'Mónica Bardem' (qv) and 'Carlos Bardem' (qv), often appear in each other's films.
- Was originally cast as Guido Contini in _Nine (2009)_ (qv), but he turned the role down and 'Daniel Day-Lewis' (qv) was eventually given the part.
- Very good friends with 'Penélope Cruz' (qv).
- It has been confirmed that 'Penélope Cruz' (qv) is four months pregnant with his baby (5 August 2009).