Mar. 1st, 1969
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain
Javier Bardem's Main TV Roles[no roles found]
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Javier Bardem is the youngest member of a family of actors that has been making films since the early days of Spanish cinema.He got his start in the family business at age six when he appeared in his first feature, "El Pícaro" (The Scoundrel). During his teenage years he acted in several TV series, played rugby for theSpanish National Team, and toured the country with an independent theatrical group. Javier's early film role as a sexy stud in the black comedy_Jamón, jamón (1992)_ (Ham Ham) propelled him to instant popularity and threatened to typecast him as nothing morethan a brawny sex symbol. Determined to avert a beefcake image, he refused similar subsequent roles and has gone on to win acclaim for his ability to appear almost unrecognizable from film to film. With over 25 movies and numerous awards under his belt, it is Javier's stirring, passionate performance as the persecuted Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls (2000) that will longbe remembered as his breakthrough role. He received five Best Actor awards and a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a strong-willed man who survived censorship, imprisonment, and homosexual intolerance for the privilege to write freely, only to commit suicide at age 47 in New York, ending a battle with AIDS.
- It has been confirmed that 'Penélope Cruz' (qv) is four months pregnant with his baby (5 August 2009).
- Javier's original interest was in painting, and he studied at Madrid's Escuela de Artes y Oficios. Eventually, deciding he'd never be a talented painter, he drifted into a number of odd jobs, working as a bouncer, a writer, a construction worker, and even a stripper.
- Has four Goya Awards (the Spanish equivalent of the Oscar).
- Beat out 'Johnny Depp' (qv) for the role of Florentino Ariza in _Love in the Time of Cholera (2007)_ (qv).
- To become Ramón Sampedro, a 55-year-old Spanish man who made headlines with a crusade to end his own life, Javier, who was in his thirties at the time, was on the set of _Mar adentro (2004/I)_ (qv) at the crack of dawn for a five-hour makeup session that produced the necessary aging.
- Played rugby union as a teen and was on the Spanish National Team.
- Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#73). .
- His Best Actor nomination for _Before Night Falls (2000)_ (qv) made him the first Spanish actor to receive an Academy Award nomination and his Best Supporting Actor victory for _No Country for Old Men (2007)_ (qv) made him the first Spanish actor to win an Academy Award.