Sep. 25th, 1966
Putney, London, England, UK
Guest TV Roles
DS Jimmy Franks
Flemyng was born in Putney, London, the son of Scottish television and film director Gordon Flemyng. He decided he wanted to become an actor after appearing in theatrical productions at his school, Christ's Hospital in Sussex. "I always wanted to be an actor," he later told the BBC. "From the time I fancied a girl who played Dorothy in the school production of The Wizard of Oz. I auditioned for the role of the scarecrow so that I could have the most stage time with her, but she ended up running off with the tin man!"
In the 1980s, he was involved with the National Youth Theatre and the political organisation the Young Socialists. He also became involved with the Labour Party's Militant tendency, and was expelled from Labour in 1987 for selling the Militant newspaper. Flemyng has subsequently claimed that both his theatrical and political activities at this time were simply a way of meeting girls. In 1990 he was admitted to the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA), where he was a classmate of Hermione Norris. Following his graduation from LAMDA in the early 1990s he joined the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- It took 8 hours to put him into the prosthetic suit for his role as Mr. Hyde in _The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)_ (qv) and 3 hours to take the suit off.
- Played the protagonist's father in 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' despite being almost three years younger than Brad Pitt.
- With the death of Sir 'John Mills (I)' (qv) on April 23, 2005, he is the only one of the seven actors to have played Professor Bernard Quatermass - which he did in _The Quatermass Experiment (2005) (TV)_ (qv) - who is still alive. 'Reginald Tate' (qv), 'John Robinson (I)' (qv), 'André Morell (I)' (qv), 'Brian Donlevy' (qv) and 'Andrew Keir' (qv) died in 1955, 1979, 1978, 1972 and 1997 respectively.
- Dated actress 'Lena Headey' (qv) (1994-2003)
- Son of _Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965)_ (qv) director, 'Gordon Flemyng' (qv).
- Once worked as a bar tender
- Is part-owner of The Duchess Bar in Battersea, London.
- Speaks French.