Dec. 26th, 1971
Bossier City, Louisiana, USA
Jared Leto's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - Dallas Buyers Club
2007 - Chapter 27
2006 - Lonely Hearts
2005 - Lord of War
2004 - Alexander
2002 - Panic Room
2000 - American Psycho
2000 - Requiem for a Dream
1999 - Fight Club
1999 - Girl, Interrupted
1998 - Urban Legend
1998 - Basil
1998 - The Thin Red Line
1997 - Switchback
1997 - Prefontaine
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Jared Leto (born December 26, 1971) in Bossier City, Louisiana, to Constance "Connie" (Metrejon) and Anthony L. "Tony" Bryant. "Leto" is a stepfather's surname. His ancestry includes English, Cajun (French), as well as Irish, German, Scottish. Jared and his family traveled across the United States throughout Leto's childhood, living in such states as Wyoming, Virginia and Colorado. Leto would continue this trend when he initially dropped a study of painting at Philadelphia's University of the Arts in favor of a focus on acting at the School of Visual Arts in New York City.
After starting his career with television appearances in the early 1990s, Leto achieved recognition for his role as Jordan Catalano on the television series My So-Called Life (1994). He made his film debut in How to Make an American Quilt (1995) and received first notable critical praise for his performance in Prefontaine (1997). Leto played supporting roles in The Thin Red Line (1998), Fight Club (1998) and American Psycho (2000), as well as the lead role in Urban Legend (1998), and earned critical acclaim after portraying heroin addict Harry Goldfarb in Requiem for a Dream (2000). He later began focusing increasingly on his music career, returning to acting with Panic Room (2002), Alexander (2004), Lord of War (2005), Lonely Hearts (2006), Chapter 27 (2007), and Mr. Nobody (2009). He made his directorial debut in 2012 with the documentary film Artifact. Leto's performance as a transgender woman in Dallas Buyers Club (2013) earned him the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, among numerous other accolades. Leto is considered to be a method actor, known for his constant devotion to and research of his roles. He often remains completely in character for the duration of the shooting schedules of his films, even to the point of adversely affecting his health. He is also known to be selective about his film roles.
Leto is the lead vocalist, multi-instrumentalist and main songwriter for Thirty Seconds to Mars, a band he formed in 1998 in Los Angeles, California, with his older brother Shannon Leto. Their debut album, 30 Seconds to Mars (2002), was released to positive reviews but only to limited success. The band achieved worldwide fame with the release of their second album A Beautiful Lie (2005). Their following releases, This Is War (2009) and Love, Lust, Faith and Dreams (2013), received further critical and commercial success. As of September 2014, the band has sold over 15 million albums worldwide. Leto has also directed music videos, including the MTV Video Music Award–winning "The Kill" (2006), "Kings and Queens" (2009), and "Up in the Air" (2013).
- Transfered from UARTS in Philly to School of Visual Arts in Manhattan to study Film and Video.
- One of his favorite cities is Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Is in a band called '30 Seconds to Mars' (qv) with his brother 'Shannon Leto' (qv) and 'Tomo Milicevic' (qv). The band has two albums out; their self-titled debut album and their second album is entitled "A Beautiful Lie.".
- Jared is a lacto-ovo vegetarian.
- He gained 62 lb for his latest role, playing Mark David Chapman, in _Chapter 27 (2007)_ (qv). Then lost the weight by going on an all-liquid diet consisting of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and water. He lost 20 lb in 10 days.
- His hobbies include snowboarding, skateboarding, hiking, writing songs, reading, and painting.
- In many of his movies, he is disfigured in some way. In _Requiem for a Dream (2000)_ (qv), his arm becomes infected and is amputated. In _Fight Club (1999)_ (qv), his face is beaten beyond recognition. In _Panic Room (2002)_ (qv), he is badly burned. In _American Psycho (2000)_ (qv), he is brutally murdered with an ax, and in Lord of War (2005)_, he is shot several times in the chest.
- Had a dog named Judas who died in May 2007.