Sep. 28th, 1964
Newton, New Jersey, USA
Guest TV Roles
Abigail Remeltindrinc (Voiced)
Herself - Correspondent
Janeane Garofalo, the petite woman with the acerbic wit, was born in Newton, New Jersey, in 1964, and had many jobs before breaking into show biz. She worked as a bike messenger, a shoe salesperson (no doubt with Al Bundy's disposition), waitress and temp secretary. Watching David Letterman on TV inspired her to write comedy, and by 1985 she was doing stand up comedy. As such, Janeane has become a cult figure, giving a voice to a generation, venting her frustration at TV, dating, relationships, life in general and anything that ticks her off in particular.
Garofalo did sketches on The Ben Stiller Show (1992) (an Emmy winning, but canceled show). She would continue to collaborate with 'Ben Stiller' in future projects. Garofalo received 2 Emmy nominations for her work on The Larry Sanders Show (1992), developing her signature character: a smart, cynical woman with a razor wit. She was not happy with her Saturday Night Live (1975) stint in 1994, and was vocal about it (of course). Transferring her persona from TV to the big screen, she moved on to movies, basically playing the character she had defined for herself. In _Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997) she portrayed a smart, cynical, successful businesswomen with a razor wit, and this time with swear words (in the movie she had developed a brand of cigarettes with fast-burning paper, for the gal on the go; in real life it is alleged she smokes Marlboros). Janeane continues to work in TV and movies, often collaborating with Ben Stiller in a number of movies like Mystery Men (1999), his easygoing style being a counterpoint to her caustic nature.
- Was offered the role of Gale Weathers in the movie _Scream (1996/I)_ (qv), but turned it down to do the movie _Sweethearts (1996)_ (qv). 'Courteney Cox' (qv) then got the role and _Scream (1996/I)_ (qv) which went on to gross more than $100 million, whereas _Sweethearts (1996)_ (qv) went straight to video.
- Hosted the _1996 MTV Movie Awards (1996) (TV)_ (qv) along with 'Ben Stiller' (qv).
- She has referred to _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) as the worst experience in her professional life.
- Married boyfriend 'Robert Cohen (I)' (qv) in 1992 at a Las Vegas drive-in chapel as a joke. They had gone to Vegas with the rest of the cast of _"The Ben Stiller Show" (1990)_ (qv) and decided to get married along with some of the other crew members. After their relationship ended they never officially got divorced.
- Was offered the Dorothy Boyd role in _Jerry Maguire (1996)_ (qv) by 'Cameron Crowe (I)' (qv), if she could lose weight, but after trimming down, she learned that 'Renée Zellweger' (qv) had won the part instead in what was to become a career-launching smash hit.
- Guest-starred in two _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) episodes, the first one called "D-Girl" and in a _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv) called "D-Girl". The "D" stands for "development". In the film industry, a D-girl is a low-level executive who considers scripts for further development.
- Studied History at Providence College, a Catholic college in Rhode Island.
- In March 2003, she made an appearance on CNN's _"Crossfire" (1982)_ (qv) to discuss the international situation involving Iraq.