Sep. 28th, 1964
Newton, New Jersey, USA
Guest TV Roles
Abigail Remeltindrinc (Voiced)
Herself - Correspondent
Janeane Garofalo, the petite woman with the acerbic wit, was born in Newton, New Jersey, in 1964, and had many jobs before breaking into show biz. She worked as a bike messenger, a shoe salesperson (no doubt with Al Bundy's disposition), waitress and temp secretary. Watching David Letterman on TV inspired her to write comedy, and by 1985 she was doing stand up comedy. As such, Janeane has become a cult figure, giving a voice to a generation, venting her frustration at TV, dating, relationships, life in general and anything that ticks her off in particular.
Garofalo did sketches on The Ben Stiller Show (1992) (an Emmy winning, but canceled show). She would continue to collaborate with 'Ben Stiller' in future projects. Garofalo received 2 Emmy nominations for her work on The Larry Sanders Show (1992), developing her signature character: a smart, cynical woman with a razor wit. She was not happy with her Saturday Night Live (1975) stint in 1994, and was vocal about it (of course). Transferring her persona from TV to the big screen, she moved on to movies, basically playing the character she had defined for herself. In _Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997) she portrayed a smart, cynical, successful businesswomen with a razor wit, and this time with swear words (in the movie she had developed a brand of cigarettes with fast-burning paper, for the gal on the go; in real life it is alleged she smokes Marlboros). Janeane continues to work in TV and movies, often collaborating with Ben Stiller in a number of movies like Mystery Men (1999), his easygoing style being a counterpoint to her caustic nature.
- Was the original choice to play Monica on _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv), but turned down the role.
- Is of Italian and Irish descent.
- Guest-starred in two _"Law & Order" (1990)_ (qv) episodes, the first one called "D-Girl" and in a _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv) called "D-Girl". The "D" stands for "development". In the film industry, a D-girl is a low-level executive who considers scripts for further development.
- Her production company is: I Hate Myself Productions.
- Married boyfriend 'Robert Cohen (I)' (qv) in 1992 at a Las Vegas drive-in chapel as a joke. They had gone to Vegas with the rest of the cast of _"The Ben Stiller Show" (1990)_ (qv) and decided to get married along with some of the other crew members. After their relationship ended they never officially got divorced.
- 'Laura San Giacomo' (qv)'s role (Maya Gallo) in _"Just Shoot Me!" (1997)_ (qv) is based on Garofalo.
- Daughter of 'Carmine Garofalo' (qv).
- Graduated from James E. Taylor High School in Katy, Texas class of '82 after being transferred her senior year.