Sep. 28th, 1964
Newton, New Jersey, USA
Guest TV Roles
Abigail Remeltindrinc (Voiced)
Herself - Correspondent
Janeane Garofalo, the petite woman with the acerbic wit, was born in Newton, New Jersey, in 1964, and had many jobs before breaking into show biz. She worked as a bike messenger, a shoe salesperson (no doubt with Al Bundy's disposition), waitress and temp secretary. Watching David Letterman on TV inspired her to write comedy, and by 1985 she was doing stand up comedy. As such, Janeane has become a cult figure, giving a voice to a generation, venting her frustration at TV, dating, relationships, life in general and anything that ticks her off in particular.
Garofalo did sketches on The Ben Stiller Show (1992) (an Emmy winning, but canceled show). She would continue to collaborate with 'Ben Stiller' in future projects. Garofalo received 2 Emmy nominations for her work on The Larry Sanders Show (1992), developing her signature character: a smart, cynical woman with a razor wit. She was not happy with her Saturday Night Live (1975) stint in 1994, and was vocal about it (of course). Transferring her persona from TV to the big screen, she moved on to movies, basically playing the character she had defined for herself. In _Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997) she portrayed a smart, cynical, successful businesswomen with a razor wit, and this time with swear words (in the movie she had developed a brand of cigarettes with fast-burning paper, for the gal on the go; in real life it is alleged she smokes Marlboros). Janeane continues to work in TV and movies, often collaborating with Ben Stiller in a number of movies like Mystery Men (1999), his easygoing style being a counterpoint to her caustic nature.
- Garofalo, barely five feet tall, sometimes had to stand on a box just to be in the same frame with 6-foot co-star 'Uma Thurman' (qv) in _The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996)_ (qv).
- In 1984, she had breast reduction surgery. The surgery reduced her measurement from a 36D cup to a B cup.
- She is a vegetarian.
- Daughter of 'Carmine Garofalo' (qv).
- Attended Madison High School in Madison, New Jersey.
- Was offered the Dorothy Boyd role in _Jerry Maguire (1996)_ (qv) by 'Cameron Crowe (I)' (qv), if she could lose weight, but after trimming down, she learned that 'Renée Zellweger' (qv) had won the part instead in what was to become a career-launching smash hit.
- It is said that Daria Morgendorfer, self-titled character of, _"Daria" (1997)_ (qv), the spin-off of _"Beavis and Butt-Head" (1993)_ (qv) , was modeled after her. While the Daria character did exist long before the creators chose to model the character after Garafolo (as a character in the original _"Beavis and Butt-Head" (1993)_ (qv) show), she was a background character (with a line of dialog every once in a while) and was therefore not developed.
- In his DVD commentary for _Dogma (1999)_ (qv), director 'Kevin Smith (I)' (qv) said that in retrospect he wished he offered the role of Bethany to Garofalo instead of 'Linda Fiorentino' (qv), whom he found very difficult to work with and on some days, she in fact wasn't even speaking to him. Garofalo appeared in _Dogma (1999)_ (qv) as Liz at the abortion clinic.