Apr. 18th, 1961
Ilford, Essex, England, UK
Jane Leeves' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Leeves made her screen debut with a small role in the 1988 popular British comedy television show The Benny Hill Show, and appeared as a dancer in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Leeves moved to the United States, where she performed in small roles. In 1986–1988, Leeves garnered her first leading role in the short-lived sitcom Throb and then secured a recurring part in the television sitcom Murphy Brown. In 1993 she achieved wider fame as Daphne Moon on the television sitcom Frasier for the entire run of the series, from 1993 until 2004, for which she was nominated for Emmy Awards and Golden Globe Awards during the show's run. She received further recognition for her performances in Miracle on 34th Street (1994), James and the Giant Peach (1996), Music of the Heart (1999) and The Event (2003).
She has worked in television production, but beginning in June 2010, Leeves returned to acting, as Joy on TV Land's sitcom Hot in Cleveland. Leeves was born in Ilford, Essex before moving to Crawley, Sussex and then East Grinstead. Early in her career she trained as a ballet dancer at Bush Davies School of Dance and worked as a model, until she made her first film appearance in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Jane abandoned the possibility of a career in ballet due to an ankle in
- Has a production company called Bristol Cities (cockney rhyming slang) with her sister Kathryn and _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv) co-star 'Peri Gilpin' (qv).
- During the _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv) episode "It Takes Two to Tangle" (2001), "Niles" ('David Hyde Pierce' (qv)) tells "Ros" ('Peri Gilpin' (qv)) that "Daphne" (Leeves) lost 9 lbs and 12 ounces at the spa. Jane Leeves' pregnancy had fed the storyline that Daphne had lost control of her weight, and Pierce was referring to the birth of Leeves' daughter Isabella Kathryn Coben, who was 9lbs. 12oz.
- Son, Finn William Leeves Coben, born 19 December 2003
- Plays a tourist in 'David Lee Roth' (qv)'s "California Girls" video (1985).
- Daughter of an engineer and a nurse, Jane Leeves was born in Ilford, Essex, England. She was raised in East Grinstead, Sussex, along with two sisters and a brother.
- Appeared as an uncredited dancer in the "Christmas in Heaven" sequence in _The Meaning of Life (1983)_ (qv).
- Originally trained to be a ballerina, until she suffered an ankle injury. Has also worked as a model.
- Although born in Ilford Essex and brought up in East Grinstead in Sussex, she affects completly different accent (Mancunian) from 250 miles away for _"Frasier" (1993)_ (qv).