Apr. 5th, 1946
Marylebone, London, England, UK
Jane Asher's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Death at a Funeral
1985 - Dreamchild
1966 - Alfie
1964 - The Masque of the Red Death
1955 - The Quatermass Xperiment
Guest TV Roles
Lady Jane Grey
Asher was the middle of three children born to Dr. Richard Alan John and Margaret Asher, née Eliot, in Willesden, North West London. Her father was a consultant in blood and mental diseases at the Central Middlesex Hospital in Acton, West London as well as being a broadcaster and author of many notable medical articles; her mother was a professor of oboe at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama and taught George Martin to play the instrument. She also taught Paul McCartney to play the recorder. She was educated at Queen's College in Harley Street, London. Her younger sister is the radio actress Clare Asher; her elder brother is record producer Peter Asher, formerly one half of the duo Peter & Gordon, and whose daughter is Victoria Asher, keytarist of the band Cobra Starship.
Asher's first appearance as a child actress was as Nina in the 1952 film Mandy. Other film appearances were the 1955 science fiction film The Quatermass Xperiment, and, co-starring with Kenneth More and Susannah York and in the 1961 UK film The Greengage Summer, which was released in the United States as Loss of Innocence. She also appeared as her distant relative Lady Jane Grey in the 1962 film and Disney TV programme, The Prince and the Pauper. British TV appearances included three episodes (1956–1958) of the British TV series, The Adventures of Robin Hood (working alongside her brother Peter), and as a panellist on the BBC's Juke Box Jury.
- 'Paul McCartney' (qv) moved into the spare bedroom in the attic of the Asher household at 57 Wimpole Street, London, in November 1963 and stayed until early 1966.
- Her mother was born on February 26, 1914. Her maternal grandparents' names were Edward Granville Eliot and Clara Louisa Phelips.
- Received an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Bristol in July 2001
- Younger sister of 'Peter Asher' (qv) who was one of the members of the singing duo 'Peter and Gordon' (qv) and later became a record producer.
- Has a younger sister, Claire, who acted in the BBC radio series "Mrs. Dale's Diary" in the late 1950s and who is now a schoolteacher in London.
- Her father, Dr. Richard Asher, was a psychiatrist and her mother Margaret Augusta Eliot was a classical music professor at the Guildhall School of Drama and Music. Her mother used to play the oboe in symphony orchestras but quit in order to have a family. However she continued to give private lessons in her home; one of her students was future 'Beatles' producer 'George Martin (I)' (qv), long before Jane and 'Paul McCartney' (qv) ever met.
- She made her first professional appearance at the age of five in the film _Mandy (1952)_ (qv).
- By the time she was fifteen, she had appeared in 8 films, made 9 television appearances, over 100 radio appearances and was in five plays.
Related sites for this celeb