Apr. 3rd, 1973
Hammersmith, London, England, UK
Jamie Bamber's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles
Lt. Dotsy Doheny
Jamie Bamber (born 3 April 1973) is a British actor, known most widely for his role as Lee Adama on Battlestar Galactica. He also had a major supporting role in the Hornblower series, was a regular on UK series Ultimate Force and Peak Practice, and has made numerous television guest appearances including Cold Case, Dollhouse, Ghost Whisperer and The Last Detective. He currently stars as Detective Sergeant Matt Devlin on the ITV series Law & Order: UK
Bamber was born Jamie St John Bamber Griffith in Hammersmith, London, to Elizabeth Bamber, a native of Northern Ireland and Ralph Griffith, an American. He holds British and American citizenship. Bamber has five brothers and a sister, actress Anastasia Griffith.
Bamber was educated at St Paul's School in Barnes, London, and received a First in Modern Languages (Italian and French) from St John's College, Cambridge, before attending the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.
Outside of Battlestar Galactica, Bamber's most well-known role has been as Matt Devlin on Law & Order: UK, in which he has appeared since 2009. The character bears some similarities to the original Law & Order character Mike Logan; he will return for the show's fourth series, which begins airing in January 2011. Bamber previously played Lieutenant Archibald 'Archie' Kennedy in the popular ITV series Hornblower. He appeared in five of the made-for-TV movies, in which Kennedy (rising in ranks from midshipman to lieutenant) has a much expanded role from that essayed in C.S. Forester's novels.
Bamber has also had roles in the theatre. In 2005 he received good reviews for his performance as Mephistopheles in Dr Faustus; he also portrayed Prince Hal in Henry IV, Parts 1 and 2 at the Bristol Old Vic in 2002. He has also acted in radio serials, playing major roles such as Sebastian Flyte in Brideshead Revisited and Philip in Where Angels Fear to Tread for BBC Radio 4. Bamber played the starring role in 2008's film Pulse 2: Afterlife, a direct-to-DVD sequel and also starred in Ghost Rig along with Kerry Norton, who was later to become his wife.
He guest starred in the second season premiere of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse where his character is wed to Echo, played by Eliza Dushku, during one of her missions.
Bamber will make his French-language acting debut in 2011 in Martin Valente's Un jour mon père viendra, portraying the fiancé of the female lead played by French pop star Olivia Ruiz. According to Bamber, his character is loosely based on Andre Agassi. The film also stars François Berléand and Gérard Jugnot.
Bamber is married to British actress and singer Kerry Norton. The couple have three daughters: Isla, and identical twins Darcy and Ava.
Bamber has appeared in an ad for PETA opposing the killing of Canadian black bears for fur.
- Twin daughters, Ava and Darcy, born August 27, 2004.
- For all the theatre work he's done, he would love to do Hamlet.
- In 2009, appeared shirtless (and with chest hair) in print advertisements for PETA, encouraging "bare skin, not bearskin," meant to help draw attention to the fact that the fur of Canadian black bears is used to make the fur caps for the Queen's Guard.
- Spent his early school years in Paris and moved back to the UK at age 7.
- Best friends with 'Ioan Gruffudd' (qv) of "Hornblower" and "Fantastic Four" fame.
- Interests: Rugby, Golf, Horseback-riding, Skiing, Dancing, Rap-Music
- Bamber is his mother's maiden name.
- During his first degree studies of French and Italian literature he spent a year studying in Italy. After graduating he decided to go into acting professionally and studied at LAMDA.