51 (passed away Jun. 19th, 2013)
Sep. 18th, 1961
Westwood, New Jersey, USA
6' 0 1/2
James Gandolfini's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Drop
2013 - Enough Said
2013 - Violet & Daisy
2013 - The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
2013 - Down the Shore
2012 - Not Fade Away
2012 - Zero Dark Thirty
2012 - Killing Them Softly
2010 - Welcome to the Rileys
2009 - Where the Wild Things Are
2009 - In the Loop
2009 - The Taking of Pelham 123
2006 - Lonely Hearts
2006 - All the King's Men
2005 - Romance & Cigarettes
2004 - Surviving Christmas
2001 - The Man Who Wasn't There
2001 - The Mexican
2001 - The Last Castle
1999 - 8MM
1998 - The Mighty
1998 - A Civil Action
1998 - Fallen
1997 - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
1997 - Perdita Durango
1997 - Night Falls on Manhattan
1996 - The Juror
1995 - Crimson Tide
1995 - Get Shorty
1994 - Terminal Velocity
1993 - Mr. Wonderful
1993 - True Romance
1993 - Money for Nothing
1992 - A Stranger Among Us
1991 - The Last Boy Scout
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
New Jersey-born James Gandolfini began acting in the New York theater. His Broadway debut was in the 1992 revival of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Jessica Lange and Alec Baldwin. James' breakthrough role was his portrayal of Virgil the hitman in Tony Scott (I)'s True Romance (1993), but the role that brought him worldwide fame and accolades was as complex Mafia boss Tony Soprano in HBO's smash hit series "The Sopranos" (1999). He currently lives in Greenwich Village in New York City.
- Used to bartend in Manhattan during years as struggling actor.
- In _Crimson Tide (1995)_ (qv) he played an officer on the U.S.S. Alabama. In _True Romance (1993)_ (qv), he beats up a woman named Alabama, played by 'Patricia Arquette' (qv).
- Lost more than 40 pounds for his role in _The Mexican (2001)_ (qv), but had to gain it all back before shooting for the HBO series _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv) because executives didn't believe the audience would like a "skinny" Tony.
- Financed the construction of a restaurant called Vines in Oneonta, New York for his childhood pal Clive Griffiths, who needed the money to launch it. Griffiths has since paid him back, and then some.
- For his role as Eddie Poole in _8MM (1999)_ (qv), Gandolfini met a variety of real porn directors and producers to get a feel for their line of work and to get a taste of their personalities, and is said to have loosely based his character on several of them.
- Well trained in Krav Maga, (an Israeli style of Martial Arts) which he practiced for 2 1/2 years.
- Known to be a shy man, uncomfortable being a celebrity.
- (January 2004) Became engaged to 'Lora Somoza' (qv).