51 (passed away Jun. 19th, 2013)
Sep. 18th, 1961
Westwood, New Jersey, USA
6' 0 1/2
James Gandolfini's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Drop
2013 - The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
2013 - Down the Shore
2013 - Enough Said
2013 - Violet & Daisy
2012 - Zero Dark Thirty
2012 - Killing Them Softly
2012 - Not Fade Away
2010 - Welcome to the Rileys
2009 - Where the Wild Things Are
2009 - In the Loop
2009 - The Taking of Pelham 123
2006 - All the King's Men
2006 - Lonely Hearts
2005 - Romance & Cigarettes
2004 - Surviving Christmas
2001 - The Mexican
2001 - The Last Castle
2001 - The Man Who Wasn't There
1999 - 8MM
1998 - Fallen
1998 - The Mighty
1998 - A Civil Action
1997 - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
1997 - Perdita Durango
1997 - Night Falls on Manhattan
1996 - The Juror
1995 - Get Shorty
1995 - Crimson Tide
1994 - Terminal Velocity
1993 - True Romance
1993 - Money for Nothing
1993 - Mr. Wonderful
1992 - A Stranger Among Us
1991 - The Last Boy Scout
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
New Jersey-born James Gandolfini began acting in the New York theater. His Broadway debut was in the 1992 revival of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Jessica Lange and Alec Baldwin. James' breakthrough role was his portrayal of Virgil the hitman in Tony Scott (I)'s True Romance (1993), but the role that brought him worldwide fame and accolades was as complex Mafia boss Tony Soprano in HBO's smash hit series "The Sopranos" (1999). He currently lives in Greenwich Village in New York City.
- (November 2001) TV mobster Gandolfini turned to the right side of the law when he saw a woman being mugged in his native New York recently. Passers-by were shocked to see the tough-guy step in and rescue a woman when she was knocked down and had her bag snatched whilst walking down a dimly lit street.
- Lost more than 40 pounds for his role in _The Mexican (2001)_ (qv), but had to gain it all back before shooting for the HBO series _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv) because executives didn't believe the audience would like a "skinny" Tony.
- (January 2004) Became engaged to 'Lora Somoza' (qv).
- Nominated for the 2009 Tony Award for Best Performance for a Leading Actor in a Play for "God of Carnage".
- Says he is nothing like "Tony Soprano" in real life, describing his own personality as being more like a "260-pound 'Woody Allen' (qv)".
- Became close friends with Sopranos co-star, Lorraine Bracco during the filming of the HBO series. During her close ups, during their scenes, he would 'moon' her to try and put her off. This was confirmed during James' interview on Inside The Actor's Studio.
- Named one of E!'s "top 20 entertainers of 2001."