51 (passed away Jun. 19th, 2013)
Sep. 18th, 1961
Westwood, New Jersey, USA
6' 0 1/2
James Gandolfini's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Drop
2013 - The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
2013 - Down the Shore
2013 - Enough Said
2013 - Violet & Daisy
2012 - Zero Dark Thirty
2012 - Killing Them Softly
2012 - Not Fade Away
2010 - Welcome to the Rileys
2009 - The Taking of Pelham 123
2009 - Where the Wild Things Are
2009 - In the Loop
2006 - All the King's Men
2006 - Lonely Hearts
2005 - Romance & Cigarettes
2004 - Surviving Christmas
2001 - The Mexican
2001 - The Last Castle
2001 - The Man Who Wasn't There
1999 - 8MM
1998 - Fallen
1998 - The Mighty
1998 - A Civil Action
1997 - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
1997 - Perdita Durango
1997 - Night Falls on Manhattan
1996 - The Juror
1995 - Get Shorty
1995 - Crimson Tide
1994 - Terminal Velocity
1993 - Mr. Wonderful
1993 - True Romance
1993 - Money for Nothing
1992 - A Stranger Among Us
1991 - The Last Boy Scout
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
New Jersey-born James Gandolfini began acting in the New York theater. His Broadway debut was in the 1992 revival of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Jessica Lange and Alec Baldwin. James' breakthrough role was his portrayal of Virgil the hitman in Tony Scott (I)'s True Romance (1993), but the role that brought him worldwide fame and accolades was as complex Mafia boss Tony Soprano in HBO's smash hit series "The Sopranos" (1999). He currently lives in Greenwich Village in New York City.
- Was considered for the role of Ben Grimm/The Thing in _Fantastic Four (2005)_ (qv).
- Known to be a shy man, uncomfortable being a celebrity.
- Was in attendance at 'Chris Penn (I)' (qv)'s funeral
- Has co-starred with 'John Travolta' (qv) in four movies: _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), _She's So Lovely (1997)_ (qv), _A Civil Action (1998)_ (qv), and _Lonely Hearts (2006)_ (qv).
- In _Crimson Tide (1995)_ (qv), James refers to 'Robert Mitchum' (qv) and 'Cary Grant' (qv), two actors he also references in _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv).
- Financed the construction of a restaurant called Vines in Oneonta, New York for his childhood pal Clive Griffiths, who needed the money to launch it. Griffiths has since paid him back, and then some.
- (November 2001) TV mobster Gandolfini turned to the right side of the law when he saw a woman being mugged in his native New York recently. Passers-by were shocked to see the tough-guy step in and rescue a woman when she was knocked down and had her bag snatched whilst walking down a dimly lit street.
- Graduated from Park Ridge High School, Park Ridge, New Jersey (1979).