51 (passed away Jun. 19th, 2013)
Sep. 18th, 1961
Westwood, New Jersey, USA
6' 0 1/2
James Gandolfini's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Drop
2013 - The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
2013 - Down the Shore
2013 - Enough Said
2012 - Zero Dark Thirty
2012 - Not Fade Away
2012 - Killing Them Softly
2010 - Welcome to the Rileys
2009 - The Taking of Pelham 123
2009 - In the Loop
2009 - Where the Wild Things Are
2006 - Lonely Hearts
2004 - Surviving Christmas
2001 - The Mexican
2001 - The Last Castle
1999 - 8MM
1998 - The Mighty
1998 - Fallen
1998 - A Civil Action
1997 - Night Falls on Manhattan
1997 - Perdita Durango
1997 - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
1996 - The Juror
1995 - Get Shorty
1995 - Crimson Tide
1994 - Terminal Velocity
1993 - True Romance
1993 - Mr. Wonderful
1993 - Money for Nothing
1992 - A Stranger Among Us
1991 - The Last Boy Scout
Guest TV Roles[none found]
New Jersey-born James Gandolfini began acting in the New York theater. His Broadway debut was in the 1992 revival of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Jessica Lange and Alec Baldwin. James' breakthrough role was his portrayal of Virgil the hitman in Tony Scott (I)'s True Romance (1993), but the role that brought him worldwide fame and accolades was as complex Mafia boss Tony Soprano in HBO's smash hit series "The Sopranos" (1999). He currently lives in Greenwich Village in New York City.
- Became engaged to 'Lora Somoza' (qv) in January 2004. Broke up, amicably, in February 2005.
- Attended Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Was considered for the role of Ben Grimm/The Thing in _Fantastic Four (2005)_ (qv).
- Was in attendance at 'Chris Penn (I)' (qv)'s funeral
- (November 2001) TV mobster Gandolfini turned to the right side of the law when he saw a woman being mugged in his native New York recently. Passers-by were shocked to see the tough-guy step in and rescue a woman when she was knocked down and had her bag snatched whilst walking down a dimly lit street.
- Has often said 'Robert De Niro' (qv) played a considerable role in his decision to become an actor; grew up watching _Mean Streets (1973)_ (qv) over and over again.
- Became close friends with Sopranos co-star, Lorraine Bracco during the filming of the HBO series. During her close ups, during their scenes, he would 'moon' her to try and put her off. This was confirmed during James' interview on Inside The Actor's Studio.
- Nominated for the 2009 Tony Award for Best Performance for a Leading Actor in a Play for "God of Carnage".