51 (passed away Jun. 19th, 2013)
Sep. 18th, 1961
Westwood, New Jersey, USA
6' 0 1/2
James Gandolfini's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Drop
2010 - Welcome to the Rileys
2009 - Where the Wild Things Are
2009 - The Taking of Pelham 123
2009 - In the Loop
2006 - All the King's Men
2006 - Lonely Hearts
2005 - Romance & Cigarettes
2004 - Surviving Christmas
2001 - The Mexican
2001 - The Last Castle
2001 - The Man Who Wasn't There
1999 - 8MM
1998 - The Mighty
1998 - A Civil Action
1998 - Fallen
1997 - Perdita Durango
1997 - She's so Lovely
1996 - The Juror
1995 - Get Shorty
1995 - Crimson Tide
1994 - Terminal Velocity
1993 - Mr. Wonderful
1993 - True Romance
1992 - A Stranger Among Us
Guest TV Roles
New Jersey-born James Gandolfini began acting in the New York theater. His Broadway debut was in the 1992 revival of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Jessica Lange and Alec Baldwin. James' breakthrough role was his portrayal of Virgil the hitman in Tony Scott (I)'s True Romance (1993), but the role that brought him worldwide fame and accolades was as complex Mafia boss Tony Soprano in HBO's smash hit series "The Sopranos" (1999). He currently lives in Greenwich Village in New York City.
- Lost more than 40 pounds for his role in _The Mexican (2001)_ (qv), but had to gain it all back before shooting for the HBO series _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv) because executives didn't believe the audience would like a "skinny" Tony.
- Is friends with former New York Mayor 'Rudolph W. Giuliani' (qv).
- Financed the construction of a restaurant called Vines in Oneonta, New York for his childhood pal Clive Griffiths, who needed the money to launch it. Griffiths has since paid him back, and then some.
- (January 2004) Became engaged to 'Lora Somoza' (qv).
- Was in attendance at 'Chris Penn (I)' (qv)'s funeral
- Says he is nothing like "Tony Soprano" in real life, describing his own personality as being more like a "260-pound 'Woody Allen' (qv)".
- In _Crimson Tide (1995)_ (qv) he played an officer on the U.S.S. Alabama. In _True Romance (1993)_ (qv), he beats up a woman named Alabama, played by 'Patricia Arquette' (qv).
- Became close friends with Sopranos co-star, Lorraine Bracco during the filming of the HBO series. During her close ups, during their scenes, he would 'moon' her to try and put her off. This was confirmed during James' interview on Inside The Actor's Studio.