51 (passed away Jun. 19th, 2013)
Sep. 18th, 1961
Westwood, New Jersey, USA
6' 0 1/2
James Gandolfini's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
New Jersey-born James Gandolfini began acting in the New York theater. His Broadway debut was in the 1992 revival of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Jessica Lange and Alec Baldwin. James' breakthrough role was his portrayal of Virgil the hitman in Tony Scott (I)'s True Romance (1993), but the role that brought him worldwide fame and accolades was as complex Mafia boss Tony Soprano in HBO's smash hit series "The Sopranos" (1999). He currently lives in Greenwich Village in New York City.
- Was considered for the role of Ben Grimm/The Thing in _Fantastic Four (2005)_ (qv).
- His sister Johanna is a prominent official with the New Jersey Family Court system.
- Graduated from Park Ridge High School, Park Ridge, New Jersey (1979).
- Has often said 'Robert De Niro' (qv) played a considerable role in his decision to become an actor; grew up watching _Mean Streets (1973)_ (qv) over and over again.
- Became close friends with Sopranos co-star, Lorraine Bracco during the filming of the HBO series. During her close ups, during their scenes, he would 'moon' her to try and put her off. This was confirmed during James' interview on Inside The Actor's Studio.
- Has co-starred with 'John Travolta' (qv) in four movies: _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), _She's So Lovely (1997)_ (qv), _A Civil Action (1998)_ (qv), and _Lonely Hearts (2006)_ (qv).
- Lost more than 40 pounds for his role in _The Mexican (2001)_ (qv), but had to gain it all back before shooting for the HBO series _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv) because executives didn't believe the audience would like a "skinny" Tony.
- Was in attendance at 'Chris Penn (I)' (qv)'s funeral