51 (passed away Jun. 19th, 2013)
Sep. 18th, 1961
Westwood, New Jersey, USA
6' 0 1/2
James Gandolfini's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Drop
2013 - The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
2013 - Down the Shore
2013 - Enough Said
2013 - Violet & Daisy
2012 - Killing Them Softly
2012 - Not Fade Away
2012 - Zero Dark Thirty
2010 - Welcome to the Rileys
2009 - Where the Wild Things Are
2009 - In the Loop
2009 - The Taking of Pelham 123
2006 - All the King's Men
2006 - Lonely Hearts
2005 - Romance & Cigarettes
2004 - Surviving Christmas
2001 - The Mexican
2001 - The Last Castle
2001 - The Man Who Wasn't There
1999 - 8MM
1998 - The Mighty
1998 - A Civil Action
1998 - Fallen
1997 - Night Falls on Manhattan
1997 - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
1997 - Perdita Durango
1996 - The Juror
1995 - Get Shorty
1995 - Crimson Tide
1994 - Terminal Velocity
1993 - True Romance
1993 - Money for Nothing
1993 - Mr. Wonderful
1992 - A Stranger Among Us
1991 - The Last Boy Scout
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
New Jersey-born James Gandolfini began acting in the New York theater. His Broadway debut was in the 1992 revival of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Jessica Lange and Alec Baldwin. James' breakthrough role was his portrayal of Virgil the hitman in Tony Scott (I)'s True Romance (1993), but the role that brought him worldwide fame and accolades was as complex Mafia boss Tony Soprano in HBO's smash hit series "The Sopranos" (1999). He currently lives in Greenwich Village in New York City.
- Financed the construction of a restaurant called Vines in Oneonta, New York for his childhood pal Clive Griffiths, who needed the money to launch it. Griffiths has since paid him back, and then some.
- Originally cast in the "Carl Hanratty" role in _Catch Me If You Can (2002)_ (qv) but had to drop out due to _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv).
- Has often said 'Robert De Niro' (qv) played a considerable role in his decision to become an actor; grew up watching _Mean Streets (1973)_ (qv) over and over again.
- Became close friends with Sopranos co-star, Lorraine Bracco during the filming of the HBO series. During her close ups, during their scenes, he would 'moon' her to try and put her off. This was confirmed during James' interview on Inside The Actor's Studio.
- (January 2004) Became engaged to 'Lora Somoza' (qv).
- His sister Johanna is a prominent official with the New Jersey Family Court system.
- In _Crimson Tide (1995)_ (qv) he played an officer on the U.S.S. Alabama. In _True Romance (1993)_ (qv), he beats up a woman named Alabama, played by 'Patricia Arquette' (qv).
- Used to bartend in Manhattan during years as struggling actor.