Jan. 17th, 1931
Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA
6' 1 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Lou Rush
Reverend Harris Bonham
Chief Justice Caleb Thorne
Darth Vader (Voiced)
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse (I), whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- His "death" was announced during a live broadcast of an NBA playoff game in April of 1998. The deceased was actually 'James Earl Ray' (qv), the convicted assassin of 'Martin Luther King' (qv).
- Born at 6:05am.
- Had stuttering problem as a child and said very little as a child; still struggles with the problem and says he has to think about what he says carefully before saying it (impressive, since he is known widely for his voice).
- Has appeared in two films with 'Madge Sinclair' (qv) where they play the main character's parents. In _Coming to America (1988)_ (qv), they play the mother and father of 'Eddie Murphy (I)' (qv)'s character, Hakeem. In _The Lion King (1994)_ (qv), they play the mother and father of Simba. In _Coming to America (1988)_ (qv), he appears with 'Samuel L. Jackson' (qv), who also appears with him in _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv), in which 'James Earl Jones' (qv) voices Darth Vader, the father of original trilogy hero Luke Skywalker. In _The Lion King (1994)_ (qv), Jones' character is named Mufasa. In _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv), Darth Vader is severely injured on the planet Mustafar, which necessitates the synthesized voice Jones provides.
- Was once an Army officer after college.
- Grew up in the small town of Dublin, Michigan.
- To help get over his stuttering, he would write poetry, and his schoolteachers would let him read it in front of the class.
- In the original Star Wars trilogy, he and 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv) were the only black actors to play major roles. One of 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv)'s other roles was the title role in _Scott Joplin (1977)_ (qv). 'Scott Joplin' (qv)'s ragtime music was used as the score for _The Sting (1973)_ (qv), which features James's father, 'Robert Earl Jones' (qv).