James Earl Jones
Jan. 17th, 1931
Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA
6' 1 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Detective Capt. Woodrow 'Woody' Paris
Dr. Lou Rush
Darth Vader (Voiced)
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse (I), whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- He won a Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope".
- To help get over his stuttering, he would write poetry, and his schoolteachers would let him read it in front of the class.
- Son: Flynn Earl Jones.
- Known for his humility, he declined to have his name appear on the credits of both _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv) and _Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)_ (qv), claiming that he felt his contribution wasn't significant enough to warrant a credit. He did agree to have his name appear of the credits of _Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)_ (qv).
- On October 8, 2002 appeared along with Theo Lion from PBS's _"Between the Lions" (2000)_ (qv) before the House Education Reform Subcommittee to explain the importance of supporting literacy programs.
- His father-in-law's favorite movie is _Gunga Din (1939)_ (qv).
- In the original Star Wars trilogy, he and 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv) were the only black actors to play major roles. One of 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv)'s other roles was the title role in _Scott Joplin (1977)_ (qv). 'Scott Joplin' (qv)'s ragtime music was used as the score for _The Sting (1973)_ (qv), which features James's father, 'Robert Earl Jones' (qv).
- Brother: Matthew Earl Jones.