Jan. 17th, 1931
Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA
6' 1 1/2"
James Earl Jones' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse (I), whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- Co-starred with 'Madge Sinclair' (qv) five times.
- Has appeared in two films with 'Madge Sinclair' (qv) where they play the main character's parents. In _Coming to America (1988)_ (qv), they play the mother and father of 'Eddie Murphy (I)' (qv)'s character, Hakeem. In _The Lion King (1994)_ (qv), they play the mother and father of Simba. In _Coming to America (1988)_ (qv), he appears with 'Samuel L. Jackson' (qv), who also appears with him in _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv), in which 'James Earl Jones' (qv) voices Darth Vader, the father of original trilogy hero Luke Skywalker. In _The Lion King (1994)_ (qv), Jones' character is named Mufasa. In _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv), Darth Vader is severely injured on the planet Mustafar, which necessitates the synthesized voice Jones provides.
- His father-in-law's favorite movie is _Gunga Din (1939)_ (qv).
- His parents, Ruth Connolly and 'Robert Earl Jones' (qv), separated just before he was born. He was raised by his maternal grandparents.
- Is a member of the National Rifle Assocation of America (NRA).
- Provided the thunderous voice (uncredited) of the anti-hero, Darth Vader, in the 'Star Wars' film trilogy.
- He was the first established celebrity to appear on the series _"Sesame Street" (1969)_ (qv).
- Brother: Matthew Earl Jones.