Jan. 17th, 1931
Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA
6' 1 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Lou Rush
Darth Vader (Voiced)
Reverend Harris Bonham
Chief Justice Caleb Thorne
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse (I), whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- In the original Star Wars trilogy, he and 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv) were the only black actors to play major roles. One of 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv)'s other roles was the title role in _Scott Joplin (1977)_ (qv). 'Scott Joplin' (qv)'s ragtime music was used as the score for _The Sting (1973)_ (qv), which features James's father, 'Robert Earl Jones' (qv).
- According to Jones, when George Lucas was trying to cast the voice of Darth Vader, his immediate idea was to cast Orson Welles. However, he felt that Welles was too well-known for the role. So instead he looked for an actor with a deep voice, "like Orson Welles" which is how he got cast.
- Son: Flynn Earl Jones.
- Born at 6:05am.
- His "death" was announced during a live broadcast of an NBA playoff game in April of 1998. The deceased was actually 'James Earl Ray' (qv), the convicted assassin of 'Martin Luther King' (qv).
- He used to use "Darth Vader" as his handle on his CB radio but stopped when it was freaking people out.
- Announced the forty-fifth greatest movie villain of all time by Maxim Magazine's "Fifty Greatest Movie Villains of all Time" list for his character of Darth Vader in _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv).
- Is a US Army veteran and former member of the 75th Rangers Regiment.