Jan. 17th, 1931
Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA
6' 1 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Detective Capt. Woodrow 'Woody' Paris
Dr. Lou Rush
Darth Vader (Voiced)
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse (I), whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- His parents, Ruth Connolly and 'Robert Earl Jones' (qv), separated just before he was born. He was raised by his maternal grandparents.
- Brother: Matthew Earl Jones.
- He won a Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope".
- Is of African-American, American Indian and Irish ancestry. His paternal great-great-grandmother, Parthenia Connolly, was a native of Ireland who worked as an indentured servant. She married a former slave named Brice. Because Brice had no surname of his own, he took his wife's name Connolly. His maternal grandmother, Maggie Anderson, was part Choctaw Indian. He also has Cherokee ancestry.
- Appears in _Robots (2005)_ (qv) with 'Stanley Tucci (I)' (qv). In a television biopic of 'Peter Sellers' (qv), 'Stanley Tucci (I)' (qv) played 'Stanley Kubrick' (qv), who directed 'Peter Sellers' (qv) in _Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)_ (qv), which was also Jones's first film.
- Is a member of the National Rifle Assocation of America (NRA).
- On October 8, 2002 appeared along with Theo Lion from PBS's _"Between the Lions" (2000)_ (qv) before the House Education Reform Subcommittee to explain the importance of supporting literacy programs.
- Born at 6:05am.