Jan. 17th, 1931
Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA
6' 1 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Lou Rush
Darth Vader (Voiced)
Maggie Simpson (Voiced)
Chief Justice Caleb Thorne
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse (I), whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- His father-in-law's favorite movie is _Gunga Din (1939)_ (qv).
- To help get over his stuttering, he would write poetry, and his schoolteachers would let him read it in front of the class.
- Is a member of the National Rifle Assocation of America (NRA).
- On June 15th 2005, he was forced to leave the Broadway revival of _On Golden Pond (1981)_ (qv) due to a bout of pneumonia.
- Has appeared in two films with 'Madge Sinclair' (qv) where they play the main character's parents. In _Coming to America (1988)_ (qv), they play the mother and father of 'Eddie Murphy (I)' (qv)'s character, Hakeem. In _The Lion King (1994)_ (qv), they play the mother and father of Simba. In _Coming to America (1988)_ (qv), he appears with 'Samuel L. Jackson' (qv), who also appears with him in _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv), in which 'James Earl Jones' (qv) voices Darth Vader, the father of original trilogy hero Luke Skywalker. In _The Lion King (1994)_ (qv), Jones' character is named Mufasa. In _Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)_ (qv), Darth Vader is severely injured on the planet Mustafar, which necessitates the synthesized voice Jones provides.
- Callers using Bell Atlantic pay phones often hear Jones's voice assuring them "Welcome to Bell Atlantic", just before a female voice asks for a calling card number.
- Provided the thunderous voice (uncredited) of the anti-hero, Darth Vader, in the 'Star Wars' film trilogy.
- Appears in _Robots (2005)_ (qv) with 'Stanley Tucci (I)' (qv). In a television biopic of 'Peter Sellers' (qv), 'Stanley Tucci (I)' (qv) played 'Stanley Kubrick' (qv), who directed 'Peter Sellers' (qv) in _Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)_ (qv), which was also Jones's first film.