Jan. 17th, 1931
Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA
6' 1 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Lou Rush
Darth Vader (Voiced)
Maggie Simpson (Voiced)
Chief Justice Caleb Thorne
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse (I), whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- According to Jones, when George Lucas was trying to cast the voice of Darth Vader, his immediate idea was to cast Orson Welles. However, he felt that Welles was too well-known for the role. So instead he looked for an actor with a deep voice, "like Orson Welles" which is how he got cast.
- Was once an Army officer after college.
- First African American actor to play the President of the United States in film in _The Man (1972)_.
- In the original Star Wars trilogy, he and 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv) were the only black actors to play major roles. One of 'Billy Dee Williams' (qv)'s other roles was the title role in _Scott Joplin (1977)_ (qv). 'Scott Joplin' (qv)'s ragtime music was used as the score for _The Sting (1973)_ (qv), which features James's father, 'Robert Earl Jones' (qv).
- On June 15th 2005, he was forced to leave the Broadway revival of _On Golden Pond (1981)_ (qv) due to a bout of pneumonia.
- Is of African-American, American Indian and Irish ancestry. His paternal great-great-grandmother, Parthenia Connolly, was a native of Ireland who worked as an indentured servant. She married a former slave named Brice. Because Brice had no surname of his own, he took his wife's name Connolly. His maternal grandmother, Maggie Anderson, was part Choctaw Indian. He also has Cherokee ancestry.
- Appears in _Robots (2005)_ (qv) with 'Stanley Tucci (I)' (qv). In a television biopic of 'Peter Sellers' (qv), 'Stanley Tucci (I)' (qv) played 'Stanley Kubrick' (qv), who directed 'Peter Sellers' (qv) in _Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)_ (qv), which was also Jones's first film.
- He used to use "Darth Vader" as his handle on his CB radio but stopped when it was freaking people out.