Jan. 17th, 1931
Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA
6' 1 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Lou Rush
Reverend Harris Bonham
Darth Vader (Voiced)
James Earl Jones was born in 1931 in Arkabutla, Mississippi, USA. At an early age he started to take dramatic lessons to calm himself down. It appeared to work as he has since starred in many films over a 40-year period, beginning with the Stanley Kubrick classic Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). Probably best known for his role as Darth Vader (for the voice only, as the man in the Darth Vader suit was David Prowse (I), whose voice was dubbed because of his British West Country accent). Has appeared on "The Simpsons" (1989) a couple of times and played Mufasa in The Lion King (1994). James Earl Jones returned as the voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).
- Has won two Tony Awards: in 1969, as Best Actor (Dramatic), for "The Great White Hope", a role he recreated in an Oscar-nominated performance in the film version of the same title, _The Great White Hope (1970)_ (qv) and in 1987, as Best Actor (Play), for 'August Wilson' (qv)'s "Fences".
- He's the commanding voice that says "This is CNN".
- He was awarded the American National Medal of the Arts in 1992 by the National Endowment of the Arts in Washington D.C.
- While in college, was a member of the Pershing Rifles, Co. M-3, a collegiate fraternal organizations for members of the school's ROTC program. Other members of this organization include 'Colin Powell' (qv) and 'G. Gordon Liddy' (qv).
- First African American actor to play the President of the United States in film in _The Man (1972)_.
- Had stuttering problem as a child and said very little as a child; still struggles with the problem and says he has to think about what he says carefully before saying it (impressive, since he is known widely for his voice).
- His father-in-law's favorite movie is _Gunga Din (1939)_ (qv).
- Son of prizefighter-turned-actor 'Robert Earl Jones' (qv), from whom it is said he was estranged long into adulthood.