Jan. 27th, 1940
Los Angeles, California, USA
6' 5 1/2
Guest TV Roles
Andrew W. Mellon
Born in Los Angeles but raised in Manhattan and educated at Middlebury College and Carnegie Tech, James Cromwell - the son of noted film director 'John Cromwell' - studied acting at Carnegie-Mellon. He went into the theater (like both his parents) doing everything from Shakespeare to experimental plays. He started doing TV in 1974, gaining some notice in a recurring role as Archie Bunker's buddy Stretch Cunningham in All in the Family (1971), made his film debut in 1976, and goes back to the stage periodically. Some of his more noted film roles have been in _Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and the surprise hit about a charming pig, Babe (1995). He garnered some of the best reviews of his career - many of which said he should have received an Oscar - for his role as a corrupt, conniving police captain in L.A. Confidential (1997).
- He is the only actor to ever utter the words "Star Trek" on Star Trek itself. In the movie _Star Trek: First Contact (1996)_ (qv) his character said to the crew, "...and you're all astronauts, on some kind of....star trek?"
- Son of actress 'Kay Johnson (I)' (qv) and director/actor 'John Cromwell (I)' (qv).
- Celebrity sponsor of the Great American Meatout, March 20, 2001.
- A believer in non-terrestrial intelligence.
- Worked with the Black Panthers in the 1960s.
- He is known to be a passionate liberal who openly supports several progressive political causes. He is most outspoken about the protection of animals.
- Educated at Carnegie Institute of Technology.
- Shares a birthday with actress 'Mimi Rogers' (qv), actress 'Rosamund Pike' (qv), Harrods owner 'Mohamed Al-Fayed' (qv), actor 'Alan Cumming' (qv) and actress 'Bridget Fonda' (qv).