Jan. 27th, 1940
Los Angeles, California, USA
6' 5 1/2
James Cromwell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Los Angeles but raised in Manhattan and educated at Middlebury College and Carnegie Tech, James Cromwell - the son of noted film director 'John Cromwell' - studied acting at Carnegie-Mellon. He went into the theater (like both his parents) doing everything from Shakespeare to experimental plays. He started doing TV in 1974, gaining some notice in a recurring role as Archie Bunker's buddy Stretch Cunningham in All in the Family (1971), made his film debut in 1976, and goes back to the stage periodically. Some of his more noted film roles have been in _Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and the surprise hit about a charming pig, Babe (1995). He garnered some of the best reviews of his career - many of which said he should have received an Oscar - for his role as a corrupt, conniving police captain in L.A. Confidential (1997).
- Shares a birthday with actress 'Mimi Rogers' (qv), actress 'Rosamund Pike' (qv), Harrods owner 'Mohamed Al-Fayed' (qv), actor 'Alan Cumming' (qv) and actress 'Bridget Fonda' (qv).
- Stars in the remake of _'Salem's Lot (2004) (TV)_ (qv), based on 'Stephen King (I)' (qv) 's novel, and his wife, 'Julie Cobb' (qv), starred in the original 1979 version.
- Was an outspoken opponent of the Bush Administration. Ironically, he has portrayed Bush's father on film.
- Played a US President four times - fictional President Fowler in _The Sum of All Fears (2002)_ (qv) fictional President Newman in _"The West Wing" (1999)_ (qv), 'Lyndon B. Johnson' (qv) in the telemovie _RFK (2002) (TV)_ (qv), and George H.W. Bush in 'Oliver Stone (I)' (qv)'s film _W. (2008/I)_ (qv).
- Former son-in-law of actor 'Lee J. Cobb' (qv).
- Was given the role of the Prison Warden in _The Longest Yard (2005)_ (qv) after negotiations with 'Gary Oldman' (qv) fell through.
- In _The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996)_ (qv), he plays 'Charles Keating (II)' (qv), a publisher. Keating has the same first and last initials (CK) as Charles Kane, the character in 'Orson Welles' (qv)' _Citizen Kane (1941)_ (qv). In that movie, Charles (Foster) Kane is a newspaper publisher based, in no small part, upon real-life newspaper magnate 'William Randolph Hearst' (qv). Cromwell portrayed Hearst in the behind-the-scenes look at "Citizen Kane", entitled _RKO 281 (1999) (TV)_ (qv).
- Son of actress 'Kay Johnson (I)' (qv) and director/actor 'John Cromwell (I)' (qv).