Jan. 27th, 1940
Los Angeles, California, USA
6' 5 1/2
Guest TV Roles
Andrew W. Mellon
Born in Los Angeles but raised in Manhattan and educated at Middlebury College and Carnegie Tech, James Cromwell - the son of noted film director 'John Cromwell' - studied acting at Carnegie-Mellon. He went into the theater (like both his parents) doing everything from Shakespeare to experimental plays. He started doing TV in 1974, gaining some notice in a recurring role as Archie Bunker's buddy Stretch Cunningham in All in the Family (1971), made his film debut in 1976, and goes back to the stage periodically. Some of his more noted film roles have been in _Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and the surprise hit about a charming pig, Babe (1995). He garnered some of the best reviews of his career - many of which said he should have received an Oscar - for his role as a corrupt, conniving police captain in L.A. Confidential (1997).
- (3 July 2001) Was arrested for trespassing during an animal rights demonstration in Virginia, targeting the Wendy's fast food chain. He and four other PETA protesters refused to leave after urging patrons to boycott the restaurant. Cromwell was released on his own recognizance after about five hours.
- Son of actress 'Kay Johnson (I)' (qv) and director/actor 'John Cromwell (I)' (qv).
- He is the only actor to ever utter the words "Star Trek" on Star Trek itself. In the movie _Star Trek: First Contact (1996)_ (qv) his character said to the crew, "...and you're all astronauts, on some kind of....star trek?"
- Attended the prestigious Hill School in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, the alma mater of 'Harry Hamlin' (qv) and 'Oliver Stone (I)' (qv).
- Worked with the Black Panthers in the 1960s.
- Stars in the remake of _'Salem's Lot (2004) (TV)_ (qv), based on 'Stephen King (I)' (qv) 's novel, and his wife, 'Julie Cobb' (qv), starred in the original 1979 version.
- A believer in non-terrestrial intelligence.
- Step-son of actress 'Ruth Nelson' (qv).