Jan. 27th, 1940
Los Angeles, California, USA
6' 5 1/2
James Cromwell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Los Angeles but raised in Manhattan and educated at Middlebury College and Carnegie Tech, James Cromwell - the son of noted film director 'John Cromwell' - studied acting at Carnegie-Mellon. He went into the theater (like both his parents) doing everything from Shakespeare to experimental plays. He started doing TV in 1974, gaining some notice in a recurring role as Archie Bunker's buddy Stretch Cunningham in All in the Family (1971), made his film debut in 1976, and goes back to the stage periodically. Some of his more noted film roles have been in _Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and the surprise hit about a charming pig, Babe (1995). He garnered some of the best reviews of his career - many of which said he should have received an Oscar - for his role as a corrupt, conniving police captain in L.A. Confidential (1997).
- He is the only actor to ever utter the words "Star Trek" on Star Trek itself. In the movie _Star Trek: First Contact (1996)_ (qv) his character said to the crew, "...and you're all astronauts, on some kind of....star trek?"
- Played a fictional President in _The Sum of All Fears (2002)_ (qv) and real-life President 'Lyndon Johnson (I)' (qv). 'Donald Moffat' (qv), who has also played Johnson, played the fictional President in _Clear and Present Danger (1994)_ (qv).
- Former son-in-law of actor 'Lee J. Cobb' (qv).
- Son of actress 'Kay Johnson (I)' (qv) and director/actor 'John Cromwell (I)' (qv).
- Shares a birthday with actress 'Mimi Rogers' (qv), actress 'Rosamund Pike' (qv), Harrods owner 'Mohamed Al-Fayed' (qv), actor 'Alan Cumming' (qv) and actress 'Bridget Fonda' (qv).
- Step-son of actress 'Ruth Nelson' (qv).
- Was given the role of the Prison Warden in _The Longest Yard (2005)_ (qv) after negotiations with 'Gary Oldman' (qv) fell through.
- (3 July 2001) Was arrested for trespassing during an animal rights demonstration in Virginia, targeting the Wendy's fast food chain. He and four other PETA protesters refused to leave after urging patrons to boycott the restaurant. Cromwell was released on his own recognizance after about five hours.