Jan. 27th, 1940
Los Angeles, California, USA
6' 5 1/2
Guest TV Roles
Andrew W. Mellon
Born in Los Angeles but raised in Manhattan and educated at Middlebury College and Carnegie Tech, James Cromwell - the son of noted film director 'John Cromwell' - studied acting at Carnegie-Mellon. He went into the theater (like both his parents) doing everything from Shakespeare to experimental plays. He started doing TV in 1974, gaining some notice in a recurring role as Archie Bunker's buddy Stretch Cunningham in All in the Family (1971), made his film debut in 1976, and goes back to the stage periodically. Some of his more noted film roles have been in _Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and the surprise hit about a charming pig, Babe (1995). He garnered some of the best reviews of his career - many of which said he should have received an Oscar - for his role as a corrupt, conniving police captain in L.A. Confidential (1997).
- Was given the role of the Prison Warden in _The Longest Yard (2005)_ (qv) after negotiations with 'Gary Oldman' (qv) fell through.
- Step-son of actress 'Ruth Nelson' (qv).
- A believer in non-terrestrial intelligence.
- Besides his own appearances in the Star Trek series, ex-wife 'Julie Cobb' (qv) played Yeoman Thompson in "By Any Other Name" and daughter 'Rosemary Morgan (I)' (qv) played Piri in "The Chute.".
- Played a fictional President in _The Sum of All Fears (2002)_ (qv) and real-life President 'Lyndon Johnson (I)' (qv). 'Donald Moffat' (qv), who has also played Johnson, played the fictional President in _Clear and Present Danger (1994)_ (qv).
- Educated at Carnegie Institute of Technology.
- Stars in the remake of _'Salem's Lot (2004) (TV)_ (qv), based on 'Stephen King (I)' (qv) 's novel, and his wife, 'Julie Cobb' (qv), starred in the original 1979 version.
- Former son-in-law of actor 'Lee J. Cobb' (qv).