Jan. 27th, 1940
Los Angeles, California, USA
6' 5 1/2
James Cromwell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Los Angeles but raised in Manhattan and educated at Middlebury College and Carnegie Tech, James Cromwell - the son of noted film director 'John Cromwell' - studied acting at Carnegie-Mellon. He went into the theater (like both his parents) doing everything from Shakespeare to experimental plays. He started doing TV in 1974, gaining some notice in a recurring role as Archie Bunker's buddy Stretch Cunningham in All in the Family (1971), made his film debut in 1976, and goes back to the stage periodically. Some of his more noted film roles have been in _Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and the surprise hit about a charming pig, Babe (1995). He garnered some of the best reviews of his career - many of which said he should have received an Oscar - for his role as a corrupt, conniving police captain in L.A. Confidential (1997).
- He is known to be a passionate liberal who openly supports several progressive political causes. He is most outspoken about the protection of animals.
- Former son-in-law of actor 'Lee J. Cobb' (qv).
- Stars in the remake of _'Salem's Lot (2004) (TV)_ (qv), based on 'Stephen King (I)' (qv) 's novel, and his wife, 'Julie Cobb' (qv), starred in the original 1979 version.
- Played a US President four times - fictional President Fowler in _The Sum of All Fears (2002)_ (qv) fictional President Newman in _"The West Wing" (1999)_ (qv), 'Lyndon B. Johnson' (qv) in the telemovie _RFK (2002) (TV)_ (qv), and George H.W. Bush in 'Oliver Stone (I)' (qv)'s film _W. (2008/I)_ (qv).
- Worked with the Black Panthers in the 1960s.
- He struggled somewhat early in his career due to his height and the fact that few producers wanted someone towering over their leading men. Many of his early roles show him seated or leaning on something.
- (3 July 2001) Was arrested for trespassing during an animal rights demonstration in Virginia, targeting the Wendy's fast food chain. He and four other PETA protesters refused to leave after urging patrons to boycott the restaurant. Cromwell was released on his own recognizance after about five hours.
- Shares a birthday with actress 'Mimi Rogers' (qv), actress 'Rosamund Pike' (qv), Harrods owner 'Mohamed Al-Fayed' (qv), actor 'Alan Cumming' (qv) and actress 'Bridget Fonda' (qv).