Jan. 27th, 1940
Los Angeles, California, USA
6' 5 1/2
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Los Angeles but raised in Manhattan and educated at Middlebury College and Carnegie Tech, James Cromwell - the son of noted film director 'John Cromwell' - studied acting at Carnegie-Mellon. He went into the theater (like both his parents) doing everything from Shakespeare to experimental plays. He started doing TV in 1974, gaining some notice in a recurring role as Archie Bunker's buddy Stretch Cunningham in All in the Family (1971), made his film debut in 1976, and goes back to the stage periodically. Some of his more noted film roles have been in _Revenge of the Nerds (1984) and the surprise hit about a charming pig, Babe (1995). He garnered some of the best reviews of his career - many of which said he should have received an Oscar - for his role as a corrupt, conniving police captain in L.A. Confidential (1997).
- Attended the prestigious Hill School in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, the alma mater of 'Harry Hamlin' (qv) and 'Oliver Stone (I)' (qv).
- He struggled somewhat early in his career due to his height and the fact that few producers wanted someone towering over their leading men. Many of his early roles show him seated or leaning on something.
- He is known to be a passionate liberal who openly supports several progressive political causes. He is most outspoken about the protection of animals.
- Besides his own appearances in the Star Trek series, ex-wife 'Julie Cobb' (qv) played Yeoman Thompson in "By Any Other Name" and daughter 'Rosemary Morgan (I)' (qv) played Piri in "The Chute.".
- Played a fictional President in _The Sum of All Fears (2002)_ (qv) and real-life President 'Lyndon Johnson (I)' (qv). 'Donald Moffat' (qv), who has also played Johnson, played the fictional President in _Clear and Present Danger (1994)_ (qv).
- He is the only actor to ever utter the words "Star Trek" on Star Trek itself. In the movie _Star Trek: First Contact (1996)_ (qv) his character said to the crew, "...and you're all astronauts, on some kind of....star trek?"
- Shares a birthday with actress 'Mimi Rogers' (qv), actress 'Rosamund Pike' (qv), Harrods owner 'Mohamed Al-Fayed' (qv), actor 'Alan Cumming' (qv) and actress 'Bridget Fonda' (qv).
- Celebrity sponsor of the Great American Meatout, March 20, 2001.