Aug. 16th, 1954
Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada
James Cameron's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
James Cameron was born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada, on August 16, 1954. He moved to the USA in 1971. The son of an engineer, he majored in physics at California State University but, after graduating, drove a truck to support his screen-writing ambition. He landed his first professional film job as art director, miniature-set builder, and process-projection supervisor on Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) and debuted as a director with Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) the following year.
In 1984, he wrote and directed The Terminator (1984), a futuristic action-thriller starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, and Linda Hamilton (I). It was a huge success. After this came a string of successful science-fiction action films such as Aliens (1986) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Cameron is now one of the most sought-after directors in Hollywood. He was formerly married to producer Gale Anne Hurd, who produced several of his films. He married Kathryn Bigelow in 1989.
- Married one of his producers and two of his actresses.
- Lost a plagiarism lawsuit brought by 'Harlan Ellison' (qv) involving the movie _The Terminator (1984)_ (qv). Newer prints of the film acknowledge Ellison.
- Jokingly refers to _Titanic (1997)_ (qv) as his 190 Million Dollar "Chick Flick".
- Member of the American Cinema Editors (ACE).
- (September 2000) Cameron is in talks with RKK Energia and MirCorp to pay his way on board the Mir space station (or the ISS, should Mir be deorbited). He has been given the medical green light, and has already ridden aboard the Ilushin-76 jet used to train cosmonauts for space missions.
- (15 February 1993) Daughter, with Hamilton, Josephine Archer Cameron born.
- He has developed a new generation stereo imaging camera called "The Fusion Camera"
- He and 'Suzy Amis' (qv) are owners of Childspot!, an early childhood center in Wichita, Kansas which is operated by Suzy's sister, Rebecca Amis.