Aug. 16th, 1954
Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada
James Cameron's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Mission Blue
2012 - Side by Side
2006 - Explorers: From The Titanic To The Moon
2005 - Aliens of the Deep
2004 - The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing
2003 - Ghost's Of The Abyss
1999 - The Muse
1997 - Titanic
1995 - Your Studio and You
Guest TV Roles
Himself (segment "Cameron's Avatar")
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
James Cameron was born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada, on August 16, 1954. He moved to the USA in 1971. The son of an engineer, he majored in physics at California State University but, after graduating, drove a truck to support his screen-writing ambition. He landed his first professional film job as art director, miniature-set builder, and process-projection supervisor on Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) and debuted as a director with Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) the following year.
In 1984, he wrote and directed The Terminator (1984), a futuristic action-thriller starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, and Linda Hamilton (I). It was a huge success. After this came a string of successful science-fiction action films such as Aliens (1986) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Cameron is now one of the most sought-after directors in Hollywood. He was formerly married to producer Gale Anne Hurd, who produced several of his films. He married Kathryn Bigelow in 1989.
- One of only two people to have both written and directed an Alien movie. The other is 'Paul W.S. Anderson' (qv).
- The mandibles of the Predator from _Predator (1987)_ (qv) were his idea.
- Drew the picture of Rose ('Kate Winslet' (qv)) in the movie, _Titanic (1997)_ (qv). The image was flipped so it would appear that Jack ('Leonardo DiCaprio' (qv)) was drawing it with his right hand.
- His production company is 'Lightstorm Entertainment'.
- Member of the American Cinema Editors (ACE).
- 2007- Ranked #3 on EW's The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood.
- Has a stepson named Jasper, from 'Suzy Amis' (qv)' marriage to 'Sam Robards' (qv).
- Lost a plagiarism lawsuit brought by 'Harlan Ellison' (qv) involving the movie _The Terminator (1984)_ (qv). Newer prints of the film acknowledge Ellison.