Aug. 16th, 1954
Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada
James Cameron's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
James Cameron was born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada, on August 16, 1954. He moved to the USA in 1971. The son of an engineer, he majored in physics at California State University but, after graduating, drove a truck to support his screen-writing ambition. He landed his first professional film job as art director, miniature-set builder, and process-projection supervisor on Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) and debuted as a director with Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) the following year.
In 1984, he wrote and directed The Terminator (1984), a futuristic action-thriller starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, and Linda Hamilton (I). It was a huge success. After this came a string of successful science-fiction action films such as Aliens (1986) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Cameron is now one of the most sought-after directors in Hollywood. He was formerly married to producer Gale Anne Hurd, who produced several of his films. He married Kathryn Bigelow in 1989.
- He has developed a new generation stereo imaging camera called "The Fusion Camera"
- The titles of his two current theatrical documentaries contain the titles of two of his previous films; the title of his documentary "Ghosts of the Abyss" contains the title of his previous film "The Abyss", and the title of his other documentary "Aliens of the Deep" contains the title of another one of his previous films, "Aliens".
- One of only two people to have both written and directed an Alien movie. The other is 'Paul W.S. Anderson' (qv).
- Has a daughter with 'Linda Hamilton (I)' (qv) named Josephine Archer Cameron born 15 February 1993.
- The mandibles of the Predator from _Predator (1987)_ (qv) were his idea.
- Has a stepson named Jasper, from 'Suzy Amis' (qv)' marriage to 'Sam Robards' (qv).
- Member of the American Cinema Editors (ACE).
- First wife Sharon Williams got just $1,200 from Cameron in their divorce settlement.