Aug. 16th, 1954
Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada
James Cameron's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Mission Blue
2012 - Side by Side
2006 - Explorers: From The Titanic To The Moon
2005 - Aliens of the Deep
2004 - The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing
2003 - Ghost's Of The Abyss
1999 - The Muse
1997 - Titanic
1995 - Your Studio and You
Guest TV Roles[none found]
James Cameron was born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada, on August 16, 1954. He moved to the USA in 1971. The son of an engineer, he majored in physics at California State University but, after graduating, drove a truck to support his screen-writing ambition. He landed his first professional film job as art director, miniature-set builder, and process-projection supervisor on Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) and debuted as a director with Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) the following year.
In 1984, he wrote and directed The Terminator (1984), a futuristic action-thriller starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, and Linda Hamilton (I). It was a huge success. After this came a string of successful science-fiction action films such as Aliens (1986) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Cameron is now one of the most sought-after directors in Hollywood. He was formerly married to producer Gale Anne Hurd, who produced several of his films. He married Kathryn Bigelow in 1989.
- (September 2000) Cameron is in talks with RKK Energia and MirCorp to pay his way on board the Mir space station (or the ISS, should Mir be deorbited). He has been given the medical green light, and has already ridden aboard the Ilushin-76 jet used to train cosmonauts for space missions.
- After seeing the film Star Wars in 1977, Cameron quit his job as a truck driver to enter the film industry.
- A magazine article written about him in the 1980s described how he had three desks set up in his house. At one desk, he was writing the script to _The Terminator (1984)_ (qv), on another, he was finishing the script to _Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)_ (qv) and on the third, he was writing _Aliens (1986)_ (qv).
- First wife Sharon Williams got just $1,200 from Cameron in their divorce settlement.
- Was interested in remaking _Planet of the Apes (1968)_ (qv), but his script was turned down. Another script was then developed and eventually made by 'Tim Burton (I)' (qv) in 2001.
- He and 'Suzy Amis' (qv) are owners of Childspot!, an early childhood center in Wichita, Kansas which is operated by Suzy's sister, Rebecca Amis.
- While editing _Titanic (1997)_ (qv), Cameron had a razor blade taped to the side of the editing computer with the instructions written underneath: "Use only if film sucks!".
- He is a huge Japanese anime fan, and the releasing studios often uses his opinion about the film on the DVD and VHS covers.