Aug. 16th, 1954
Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada
James Cameron's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Mission Blue
2012 - Side by Side
2006 - Explorers: From The Titanic To The Moon
2005 - Aliens of the Deep
2004 - The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing
2003 - Ghost's Of The Abyss
1999 - The Muse
1997 - Titanic
1995 - Your Studio and You
Guest TV Roles
Himself (segment "Cameron's Avatar")
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
James Cameron was born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada, on August 16, 1954. He moved to the USA in 1971. The son of an engineer, he majored in physics at California State University but, after graduating, drove a truck to support his screen-writing ambition. He landed his first professional film job as art director, miniature-set builder, and process-projection supervisor on Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) and debuted as a director with Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) the following year.
In 1984, he wrote and directed The Terminator (1984), a futuristic action-thriller starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, and Linda Hamilton (I). It was a huge success. After this came a string of successful science-fiction action films such as Aliens (1986) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Cameron is now one of the most sought-after directors in Hollywood. He was formerly married to producer Gale Anne Hurd, who produced several of his films. He married Kathryn Bigelow in 1989.
- Wrote a screenplay for _Spider-Man (2002)_ (qv) movie, but was turned down by the studios, due to the fact that his version of Spider-Man was "too violent". 'Sam Raimi' (qv)'s version got the green light instead.
- After seeing the film Star Wars in 1977, Cameron quit his job as a truck driver to enter the film industry.
- Considered directing "Solaris" (2002) but opted to produce instead. Job went to 'Steven Soderbergh' (qv).
- (15 February 1993) Daughter, with Hamilton, Josephine Archer Cameron born.
- The titles of his two current theatrical documentaries contain the titles of two of his previous films; the title of his documentary "Ghosts of the Abyss" contains the title of his previous film "The Abyss", and the title of his other documentary "Aliens of the Deep" contains the title of another one of his previous films, "Aliens".
- Co-created the newly high-definition video system with cinematographer 'Vince Pace' (qv) that was recently used to film _Ghosts of the Abyss (2003)_ (qv).
- Drew the picture of Rose ('Kate Winslet' (qv)) in the movie, _Titanic (1997)_ (qv). The image was flipped so it would appear that Jack ('Leonardo DiCaprio' (qv)) was drawing it with his right hand.
- He has developed a new generation stereo imaging camera called "The Fusion Camera"