Aug. 16th, 1954
Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada
James Cameron's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Mission Blue
2012 - Side by Side
2006 - Explorers: From The Titanic To The Moon
2005 - Aliens of the Deep
2004 - The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing
2003 - Ghost's Of The Abyss
1999 - The Muse
1997 - Titanic
1995 - Your Studio and You
Guest TV Roles
Himself (segment "Cameron's Avatar")
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
James Cameron was born in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada, on August 16, 1954. He moved to the USA in 1971. The son of an engineer, he majored in physics at California State University but, after graduating, drove a truck to support his screen-writing ambition. He landed his first professional film job as art director, miniature-set builder, and process-projection supervisor on Roger Corman's Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) and debuted as a director with Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) the following year.
In 1984, he wrote and directed The Terminator (1984), a futuristic action-thriller starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, and Linda Hamilton (I). It was a huge success. After this came a string of successful science-fiction action films such as Aliens (1986) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Cameron is now one of the most sought-after directors in Hollywood. He was formerly married to producer Gale Anne Hurd, who produced several of his films. He married Kathryn Bigelow in 1989.
- Has a stepson named Jasper, from 'Suzy Amis' (qv)' marriage to 'Sam Robards' (qv).
- He has developed a new generation stereo imaging camera called "The Fusion Camera"
- His production company is 'Lightstorm Entertainment'.
- After seeing the film Star Wars in 1977, Cameron quit his job as a truck driver to enter the film industry.
- (September 2000) Cameron is in talks with RKK Energia and MirCorp to pay his way on board the Mir space station (or the ISS, should Mir be deorbited). He has been given the medical green light, and has already ridden aboard the Ilushin-76 jet used to train cosmonauts for space missions.
- Drew the picture of Rose ('Kate Winslet' (qv)) in the movie, _Titanic (1997)_ (qv). The image was flipped so it would appear that Jack ('Leonardo DiCaprio' (qv)) was drawing it with his right hand.
- One of the founders of visual effects company 'Digital Domain'.
- When he wrote an early script treatment for _Spider-Man (2002)_ (qv), he had the idea of organic web-shooters. This was later included in 'Sam Raimi' (qv)'s film.