73 (passed away Dec. 25th, 2006)
May. 3rd, 1933
Barnwell, South Carolina, USA
James Brown's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Glastonbury
2002 - The New Guy
2002 - The Tuxedo
2002 - Undercover Brother
1998 - Blues Brothers 2000
1998 - Holy Man
1996 - When We Were Kings
1991 - The Commitments
1985 - Rocky IV
1983 - Doctor Detroit
1980 - The Blues Brothers
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Team Captain
Lou De Long
Hostage Negotiator (Voiced)
Himself - Musical Guest
- Due to the timing of Brown's death, there were no flights out of Atlanta to fly Brown's body up to New York for a public viewing at the Apollo Theater. The funeral director and 'Al Sharpton' (qv) opted to drive Brown's body from Atlanta to New York, instead.
- Life-long friend of 'Little Richard' (qv), since they were both teenagers.
- He served 26 months in prison for leading police on a high speed chase in Georgia in 1988.
- Was planning on singing at 'B.B. King' (qv)'s blues club in New York on New Year's Eve a week before he died.
- Augusta's 9th street was renamed "James Brown Boulevard" by the city's mayor Charles DeVaney (11 November 1993).
- Insisted on using the title Mr. or Ms. for everyone in his band. He felt it was a sign of respect if people called each other by their proper title.
- Portions of James Brown's funeral services in Augusta, GA were shown live on CNN.
- Got his start in music singing with 'Bobby Byrd (I)' (qv)'s group the Famous Flames.