73 (passed away Dec. 25th, 2006)
May. 3rd, 1933
Barnwell, South Carolina, USA
James Brown's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2002 - The New Guy
2002 - The Tuxedo
2002 - Undercover Brother
1998 - Blues Brothers 2000
1998 - Holy Man
1996 - When We Were Kings
1985 - Rocky IV
1983 - Doctor Detroit
1980 - The Blues Brothers
Guest TV Roles
Lou De Long
Hostage Negotiator (Voiced)
Himself - Musical Guest
- Insisted on using the title Mr. or Ms. for everyone in his band. He felt it was a sign of respect if people called each other by their proper title.
- His funeral was officiated by his good friend, Rev. 'Al Sharpton' (qv).
- US Secretary of State General 'Colin Powell' (qv) appointed Brown to be the first US "secretary of soul and foreign minister of funk", but said the job description for the post had not yet been drawn up. (December 2003).
- Portions of James Brown's funeral services in Augusta, GA were shown live on CNN.
- In live shows, Brown would sometimes add the "I got ya" lyric in a song when he caught a musician making a mistake.
- 'J. Anthony Lukas' (qv)'s book on Boston race relations, "Common Ground", notes that a 1968 Brown performance the day after the Rev. 'Martin Luther King' (qv)'s assassination helped keep the Massachusetts city from exploding.
- Life-long friend of 'Little Richard' (qv), since they were both teenagers.
- Charter member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.