73 (passed away Dec. 25th, 2006)
May. 3rd, 1933
Barnwell, South Carolina, USA
James Brown's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Glastonbury
2002 - The New Guy
2002 - The Tuxedo
2002 - Undercover Brother
1998 - Blues Brothers 2000
1998 - Holy Man
1996 - When We Were Kings
1991 - The Commitments
1985 - Rocky IV
1983 - Doctor Detroit
1980 - The Blues Brothers
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Team Captain
Lou De Long
Hostage Negotiator (Voiced)
Himself - Musical Guest
- He was voted the 7th Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Artist of all time by Entertainment Weekly.
- Charter member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.
- Lived in Beeach Island, South Carolina at the time of his death.
- Underwent surgery for prostate cancer in December 2004.
- A life-size bronze statue of Brown was unveiled in his honor by the Reverend 'Al Sharpton' (qv) in Augusta, east Georgia. The statue was supposed to be unveiled in May 2004, for Brown's 71st birthday, but the city postponed the ceremony because the entertainer was facing domestic violence charges for pushing and threatening his wife, 'Tommy Rae Brown' (qv) [7 May 2005].
- 'J. Anthony Lukas' (qv)'s book on Boston race relations, "Common Ground", notes that a 1968 Brown performance the day after the Rev. 'Martin Luther King' (qv)'s assassination helped keep the Massachusetts city from exploding.
- His funeral was officiated by his good friend, Rev. 'Al Sharpton' (qv).
- Rev. 'Jesse Jackson (I)' (qv) regularly visited Brown while he served time for leading the police on a car chase and other various offenses in South Carolina in 1988.