Jul. 14th, 1961
Northridge, California, USA
5' 5 1/2
Jackie Earle Haley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - RoboCop
2010 - Shutter Island
2009 - Watchmen
2008 - Winged Creatures
2008 - Semi-Pro
2006 - Little Children
1979 - Breaking Away
1977 - The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training
1977 - Damnation Alley
1976 - The Bad News Bears
1975 - The Day of the Locust
1972 - Un homme est mort
Guest TV Roles
Haley was born and raised in Northridge, California, the son of Haven Earle "Bud" Haley, a radio show host/disc jockey and actor.
Haley has appeared in numerous films, including Damnation Alley, John Schlesinger's The Day of the Locust, and Losin' It, as well as guest roles on TV. A well known child actor, he starred as Kelly Leak in the comedy The Bad News Bears. He also starred in The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training and The Bad News Bears Go to Japan.
He played Moocher in Peter Yates' acclaimed 1979 film Breaking Away and later in the short-lived TV series of the same name. Throughout the 1970s, he often played a tough, angry, pimply, long-haired misfit; although in his feature debut, the offbeat 1972 film, The Outside Man, he played Eric, a boy apparently so desperately lonely that he tries to impress the mob assassin holding him and his mother (Georgia Engel) hostage. Haley also shot a pilot for an American version of the popular British comedy The Young Ones titled Oh, No! Not THEM!. In 1974 he played Norm a misfit kid in the 12th episode of the Saturday morning children's show, Shazam! It is rumored that in 1984, Haley's friend Johnny Depp accompanied him to auditions for Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street; instead of Haley being chosen for a role, it was Depp who was spotted by director Craven, who asked him if he would like to read for a part.
Haley's acting career went dormant during most of the 1990s and early 2000s, when he moved to San Antonio, Texas, and eventually turned to directing,finding success as a producer and director of television commercials. With the recommendation of Sean Penn, Haley returned to acting in 2006, first appearing in Steven Zaillian's All the King's Men alongside Penn as Sugar Boy, his bodyguard, before giving a critically acclaimed performance as a recently paroled sex offender in Todd Field's Little Children. He stated that his preparation for the role was greatly influenced by the relationship shared between his mother and his brother True, who battled a heroin addiction before he died of an overdose. Haley was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for this portrayal and in 2007 was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Haley owns a production company, JEH Productions, in San Antonio, Texas. In 2008, he appeared in Semi-Pro and starred in Winged Creatures with Kate Beckinsale, Guy Pearce and Dakota Fanning. He also stars in Zack Snyder's 2009 adaptation of the Alan Moore graphic novel, Watchmen, as Rorschach, a masked vigilante working to find the identity of a costumed hero killer, a role which earned Haley praise from many reviewers. The film also reunited him with Little Children co-star Patrick Wilson who played Nite Owl II, former partner of Rorschach. Also in 2010, Haley appeared in Shutter Island, directed by Martin Scorsese, playing a patient of a hospital for the criminally insane.
Haley played the role of Freddy Krueger in the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake. He has signed on to play the role in three installments in the series.
Haley was a series regular on Human Target as Guerrero, an ally of the protagonist Christopher Chance. The series premiered on January 17, 2010 on Fox, and lasted for two seasons before being cancelled in May 2011.
He played Willie Loomis in the 2012 film adaptation of Dark Shadows, directed by Tim Burton, and played Confederate States Vice President Alexander H. Stephens in Lincoln, directed by Steven Spielberg.
- Initially a late 1970s teen character star who played tough, angry, pimply misfit types, notably in _The Bad News Bears (1976)_ (qv), and _Breaking Away (1979)_ (qv).
- Started in TV commercials at age 6.
- One of 115 people invited to join AMPAS in 2007.
- Met third wife, Amelia Cruz, in San Antonio.
- Co-starred opposite Kate Winslet in both of his 2006 return-to-acting film appearances - Little Children (2006) and All the King's Men (2006).
- Has earned rave reviews in 2006 in an unanticipated comeback with his roles in _All the King's Men (2006)_ (qv) and _Little Children (2006)_ (qv). Having not done a movie since 1993 and moonlighting here and there as a commercial director, limousine driver, furniture refinisher, security officer and pizza deliverer in Texas, Haley happened to be "just remembered" for his earlier films by director 'Steven Zaillian' (qv) for his role in "King's Men" and the ball started rolling.
- Father Haven Earle Haley was a radio show host and actor.
- Was actually only 17 years old when he played 19-year-old Moocher in _Breaking Away (1979)_ (qv); he was the only teenager of the group, as co-stars 'Dennis Christopher (I)' (qv), 'Dennis Quaid' (qv), and 'Daniel Stern (I)' (qv) were all in their twenties.