Aug. 31st, 1940
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Jack Thompson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
2009 - Mao's Last Dancer
2008 - Australia
2008 - Leatherheads
2007 - December Boys
2006 - The Good German
2005 - Feed
2005 - Gallipoli: The Untold Stories
2005 - Man-Thing
2004 - Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
2004 - The Assassination Of Richard Nixon
2002 - Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones
2001 - Original Sin
2001 - Yolngu Boy
1997 - Excess Baggage
1997 - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
1996 - Broken Arrow
1993 - A Far Off Place
1992 - Wind
1986 - Short Circuit
1985 - Flesh+Blood
1983 - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
1982 - The Man from Snowy River
1980 - The Club
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
The Australian actor Jack Thompson was born August 31, 1940 in Manly, New South Wales, a suburb of Sydney. Outisde of Oz, he is best known for his appearances in "The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith," "'Breaker' Morant," "The Man From Snowy River," "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and "Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones." "'Breaker' Morant," in which he played a military defense attorney defending three soldiers accused of murder during the Boer War, won him internationally renown. Thompson was cited as Best Supporting Actow at the Cannes Film Festival and won the Australian Film Institute's Best Actor award for the role.
In the early part of his career, Thompson balanced a career with the United Nations with his acting: The acting won out. Now, at 65 years old, his career has been recognized by the Critics Circle of Australia, which awarded him its Life Time Achievement Award, and by the Cinema Owners Association of Australia, which gave him its Award for Outstanding Contribution to Australian Film Entertainment.
Thompson lived for a while in a menage a trois with his now-wife Leona King, by whom he has a son, and her sister Bunkie. Though the living arrangement came to an end after several years, Thompsion has no regrets, saying "I wouldn't have missed it for quids."
- Veteran Australian leading character star whose versatile skills earned him the Best Supporting Actor award at the Cannes Film Festival and the Best Actor award from the Australian Film Institute for his performance in 'Bruce Beresford' (qv)'s internationally acclaimed film _'Breaker' Morant (1980)_ (qv).
- Educated at the University of Queensland.
- His brother is the movie reviewer 'Peter Thompson (XXI)' (qv).
- (2002) Made honorary member of the Australian Cinematographers Society (ACS).
- In 1994, the Film Critics Circle of Australia named him Best Actor for his work as a father adjusting to his gay son in _The Sum of Us (1994)_ (qv) opposite 'Russell Crowe' (qv).
- Adopted brother of television presenter and producer, 'Peter Thompson (XXI)' (qv).
- First establishing himself in a number of Australian TV series (_"Spyforce" (1971)_ (qv)) in the early 70s, he later was honored with the Order of Australia for his contributions to the Australian film industry and has been Australian's Good Will Ambassador to the United Nations for a number of years.
- Father of 'Patrick Thompson (I)' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb