77 (passed away Jan. 21st, 1998)
Dec. 30th, 1920
New York City, New York, USA
Jack Lord's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2000 - Screwed
1962 - Dr. No
1958 - God's Little Acre
1958 - Man of the West
Guest TV Roles
Lt. Col. Preston Gallagher
Jack Lord will probably be best remembered as Steve McGarett in the long running television series "Hawaii Five-O" (1968), but he was much more than that however. He starred in several movies, directed several episodes of his show, was in several Broadway productions, and was an accomplished artist. Two of his paintings were acquired by New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art and the British Museum of Modern Art by the time he was twenty. Lord was also known for being a very cultured man who loved reading poetry out loud on the set of his TV show and as being somewhat reclusive at his Honolulu home. He met his son from his first marriage, who was killed in an accident when he was thirteen, only once as a baby.
- His estate donated $40 million to the Hawaii Community Foundation.
- A dedicated liberal activist, he was a vocal advocate of gun control in the United States.
- Best remembered by the public for his starring role in Hawaii Five-O (1968).
- Was considered for the part of Captain Kirk in _"Star Trek" (1966)_ (qv), but was rejected by 'Gene Roddenberry' (qv) and Desilu Studios because Lord wanted to also be co-producer, and own a percentage of the series.
- Originally wanted to be billed as "Jack Ryan," but discovered that another actor had already registered that name with Actor's Equity. He wanted a short name, so he chose "Jack Lord" instead.
- An FBI file regarding a stalker lists his height as 6' 0", 2 inches shorter than his official biography.
- 'Traci Lords' (qv) has said she changed her name to "Lords" as an honor to her favorite actor, Jack Lord.
- Lord was about to reprise the role of Felix Leiter in _Goldfinger (1964)_ (qv), but producer 'Albert R. Broccoli' (qv) feared that his portrayal of 007's CIA partner would overshadow the persona of James Bond as the main character. The character part was recast, with 'Cec Linder' (qv) as the new Leiter.