77 (passed away Jan. 21st, 1998)
Dec. 30th, 1920
New York City, New York, USA
Jack Lord's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2000 - Screwed
1962 - Dr. No
1958 - Man of the West
1958 - God's Little Acre
Guest TV Roles
Lt. Col. Preston Gallagher
Jack Lord will probably be best remembered as Steve McGarett in the long running television series "Hawaii Five-O" (1968), but he was much more than that however. He starred in several movies, directed several episodes of his show, was in several Broadway productions, and was an accomplished artist. Two of his paintings were acquired by New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art and the British Museum of Modern Art by the time he was twenty. Lord was also known for being a very cultured man who loved reading poetry out loud on the set of his TV show and as being somewhat reclusive at his Honolulu home. He met his son from his first marriage, who was killed in an accident when he was thirteen, only once as a baby.
- An FBI file regarding a stalker lists his height as 6' 0", 2 inches shorter than his official biography.
- Was the first actor to play CIA Agent Felix Leiter in the "official" James Bond films, beginning with _Dr. No (1962)_ (qv). His real name, John Patrick Ryan, is also the name of the CIA Agent hero of 'Tom Clancy (I)' (qv)'s novels. Both characters first appeared on film opposite 'Sean Connery' (qv).
- A dedicated liberal activist, he was a vocal advocate of gun control in the United States.
- Suffered from Alzheimer's disease in his final years.
- His estate donated $40 million to the Hawaii Community Foundation.
- Was considered for the part of Captain Kirk in _"Star Trek" (1966)_ (qv), but was rejected by 'Gene Roddenberry' (qv) and Desilu Studios because Lord wanted to also be co-producer, and own a percentage of the series.
- Best remembered by the public for his starring role in Hawaii Five-O (1968).
- Lord was about to reprise the role of Felix Leiter in _Goldfinger (1964)_ (qv), but producer 'Albert R. Broccoli' (qv) feared that his portrayal of 007's CIA partner would overshadow the persona of James Bond as the main character. The character part was recast, with 'Cec Linder' (qv) as the new Leiter.