Jun. 18th, 1952
Isabella Rossellini's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Rossellini is the daughter of Swedish actress Ingrid Bergman and Italian director Roberto Rossellini. She has three siblings from her mother: her twin sister Isotta Ingrid Rossellini, who is an adjunct professor of Italian literature; a brother, Robertino Ingmar Rossellini; and a half-sister, Pia Lindström, who formerly worked on television and is from her mother's first marriage with Petter Lindström. She has four other siblings from her father's two other marriages: Romano (died at age nine), Renzo, Gil, and Raffaella.
Rossellini was born in Rome, and raised there, as well as in Santa Marinella and Paris. She underwent an operation for appendicitis at the age of five. At 11, she was diagnosed with scoliosis. In order to correct it, she had to undergo an 18 month ordeal of painful stretchings, body casts, surgery on her spine using pieces of one of her shin bones (used to add supports for the individual vertebrae without risking foreign body rejection issues), and a recovery from that surgery. Consequently, she has permanent incision scars on her back and shin.
At 19, she went to New York, where she attended Finch College, while working as a translator and a RAI television reporter. She also appeared intermittently on L'altra Domenica ("The Other Sunday"), a TV show featuring Roberto Benigni. However, she did not decide to stay full-time in New York until her marriage to Martin Scorsese (1979–1982).
- She suffered from scoliosis (progressive curvature of the spine) and underwent surgery to correct it. She was in a body cast for a year.
- She is of Italian and Swedish descent.
- Was scheduled to appear in the 'David Lean (I)' (qv)-directed "Nostromo" in 1991, before Lean died, and the production came to a halt.
- She is 34 minutes older than twin sister Isotta.
- In 1983, Time magazine reported Rossellini's modeling salary of a then $9,000 a day.
- Born at 6:07pm-CET.
- Fluent in Italian, French and English.
- (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#84).