65 (passed away Aug. 10th, 2008)
Aug. 20th, 1942
Covington, Tennessee, USA
5' 11 1/2"
Isaac Hayes' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Take Me to the River
2008 - Soul Men
2005 - Hustle & Flow
2003 - Dream Warrior
2001 - Dr. Dolittle 2
2000 - Shaft
2000 - Reindeer Games
1998 - Blues Brothers 2000
1996 - Flipper
1996 - Escape from L.A.
1994 - It Could Happen to You
1993 - Posse
1993 - CB4
1993 - Robin Hood: Men in Tights
1988 - I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
1981 - Escape from New York
1974 - Truck Turner
Guest TV Roles
Teal'c PI Announcer (Voiced)
The Prime Oracle
Isaac Hayes was the second-born child of Isaac Sr. and Eula Hayes, but was raised by his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Willie Wade Sr. The child of a poor family, he grew up picking cotton in Covington, Tennessee. He dropped out of high school, only to be encouraged later by his former high school teachers to get his diploma. He earned his diploma at the age of 21. Otis Redding, Johnnie Taylor (I), The Bar-Kays and Booker T. Jones (later of Booker T. & the M.G.s fame) were some of the "Memphis Sound" musical luminaries Hayes worked with during his early years as a budding musician and vocalist. He is a multi-talented composer, singer and arranger who plays the piano, vibraphone and saxophone equally well. In 1971 he won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for a Motion Picture for the "Theme from Shaft" (1970) and was nominated for Best Original Dramatic Score for Shaft (1971).
- Friend of 'Aretha Franklin' (qv).
- Was originally considered for the role of _Shaft (1971)_ (qv); however, the lead went to 'Richard Roundtree' (qv). However, he got the lead role in _Truck Turner (1974)_ (qv), which is the only film that he ever played such a part.
- His performance as "Chef" in the TV series _"South Park" (1997)_ (qv) was supposed to be a one-time event, but audience reaction was so positive, "Chef" became a regular character.
- His character, "Chef", was killed off _"South Park" (1997)_ (qv) after his resignation for religious reasons.
- Suffered a stroke in January 2006.
- Was pronounced dead at 2:08 pm at Baptist Memorial Medical Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee on August 10, 2008.
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
- Has been a frequent songwriting collaborator with 'David Porter (VII)' (qv) since 1962.