Aug. 11th, 1953
Augusta, Georgia, USA
Hulk Hogan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - WWE Royal Rumble 2014
2014 - The Sheik
2008 - Bigger Stronger Faster*
1999 - Muppets from Space
1998 - 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain
1996 - Spy Hard
1993 - Mr. Nanny
1991 - Suburban Commando
1990 - Gremlins 2: The New Batch
1989 - No Holds Barred
1982 - Rocky III
Guest TV Roles[none found]
One of the greatest, most popular, most hated and charismatic wrestlers of all time, Hulk Hogan is one of the men who helped parlay the circus-like world of professional wrestling from cult following into the forefront of American entertainment. What many people who know about Hogan don't know is he was in the "sport" for several years in virtual obscurity before hitting the big time. Hogan made his pro debut in 1978 and wrestled as "Sterling Golden" before becoming "Hulk." Hogan was getting main event matches while wrestling in the American Wrestling Alliance (AWA) in the early 1980s before he was cast as Thunderlips in Rocky III (1982). That bit of casting propelled Hogan into the spotlight and he was soon to enter the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in 1983. At the time, the WWF was just beginning to go from local television (they were based in the Northeast U.S.) to national, and Hogan's personality (and some well-done marketing and PR, plus the Wrestlemania series) helped to transform not only the WWF, but wrestling into the big show it is today. Hogan won the WWF title numerous times, and was credited with dealing André the Giant his first loss in pro wrestling. Hogan was soon seen everywhere -- television, cartoons, movies, records and lunch boxes -- but he was a part of the steroid scandal in the WWF, and quietly left the organization. Hogan laid low in wrestling circles, but continued to act before coming back, this time with World Championship Wrestling (WCW), the WWF's bitter rival. Hogan helped create the New World Order, the main bunch of badmen in WCW, and became more popular than ever. He abandoned his trademark red and yellow colors for black, and even dyed his beard black. He still wrestles as of today, and, like it or not, is probably one of the best entertainers in any form of show business. He always put on a show.
- He joined the World Wrestling Entertainment in 1979, cast as an Irish villain.
- Majored in business management at the University of South Florida, Tampa, before becoming a professional wrestler.
- Lost his fifth WWF Title to 'Rodney Anoai' (qv) (aka Yokozuna) in his first defense since winning the title over a month earlier. It was his last WWF title match for nine years.
- First pro wrestler on the cover of "Sports Illustrated."
- One of the first wrestlers to have ring music play on his way to the ring.
- During his 1980s heyday in the WWE, he lived next door to WWF owner 'Vince McMahon' (qv) for almost 10 years.
- Early in his career wrestled as Terry "The Hulk" Boulder.
- He appeared in some of the live-action segments of the cartoon series Hulk Hogan's _"Rock 'n' Wrestling" (1985)_ (qv) (1985-1986).