Jun. 11th, 1959
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hugh was born in Oxford, England on June 11, 1959. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge. Son of an Olympic gold medalist in the sport, he rowed for the England youth team (1977) and for Cambridge (1980). He met 'Emma Thompson' at Cambridge in 1978 when both joined "Footlights" and was introduced to 'Stephen Fry' by Emma in 1980. Hugh is married and lives in Los Angeles. His wife and three children, who previously lived in London, are moving to Los Angeles to live with him. Besides acting and comedy, he has written the best-selling thriller, The Gun Seller, also has done a screenplay for the film version, and has a second novel called "The Paper Soldier" being published on September 27, 2009.
- Was a member of Cambridge Footlights throughout his university years, serving as a writer and cast member for two years (1978-1980) and president during his last year (1980-1981). 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv) was the vice president.
- Great-great-nephew of 'George Alexander (III)' (qv).
- In the 1980s he shared a house in London with 'Stephen Fry (I)' (qv). They needed some plastering done. The plasterers turned out to be 'Paul Whitehouse (I)' (qv) and 'Charlie Higson' (qv), who were inspired by Fry and Laurie to have a go at comedy.
- Plays the husband opposite 'Imelda Staunton' (qv)'s characters in two films: _Sense and Sensibility (1995)_ (qv) and _Peter's Friends (1992)_ (qv).
- He has three children: Charles Archibald Laurie (b. Nov 1988), William (Bill) Albert Laurie (b. Jan 1991), and 'Rebecca Laurie' (qv) (Rebecca Augusta Laurie, b. Sep 10, 1993).
- Longtime best friend 'Stephen Fry (I)' (qv) served as best man at Laurie's marriage to Jo Green (1989).
- Entered the 1980 Silver Goblets and Nicklass Cup with his Eton rowing partner J.S. Palmer at the Henley Royal Regatta, becoming the only British crew to reach the final that year. They finished in second place behind the favored American crew.
- Is very good friends with _"House M.D." (2004)_ (qv) co-star 'Robert Sean Leonard' (qv).