Jun. 11th, 1959
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hugh was born in Oxford, England on June 11, 1959. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge. Son of an Olympic gold medalist in the sport, he rowed for the England youth team (1977) and for Cambridge (1980). He met 'Emma Thompson' at Cambridge in 1978 when both joined "Footlights" and was introduced to 'Stephen Fry' by Emma in 1980. Hugh is married and lives in Los Angeles. His wife and three children, who previously lived in London, are moving to Los Angeles to live with him. Besides acting and comedy, he has written the best-selling thriller, The Gun Seller, also has done a screenplay for the film version, and has a second novel called "The Paper Soldier" being published on September 27, 2009.
- He's a big fan of 'Clint Eastwood' (qv).
- He received his first motorcycle when he was 16 as a present from his father. The same year he owned his first guitar, a Yamaha.
- He was awarded the O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2007 Queen's New Years Honours List for his services to drama.
- 'Stephen Fry (I)' (qv) is godfather of his three children.
- 'Douglas Adams' (qv), author of _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)_ (qv), originally wanted him to play Arthur Dent for the film adaptation. A deal was almost in place to have Hugh play Dent, along with 'Jim Carrey' (qv) as Zaphod and 'Jay Roach' (qv) directing, before Adams's untimely death.
- Bought an all-black Triumph Bonneville motorcycle, a replica of the '60s British model, in Los Angeles, upon getting the role in _"House M.D." (2004)_ (qv), but he was always an avid motorcyclist, even in England. He enjoys the anonymity the motorcycle helmet gives him.
- He is a big fan of 'Steve McQueen (I)' (qv).
- He is an accomplished piano player.