Nov. 29th, 1955
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5' 9 1/2
Howie Mandel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Heckler
2005 - The Aristocrats
2004 - Pinocchio 3000
1990 - Gremlins 2: The New Batch
1989 - Little Monsters
1986 - A Fine Mess
1984 - Gremlins
Guest TV Roles[Complete List]
The story goes that huggable stand-up comedian Howie Mandel, who ran a carpet business once upon a time, began his show biz career by chance while catching amateur night at the Comedy Store on the L.A. Sunset Strip during a vacation. Goaded on by friends to try out, a producer spotted him, hired him for an appearance on the comedy game show "Make Me Laugh," and the rest is history. Talk about luck! Born in Toronto, Canada in 1955, Howie became a highly affable performer who quickly graduated to TV talk shows and Vegas gigs. Six years on, the critically-acclaimed "St. Elsewhere" (1982) medical drama not only increased his visibility but earned him Emmy nominations. An affinity for children led him to the Emmy-nominated animated kids' series "Bobby's World" (1990) serving as creator, executive producer and vocal talent. Film stardom has been elusive with silly, bumbling vehicles such as A Fine Mess (1986), Walk Like a Man (1987) and Little Monsters (1989) failing to click with audiences. Kids, however, enjoyed his cuddly voice as Gizmo, in the Gremlins (1984) film series.
Following his own failed talk show "The Howie Mandel Show" (1998) during the 1998-1999 season, Howie has managed a full time schedule of concerts and comedy specials that keeps him current with today's audiences.
- His daughter, Jackie, is a teacher.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on September 4, 2008.
- Once an opening act for 'Diana Ross (I)' (qv) in Las Vegas.
- Has a bikini wax named after him, for his clean-shaven head.
- Instead of shaking hands, a tap fist became a sort of his signature.
- Suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder and mysophobia (fear of germs). As a result, he will not shake hands with people.
- Friend of 'Jay Leno' (qv).
- Color blind.