Nov. 29th, 1955
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5' 9 1/2
Howie Mandel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
The story goes that huggable stand-up comedian Howie Mandel, who ran a carpet business once upon a time, began his show biz career by chance while catching amateur night at the Comedy Store on the L.A. Sunset Strip during a vacation. Goaded on by friends to try out, a producer spotted him, hired him for an appearance on the comedy game show "Make Me Laugh," and the rest is history. Talk about luck! Born in Toronto, Canada in 1955, Howie became a highly affable performer who quickly graduated to TV talk shows and Vegas gigs. Six years on, the critically-acclaimed "St. Elsewhere" (1982) medical drama not only increased his visibility but earned him Emmy nominations. An affinity for children led him to the Emmy-nominated animated kids' series "Bobby's World" (1990) serving as creator, executive producer and vocal talent. Film stardom has been elusive with silly, bumbling vehicles such as A Fine Mess (1986), Walk Like a Man (1987) and Little Monsters (1989) failing to click with audiences. Kids, however, enjoyed his cuddly voice as Gizmo, in the Gremlins (1984) film series.
Following his own failed talk show "The Howie Mandel Show" (1998) during the 1998-1999 season, Howie has managed a full time schedule of concerts and comedy specials that keeps him current with today's audiences.
- He was expelled from his high school in Toronto after pretending to be from the school board and convincing a local construction company to start construction of an addition onto the high school.
- Has three children: Daughters Jackie (b. 1984) and Riley (b. 1992) and son Alex (b. 1989).
- Friend of 'Jay Leno' (qv).
- Color blind.
- Once an opening act for 'Diana Ross (I)' (qv) in Las Vegas.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on September 4, 2008.
- Instead of shaking hands, a tap fist became a sort of his signature.
- An alumnus of Beth David B'nai Israel Beth Am's Hebrew School where he celebrated his bar mitzvah.