Jan. 12th, 1954
Jackson Heights, Queens, New York City, New York, USA
Howard Stern's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Howard Allan Stern was born on Jan. 12, 1954, in Jackson Heights, New York. His first radio experience was at Boston University, where he volunteered at the college radio station. Along with several other students, he created an on-air show called the King Schmaltz Bagel Hour, a takeoff on the popular King Biscuit Flour Hour. Predicting his penchant for controversy, the show was canceled after its first broadcast, which included the comedy sketch "Name That Sin," a game show where contestants confessed their worst sins. Stern graduated in 1976 with a 3.8 grade-point average and a bachelor's degree in communications. During his first paying radio gig, at an understaffed 3,000-watt station in Briarcliff Manor, New York, "It dawned on me that I would never make it as a straight deejay," Stern told James S. Kunen in an interview for People (10/22/84), "so I started to mess around. It was unheard-of to mix talking on the phone with playing music. It was outrageous, It was blasphemy."
- _New Year's Rotten Eve (1994) (V)_ (qv) was the highest-grossing pay-per-view variety special of all time, grossing over $30 million.
- His views on parenthood have not soured as his views on marriage have since his divorce. While he shares custody of his three children with his ex-wife Alison, he says he would gladly take full custody of them if ever called upon to do so.
- Was interested in playing the Scarecrow in the canceled film "Batman Triumphant".
- In 2004, he did a 180-degree turn in his politics, lambasting President 'George W. Bush' (qv) for his lack of planning in the Iraq War, adding an entire page of anti-Bush website links on his personal website and making direct attacks on members of 'George W. Bush' (qv)'s cabinet. Shortly afterwords, Clear Channel Communications dropped his show from their stations in several markets after being fined by the FCC for an incident (several years earlier) that they deemed as profane. Stern took this as a personal attack and managed to negotiate his return on stations owned by Infinity Broadcasting in those same markets where he was dropped, and began campaigning heavily for Democratic Party Presidential candidate Senator 'John Kerry (III)' (qv), D-MA.
- Became engaged to 'Beth Ostrosky' (qv) [February 13, 2007].
- His book "Miss America" was originally titled "Getting Away With Murder" and had a photo of him and 'O.J. Simpson' (qv) together at 'Donald Trump' (qv)'s wedding on the cover.
- Performed the spoken word opening to the 'Blue Öyster Cult' (qv) song "When the War Comes" on their Club Ninja album.
- (February 2002) Stated on his radio show that since his divorce, the word "marriage" has left his vocabulary for good. While he is deeply in love with actress 'Beth Ostrosky' (qv), they have no plans to even live together. His three daughters are the only people he says he's willing to live with at this point.