Jan. 12th, 1954
Jackson Heights, Queens, New York City, New York, USA
Howard Stern's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1997 - Private Parts
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Radio Personality (Voiced)
Howard Allan Stern was born on Jan. 12, 1954, in Jackson Heights, New York. His first radio experience was at Boston University, where he volunteered at the college radio station. Along with several other students, he created an on-air show called the King Schmaltz Bagel Hour, a takeoff on the popular King Biscuit Flour Hour. Predicting his penchant for controversy, the show was canceled after its first broadcast, which included the comedy sketch "Name That Sin," a game show where contestants confessed their worst sins. Stern graduated in 1976 with a 3.8 grade-point average and a bachelor's degree in communications. During his first paying radio gig, at an understaffed 3,000-watt station in Briarcliff Manor, New York, "It dawned on me that I would never make it as a straight deejay," Stern told James S. Kunen in an interview for People (10/22/84), "so I started to mess around. It was unheard-of to mix talking on the phone with playing music. It was outrageous, It was blasphemy."
- Became engaged to 'Beth Ostrosky' (qv) [February 13, 2007].
- His father, Ben Stern, was a radio engineer. His mother, Ray Stern, was a housewife.
- His paternal Grandparents, Froim and Anna (Gallar) Stern, and maternal Grandparents, Sol and Esther (Reich) Schiffman, emigrated to America from Austria-Hungary.
- His second book "Miss America" was the fastest selling book in publishing history when it was released in 1995.
- Used to suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Performed the spoken word opening to the 'Blue Öyster Cult' (qv) song "When the War Comes" on their Club Ninja album.
- (February 2002) Stated on his radio show that since his divorce, the word "marriage" has left his vocabulary for good. While he is deeply in love with actress 'Beth Ostrosky' (qv), they have no plans to even live together. His three daughters are the only people he says he's willing to live with at this point.
- Hebrew name is Tzvi.