Jul. 30th, 1974
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Hilary Swank's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Amelia
2008 - Birds of America
2007 - The Reaping
2007 - P.S. I Love You
2007 - Freedom Writers
2006 - The Black Dahlia
2004 - Million Dollar Baby
2004 - Red Dust
2003 - 11:14
2003 - The Core
2002 - Insomnia
2001 - The Affair of the Necklace
2000 - The Gift
1999 - Boys Don't Cry
1994 - The Next Karate Kid
1992 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Guest TV Roles
Herself (segment "The Entertainers")
Herself - Host
Herself - Guest
Hilary was discovered as a child by producer Suzy Sachs, who coached her in acting. When she was nine years old, she starred in her first play as "Mowgli" in "The Jungle Book". She began to appear regularly in local theater and school plays. She went to school in Bellingham, where she lived with her family, until she was 16. She competed in the Junior Olympics and Washington State championships in swimming; she ranked 5th in the state in all-around gymnastics (which would come in handy for starring in The Next Karate Kid (1994) years later). In 1990, Hilary and her mother moved to Los Angeles, where she enrolled in South Pasadena High School, and started acting professionally. She appeared in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) but The Next Karate Kid (1994), where she got the part competing against hundreds of other actresses, was her breakout role. Ever since then, she has been much in demand and has worked non-stop in movies. She won the Best Actress Oscar for Boys Don't Cry (1999). She starred in a few minor films before starring in Clint Eastwood's boxing drama Million Dollar Baby (2004) that won her a Golden Globe and a SAG Award, as well as her second Academy Award. She is two for two at the Oscars, a feat she shares only with a few other women. Off-screen, she married Chad Lowe (I) on September 28, 1997. An aficionado for anything that involves the outdoors, she enjoys: sky diving, river rafting and skiing.
- Her longtime companion has been her agent John Campisi since December 2006.
- Ex-sister-in-law of 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv) and makeup artist 'Sheryl Berkoff' (qv).
- First woman to win an Oscar in a role as a boxer.
- Both of her Oscar-winning roles required huge physical changes.
- Earned $75 a day for _Boys Don't Cry (1999)_ (qv).
- For a few weeks before _Boys Don't Cry (1999)_ (qv) began filming, she went out in public dressed as a boy. Many were fooled by the disguise.
- Although she was naturally athletic from high school, she totally changed physically to play Maggie in _Million Dollar Baby (2004)_ (qv). She gained nearly 20 pounds, becoming so buff that her former clothes are still too small for her.
- Is a vegetarian.