Jul. 30th, 1974
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Hilary Swank's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - The Homesman
2009 - Amelia
2008 - Birds of America
2007 - The Reaping
2007 - Freedom Writers
2007 - P.S. I Love You
2006 - The Black Dahlia
2004 - Red Dust
2004 - Million Dollar Baby
2003 - The Core
2003 - 11:14
2001 - The Affair of the Necklace
2000 - The Gift
1999 - Boys Don't Cry
1994 - The Next Karate Kid
1992 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Guest TV Roles
Herself (segment "The Entertainers")
Herself - Guest
Herself - Host
Herself - Guest
Hilary was discovered as a child by producer 'Suzy Sachs', who coached her in acting. When she was nine years old, she starred in her first play as "Mowgli" in The Jungle Book. She began to appear regularly in local theater and school plays. She went to school in Bellingham, where she lived with her family, until she was 16. She competed in the Junior Olympics and Washington State championships in swimming; she ranked 5th in the state in all-around gymnastics (which would come in handy for starring in The Next Karate Kid (1994) years later).
In 1990, Swank and her mother moved to Los Angeles, where she enrolled in South Pasadena High School, and started acting professionally. She appeared in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) but The Next Karate Kid (1994), where she got the part competing against hundreds of other actresses, was her breakout role. Ever since then, she has been much in demand and has worked non-stop in movies. She won the Best Actress Oscar for Boys Don't Cry (1999).
Swank starred in a few minor films before starring in Clint Eastwood's boxing drama Million Dollar Baby (2004) that won her a Golden Globe and a SAG Award, as well as her second Academy Award. She is two for two at the Oscars, a feat she shares only with a few other women.
Off-screen, she married 'Chad Lowe' on September 28, 1997. An aficionado for anything that involves the outdoors, she enjoys: sky diving, river rafting and skiing.
- Attended Santa Monica College.
- Mother 'Judy Swank' (qv) moved with her to LA area at age 16, where, impoverished for a while, they lived out of their car.
- Considers herself a spiritual person, although she isn't member of an organized religion.
- Although she was naturally athletic from high school, she totally changed physically to play Maggie in _Million Dollar Baby (2004)_ (qv). She gained nearly 20 pounds, becoming so buff that her former clothes are still too small for her.
- Cut off all of her hair and lived as a boy for a month to prepare her for her role as Teena Brandon in _Boys Don't Cry (1999)_ (qv).
- Discovered as a young child actor by producer 'Suzy Sachs' (qv).
- Was in consideration for the part of Satine in _Moulin Rouge! (2001)_ (qv) but 'Nicole Kidman' (qv), who went on to receive a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance, was cast instead.
- She won the lead role of Brandon/Teena in _Boys Don't Cry (1999)_ (qv) after hundreds of other actresses had been considered and rejected over the course of three years. Told director 'Kimberly Peirce' (qv) that, like her character, she was also 21 and hailed from Lincoln, Nebraska. But she was fibbing, and when Peirce later confronted her with the lies, she winningly responded: "But that's what Brandon would do."