Jul. 30th, 1974
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Hilary Swank's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Hilary was discovered as a child by producer 'Suzy Sachs', who coached her in acting. When she was nine years old, she starred in her first play as "Mowgli" in The Jungle Book. She began to appear regularly in local theater and school plays. She went to school in Bellingham, where she lived with her family, until she was 16. She competed in the Junior Olympics and Washington State championships in swimming; she ranked 5th in the state in all-around gymnastics (which would come in handy for starring in The Next Karate Kid (1994) years later).
In 1990, Swank and her mother moved to Los Angeles, where she enrolled in South Pasadena High School, and started acting professionally. She appeared in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) but The Next Karate Kid (1994), where she got the part competing against hundreds of other actresses, was her breakout role. Ever since then, she has been much in demand and has worked non-stop in movies. She won the Best Actress Oscar for Boys Don't Cry (1999).
Swank starred in a few minor films before starring in Clint Eastwood's boxing drama Million Dollar Baby (2004) that won her a Golden Globe and a SAG Award, as well as her second Academy Award. She is two for two at the Oscars, a feat she shares only with a few other women.
Off-screen, she married 'Chad Lowe' on September 28, 1997. An aficionado for anything that involves the outdoors, she enjoys: sky diving, river rafting and skiing.
- Both of her Oscar-winning roles required huge physical changes.
- Is a vegetarian.
- Grew up in Bellingham, Washington, where she went to Sehome High School.
- Auditioned for the role of Lucy Hatcher on the television series _"The Practice" (1997)_ (qv).
- Fined NZ$200 (AUD$190) for bringing undeclared fruit into New Zealand. She was found with an apple and orange at New Zealand's Auckland International Airport. She has since contested the fine (15 January 2005).
- As of 2008, she is only one of six actors who have a 2-0 winning record when nominated for an acting Oscar. The others are 'Luise Rainer' (qv) for _The Great Ziegfeld (1936)_ (qv) and _The Good Earth (1937)_ (qv); 'Vivien Leigh' (qv) for _Gone with the Wind (1939)_ (qv) and _A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)_ (qv); 'Helen Hayes (I)' (qv) for _The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931)_ (qv) and _Airport (1970)_ (qv); 'Sally Field' (qv) for _Norma Rae (1979)_ (qv) and _Places in the Heart (1984)_ (qv); and 'Kevin Spacey' (qv) for _The Usual Suspects (1995)_ (qv) and _American Beauty (1999)_ (qv).
- Joined 'Vivien Leigh' (qv), 'Helen Hayes (I)' (qv), 'Sally Field' (qv) and 'Luise Rainer' (qv) as the only actresses with a perfect track record at the Oscars: Two nominations and two wins.
- Ex-sister-in-law of 'Rob Lowe (I)' (qv) and makeup artist 'Sheryl Berkoff' (qv).