Jul. 26th, 1945
Chiswick, London, England, UK
Helen Mirren's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- She won an Oscar for playing Queen Elizabeth II in _The Queen (2006)_ (qv), making her the most recent of eleven actors to win the Award for playing a real person who was still alive at the evening of the Award ceremony (as of 2007). The other ten actors and their respective performances are: 'Spencer Tracy' (qv) for playing Father Edward Flanagan in _Boys Town (1938)_ (qv), 'Gary Cooper (I)' (qv) for playing Alvin C. York in _Sergeant York (1941)_ (qv), 'Patty Duke' (qv) for playing Helen Keller in _The Miracle Worker (1962)_ (qv), 'Jason Robards' (qv) for playing Benjamin Bradlee in _All the President's Men (1976)_ (qv), 'Robert De Niro' (qv) for playing Jake La Motta in _Raging Bull (1980)_ (qv), 'Sissy Spacek' (qv) for playing Loretta Lynn in _Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)_ (qv), 'Susan Sarandon' (qv) for playing Sister Helen Prejean in _Dead Man Walking (1995)_ (qv), 'Geoffrey Rush' (qv) for playing David Helfgott in _Shine (1996)_ (qv), 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv) for playing Erin Brockovich in _Erin Brockovich (2000)_ (qv) and 'Jim Broadbent' (qv) for playing John Bayley in _Iris (2001/I)_ (qv).
- She allegedly refused the C.B.E. (Commander of Order of the British Empire) in 1996.
- Member of the jury at the Venice Film Festival in 2004.
- Was voted 2nd in Entertainment Weekly's Entertainers of the Year in December 2006.
- She was awarded the Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours List for her services to drama.
- Her grandfather Piotr Vasilievich Mironoff was a Tsarist (White Russian) aristocrat who was in London negotiating an arms deal for the World War I when the 1917 Russian Revolution stranded him there. His wife and son (Helen's father) joined him in London.
- Sister of Peter Basil Mironoff and Katherine Mironoff.
- (2002) Nominated for Best Actress, Tony Award for "Dance of Death" by 'August Strindberg' (qv).