Jul. 26th, 1945
Chiswick, London, England, UK
Helen Mirren's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Woman in Gold
2014 - The Hundred-Foot Journey
2013 - RED 2
2013 - Monsters University
2012 - Hitchcock
2011 - Arthur
2011 - Brighton Rock
2010 - Love Ranch
2010 - Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
2010 - RED
2009 - State of Play
2008 - Inkheart
2007 - National Treasure: Book of Secrets
2006 - The Queen
2005 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2004 - The Clearing
2004 - Raising Helen
2003 - Calendar Girls
2001 - No Such Thing
2001 - Gosford Park
2001 - Greenfingers
2001 - Last Orders
1999 - Teaching Mrs. Tingle
1998 - The Prince of Egypt
1997 - Critical Care
1996 - Some Mother's Son
1994 - The Madness of King George
1990 - The Comfort of Strangers
1986 - The Mosquito Coast
1985 - White Nights
1984 - 2010: The Year We Make Contact
1984 - Cal
1981 - Excalibur
1980 - The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu
1980 - The Long Good Friday
1979 - Caligula
1973 - O Lucky Man!
1973 - O Lucky Man!
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest
Herself - Actress (segment "The Dame")
Becky's Inner Voice (Voiced)
Maddie Duncan (segment "Dead Woman's Shoes")
- Has a tattoo of a star on her left hand, acquired at a Native American reservation in Minnesota.
- She is the only actress to play both Queen Elizabeth I (in _"Elizabeth I" (2005)_ (qv)) and 'Queen Elizabeth II' (qv) (_The Queen (2006)_ (qv)).
- She won an Oscar for playing Queen Elizabeth II in _The Queen (2006)_ (qv), making her the most recent of eleven actors to win the Award for playing a real person who was still alive at the evening of the Award ceremony (as of 2007). The other ten actors and their respective performances are: 'Spencer Tracy' (qv) for playing Father Edward Flanagan in _Boys Town (1938)_ (qv), 'Gary Cooper (I)' (qv) for playing Alvin C. York in _Sergeant York (1941)_ (qv), 'Patty Duke' (qv) for playing Helen Keller in _The Miracle Worker (1962)_ (qv), 'Jason Robards' (qv) for playing Benjamin Bradlee in _All the President's Men (1976)_ (qv), 'Robert De Niro' (qv) for playing Jake La Motta in _Raging Bull (1980)_ (qv), 'Sissy Spacek' (qv) for playing Loretta Lynn in _Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)_ (qv), 'Susan Sarandon' (qv) for playing Sister Helen Prejean in _Dead Man Walking (1995)_ (qv), 'Geoffrey Rush' (qv) for playing David Helfgott in _Shine (1996)_ (qv), 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv) for playing Erin Brockovich in _Erin Brockovich (2000)_ (qv) and 'Jim Broadbent' (qv) for playing John Bayley in _Iris (2001/I)_ (qv).
- (2007) Won Film Achievement, Greatest Britons.
- Used to work in Southend on Sea; Essex; UK at an amusement park "The Kursaal" as a "blagger" to attract customers on to rides.
- According to an article in People Weekly (November 3, 1980) her tattoo is an American Indian symbol meaning "equal but opposite".
- (2001) Nominated for Best Actress, 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award for her performance of "Orpheus Descending" at the Donmar Warehouse.
- 'John Boorman' (qv) said he cast her opposite 'Nicol Williamson' (qv) in _Excalibur (1981)_ (qv), against both of their protests, because he felt their dislike of each other made them perfect as rivals Morgana and Merlin.