Jul. 26th, 1945
Chiswick, London, England, UK
Helen Mirren's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
- She won an Oscar for playing Queen Elizabeth II in _The Queen (2006)_ (qv), making her the most recent of eleven actors to win the Award for playing a real person who was still alive at the evening of the Award ceremony (as of 2007). The other ten actors and their respective performances are: 'Spencer Tracy' (qv) for playing Father Edward Flanagan in _Boys Town (1938)_ (qv), 'Gary Cooper (I)' (qv) for playing Alvin C. York in _Sergeant York (1941)_ (qv), 'Patty Duke' (qv) for playing Helen Keller in _The Miracle Worker (1962)_ (qv), 'Jason Robards' (qv) for playing Benjamin Bradlee in _All the President's Men (1976)_ (qv), 'Robert De Niro' (qv) for playing Jake La Motta in _Raging Bull (1980)_ (qv), 'Sissy Spacek' (qv) for playing Loretta Lynn in _Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)_ (qv), 'Susan Sarandon' (qv) for playing Sister Helen Prejean in _Dead Man Walking (1995)_ (qv), 'Geoffrey Rush' (qv) for playing David Helfgott in _Shine (1996)_ (qv), 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv) for playing Erin Brockovich in _Erin Brockovich (2000)_ (qv) and 'Jim Broadbent' (qv) for playing John Bayley in _Iris (2001/I)_ (qv).
- She owns houses in Los Angeles, London, and the south of France.
- Her grandfather Piotr Vasilievich Mironoff was a Tsarist (White Russian) aristocrat who was in London negotiating an arms deal for the World War I when the 1917 Russian Revolution stranded him there. His wife and son (Helen's father) joined him in London.
- Is fluent in French.
- According to an article in People Weekly (November 3, 1980) her tattoo is an American Indian symbol meaning "equal but opposite".
- 'John Boorman' (qv) said he cast her opposite 'Nicol Williamson' (qv) in _Excalibur (1981)_ (qv), against both of their protests, because he felt their dislike of each other made them perfect as rivals Morgana and Merlin.
- Won 29 major awards for her portrayal of 'Queen Elizabeth II' (qv) in _The Queen (2006)_ (qv), including all the awards that are considered the biggest (except Cannes). She was also nominated for 3 more awards for the same film.
- Became an Associate Member of RADA.