Jun. 15th, 1963
Culver City, California, USA
Helen Hunt's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Helen Elizabeth Hunt (born June 15, 1963) is an American actress, film director, and screenwriter. She starred in the sitcom, Mad About You, for seven years before being cast in the 1997 romantic comedy film, As Good as It Gets for which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. Some of her other notable films include Twister, Cast Away, What Women Want, Pay It Forward, Soul Surfer and The Sessions. She made her directorial debut in 2007 with Then She Found Me. She has won four Emmy awards, four Golden Globe awards, two Screen Actors Guild awards, and an Oscar.
Born in Culver City, California. Her mother, Jane Elizabeth (née Novis), worked as a photographer, and her father, Gordon E. Hunt, is a film and voice director and acting coach. Her uncle, Peter H. Hunt, is also a director. Her Iowa-born maternal grandmother, Dorothy (Anderson) Fries, was a voice coach. Hunt's paternal grandmother was from a German Jewish family, while Hunt's other grandparents were of English descent (her maternal grandfather was born in England). When she was three, Hunt's family moved to New York City, where her father directed theatre (Hunt attended plays as a child several times a week). Hunt studied ballet, and briefly attended UCLA.
- She and her ex-husband, 'Hank Azaria' (qv), have both guest-starred on the TV show _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv), though not in the same episode.
- (2000) After divorcing 'Hank Azaria' (qv), she moved to New York, intending to do theater work, especially 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv).
- Beat 'Teri Hatcher' (qv) for the role of Jamie Buchman in _"Mad About You" (1992)_ (qv) at the final auditions.
- Asked novelist 'Robert B. Parker' (qv) to create a female private detective for her to play. The result was Parker's series of novels featuring Sunny Randall.
- Did a guest voice on _"The Simpsons" (1989)_ (qv) in episode: #9.16 "Dumbbell Indemnity," as Moe's girlfriend, Renee. The voice of Moe is 'Hank Azaria' (qv), Helen's real-life love at that time.
- Celebrates Thanksgiving every year with 'Anthony Edwards (I)' (qv).
- Dated 'Eric Stoltz' (qv), her _The Waterdance (1992)_ (qv) co-star.
- She appeared in four movies released in the year 2000. Two of them were in theaters at the same time during the end-of-the-year holiday season, and grossed over $150 million each: _Cast Away (2000)_ (qv) and _What Women Want (2000)_ (qv).