Jun. 15th, 1963
Culver City, California, USA
Helen Hunt's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Soul Surfer
2007 - Then She Found Me
2006 - Bobby
2004 - A Good Woman
2001 - The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
2001 - One Night At McCool
2000 - What Women Want
2000 - Pay it Forward
2000 - Cast Away
1997 - As Good As It Gets
1996 - Twister
1992 - Bob Roberts
1991 - Trancers II
1989 - Next of Kin
1988 - Stealing Home
1987 - Project X
1986 - Peggy Sue Got Married
1985 - Trancers
1985 - Girls Just Want to Have Fun
1977 - Rollercoaster
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Host
Helen Elizabeth Hunt (born June 15, 1963) is an American actress, film director, and screenwriter. She starred in the sitcom, Mad About You, for seven years before being cast in the 1997 romantic comedy film, As Good as It Gets for which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. Some of her other notable films include Twister, Cast Away, What Women Want, Pay It Forward, Soul Surfer and The Sessions. She made her directorial debut in 2007 with Then She Found Me. She has won four Emmy awards, four Golden Globe awards, two Screen Actors Guild awards, and an Oscar.
Born in Culver City, California. Her mother, Jane Elizabeth (née Novis), worked as a photographer, and her father, Gordon E. Hunt, is a film and voice director and acting coach. Her uncle, Peter H. Hunt, is also a director. Her Iowa-born maternal grandmother, Dorothy (Anderson) Fries, was a voice coach. Hunt's paternal grandmother was from a German Jewish family, while Hunt's other grandparents were of English descent (her maternal grandfather was born in England). When she was three, Hunt's family moved to New York City, where her father directed theatre (Hunt attended plays as a child several times a week). Hunt studied ballet, and briefly attended UCLA.
- Beat 'Teri Hatcher' (qv) for the role of Jamie Buchman in _"Mad About You" (1992)_ (qv) at the final auditions.
- Got the lead in _As Good as It Gets (1997)_ (qv) after 'Holly Hunter' (qv) turned it down.
- She appeared in four movies released in the year 2000. Two of them were in theaters at the same time during the end-of-the-year holiday season, and grossed over $150 million each: _Cast Away (2000)_ (qv) and _What Women Want (2000)_ (qv).
- She and her ex-husband, 'Hank Azaria' (qv), have both guest-starred on the TV show _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv), though not in the same episode.
- Daughter of 'Gordon Hunt (I)' (qv).
- Dated 'Eric Stoltz' (qv), her _The Waterdance (1992)_ (qv) co-star.
- Daughter, Makena Lei Gordon Carnahan, born 13 May 2004 with boyfriend 'Matthew Carnahan' (qv).
- (September 2001) Witnessed the World Trade Center attacks from the roof of her brand new New York apartment and decided to leave the city right away, but could not get a flight out. She booked a private jet at considerable expense and flew herself and her staff out of Connecticut three days later, the first day they allowed private jets to fly.