Jun. 15th, 1963
Culver City, California, USA
Helen Hunt's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Soul Surfer
2007 - Then She Found Me
2006 - Bobby
2004 - A Good Woman
2001 - The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
2001 - One Night At McCool
2000 - Pay it Forward
2000 - What Women Want
2000 - Cast Away
2000 - Dr. T and the Women
1997 - As Good As It Gets
1996 - Twister
1995 - Kiss of Death
1992 - Bob Roberts
1991 - Trancers II
1989 - Next of Kin
1988 - Stealing Home
1987 - Project X
1986 - Peggy Sue Got Married
1985 - Girls Just Want to Have Fun
1977 - Rollercoaster
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest
Herself - Host
Helen Elizabeth Hunt (born June 15, 1963) is an American actress, film director, and screenwriter. She starred in the sitcom, Mad About You, for seven years before being cast in the 1997 romantic comedy film, As Good as It Gets for which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. Some of her other notable films include Twister, Cast Away, What Women Want, Pay It Forward, Soul Surfer and The Sessions. She made her directorial debut in 2007 with Then She Found Me. She has won four Emmy awards, four Golden Globe awards, two Screen Actors Guild awards, and an Oscar.
Born in Culver City, California. Her mother, Jane Elizabeth (née Novis), worked as a photographer, and her father, Gordon E. Hunt, is a film and voice director and acting coach. Her uncle, Peter H. Hunt, is also a director. Her Iowa-born maternal grandmother, Dorothy (Anderson) Fries, was a voice coach. Hunt's paternal grandmother was from a German Jewish family, while Hunt's other grandparents were of English descent (her maternal grandfather was born in England). When she was three, Hunt's family moved to New York City, where her father directed theatre (Hunt attended plays as a child several times a week). Hunt studied ballet, and briefly attended UCLA.
- Her daughter, Makena Lei, was named after a friend's dream. The name means "many flowers of heaven." The baby's middle name, Gordon, is in honor of Helen's father, 'Gordon Hunt (I)' (qv).
- Celebrates Thanksgiving every year with 'Anthony Edwards (I)' (qv).
- Got the role in _Twister (1996)_ (qv) based on her performance in _The Waterdance (1992)_ (qv).
- Frequents Hawaii, which she first visited when she was 14. Says, "It's where I feel right. I can write here, think, chill and get a clear head.".
- (2001) Has won Four Emmys, four Golden Globes, a Blockbuster Award, two Screen Actors Guild awards, four American Comedy Awards, three Viewers for Quality Television Awards and an Oscar, along with other awards.
- Graduated from Providence High School in Burbank, California.
- Dated 'Eric Stoltz' (qv), her _The Waterdance (1992)_ (qv) co-star.
- Beat 'Teri Hatcher' (qv) for the role of Jamie Buchman in _"Mad About You" (1992)_ (qv) at the final auditions.