May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
One of the Dukes
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- He was honored with a lifetime achievement award at the 24th Istanbul Film Festival. (16 April 2005)
- Operates his own film production company, The Goatsingers, with partner 'Peggy Gormley (I)' (qv).
- (1998) Listed as one of Entertainment Weekly's 25 Best Actors.
- Appears in _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv) and its sequel, _Be Cool (2005)_ (qv), but in two completely different parts.
- Daughter, 'Stella Keitel' (qv), with 'Lorraine Bracco' (qv).
- Presented good friend and fellow actor 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv) with the inaugural Rebel Award for his past, present and ongoing commitment to independent film at Rebelfest 2005, Toronto.
- Like his good friend 'Robert De Niro' (qv), Keitel is usually very uncomfortable during interviews, often nervously laughing through them.
- Served in the U. S. Marines.