May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- Resides in New York City. Also owns a home in California.
- Appears in _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv) and its sequel, _Be Cool (2005)_ (qv), but in two completely different parts.
- (August 2004) Son, Roman, with wife 'Daphna Kastner' (qv).
- He is Godfather to 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv)'s son Max.
- He was honored with a lifetime achievement award at the 24th Istanbul Film Festival. (16 April 2005)
- A member of The Actors Studio, had studied with 'Frank Corsaro (II)' (qv), 'Lee Strasberg' (qv) & 'Stella Adler' (qv).
- Like his good friend 'Robert De Niro' (qv), Keitel is usually very uncomfortable during interviews, often nervously laughing through them.
- Worked as a court stenographer in NYC for about 10 years while he was a struggling actor.