May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- A member of The Actors Studio, had studied with 'Frank Corsaro (II)' (qv), 'Lee Strasberg' (qv) & 'Stella Adler' (qv).
- Like his good friend 'Robert De Niro' (qv), Keitel is usually very uncomfortable during interviews, often nervously laughing through them.
- (1999) Dated 'Andie MacDowell' (qv).
- (1998) Listed as one of Entertainment Weekly's 25 Best Actors.
- (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#95).
- Served in the U. S. Marines.
- _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv), from which he was fired, was loosely based on 'Joseph Conrad (I)' (qv)'s novel, "Heart of Darkness". Although Keitel didn't appear in the final film, he does appear in _The Duellists (1977)_ (qv), which is based on another Conrad story.
- Met second wife, 'Daphna Kastner' (qv) at the Toronto film festival on 11 September 2001 and married her in a secret ceremony in Jerusalem, Israel three weeks later (7 October).