May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
One of the Dukes
Himself - Guest
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- (October 1997) Ranked #37 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv), from which he was fired, was loosely based on 'Joseph Conrad (I)' (qv)'s novel, "Heart of Darkness". Although Keitel didn't appear in the final film, he does appear in _The Duellists (1977)_ (qv), which is based on another Conrad story.
- Resides in New York City. Also owns a home in California.
- Appears in _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv) and its sequel, _Be Cool (2005)_ (qv), but in two completely different parts.
- (1999) Dated 'Andie MacDowell' (qv).
- Graduated from the BFA program at the prestigious Actors Studio, New School University in New York city, under Dean 'James Lipton' (qv).
- Served in the U. S. Marines.
- A member of The Actors Studio, had studied with 'Frank Corsaro (II)' (qv), 'Lee Strasberg' (qv) & 'Stella Adler' (qv).