May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- (October 1997) Ranked #37 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- Daughter, 'Stella Keitel' (qv), with 'Lorraine Bracco' (qv).
- Graduated from the BFA program at the prestigious Actors Studio, New School University in New York city, under Dean 'James Lipton' (qv).
- (1998) Listed as one of Entertainment Weekly's 25 Best Actors.
- Has demonstrated extraordinary enthusiasm for working with first-time directors, from 'Martin Scorsese' (qv) in 1968 to 'Ridley Scott' (qv), 'Paul Schrader (I)' (qv), 'James Toback' (qv), 'Quentin Tarantino' (qv), and in 1999, Vietnamese-American 'Tony Bui' (qv).
- Has a son, Hudson, born to then girlfriend Lisa Karmazin, a potter in California, in the summer of 2001.
- A member of The Actors Studio, had studied with 'Frank Corsaro (II)' (qv), 'Lee Strasberg' (qv) & 'Stella Adler' (qv).
- (August 2004) Son, Roman, with wife 'Daphna Kastner' (qv).