May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- Met second wife, 'Daphna Kastner' (qv) at the Toronto film festival on 11 September 2001 and married her in a secret ceremony in Jerusalem, Israel three weeks later (7 October).
- _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv), from which he was fired, was loosely based on 'Joseph Conrad (I)' (qv)'s novel, "Heart of Darkness". Although Keitel didn't appear in the final film, he does appear in _The Duellists (1977)_ (qv), which is based on another Conrad story.
- Shares two roles with 'Dennis Farina' (qv). At the end of _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), he plays the Dennis Farina character in the movie-within-a-movie. Farina also originated the role of Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), a role that Keitel played in the remake _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- Operates his own film production company, The Goatsingers, with partner 'Peggy Gormley (I)' (qv).
- A member of The Actors Studio, had studied with 'Frank Corsaro (II)' (qv), 'Lee Strasberg' (qv) & 'Stella Adler' (qv).
- (August 2004) Son, Roman, with wife 'Daphna Kastner' (qv).
- His last name is pronounced "ky-tel".
- Worked as a salesman in a women's shoestore.