May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- He was honored with a lifetime achievement award at the 24th Istanbul Film Festival. (16 April 2005)
- Has demonstrated extraordinary enthusiasm for working with first-time directors, from 'Martin Scorsese' (qv) in 1968 to 'Ridley Scott' (qv), 'Paul Schrader (I)' (qv), 'James Toback' (qv), 'Quentin Tarantino' (qv), and in 1999, Vietnamese-American 'Tony Bui' (qv).
- (1999) Dated 'Andie MacDowell' (qv).
- Has a son, Hudson, born to then girlfriend Lisa Karmazin, a potter in California, in the summer of 2001.
- Although he frequently plays Italian-American characters, Keitel is of Polish and Romanian Jewish heritage.
- He is Godfather to 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv)'s son Max.
- Worked as a salesman in a women's shoestore.
- Resides in New York City. Also owns a home in California.