May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Harvey Keitel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- He is Godfather to 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv)'s son Max.
- Daughter, 'Stella Keitel' (qv), with 'Lorraine Bracco' (qv).
- (October 1997) Ranked #37 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- Is one of three actors to play Jack Crawford in the Hannibal Lecter films. He played the role in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), while 'Scott Glenn' (qv) played the role in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), and 'Dennis Farina' (qv) played the role in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- Met second wife, 'Daphna Kastner' (qv) at the Toronto film festival on 11 September 2001 and married her in a secret ceremony in Jerusalem, Israel three weeks later (7 October).
- Presented good friend and fellow actor 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv) with the inaugural Rebel Award for his past, present and ongoing commitment to independent film at Rebelfest 2005, Toronto.
- Has demonstrated extraordinary enthusiasm for working with first-time directors, from 'Martin Scorsese' (qv) in 1968 to 'Ridley Scott' (qv), 'Paul Schrader (I)' (qv), 'James Toback' (qv), 'Quentin Tarantino' (qv), and in 1999, Vietnamese-American 'Tony Bui' (qv).
- Operates his own film production company, The Goatsingers, with partner 'Peggy Gormley (I)' (qv).