May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- He was honored with a lifetime achievement award at the 24th Istanbul Film Festival. (16 April 2005)
- (1999) Dated 'Andie MacDowell' (qv).
- Shares two roles with 'Dennis Farina' (qv). At the end of _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), he plays the Dennis Farina character in the movie-within-a-movie. Farina also originated the role of Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), a role that Keitel played in the remake _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- Although he frequently plays Italian-American characters, Keitel is of Polish and Romanian Jewish heritage.
- Operates his own film production company, The Goatsingers, with partner 'Peggy Gormley (I)' (qv).
- _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv), from which he was fired, was loosely based on 'Joseph Conrad (I)' (qv)'s novel, "Heart of Darkness". Although Keitel didn't appear in the final film, he does appear in _The Duellists (1977)_ (qv), which is based on another Conrad story.
- Has a son, Hudson, born to then girlfriend Lisa Karmazin, a potter in California, in the summer of 2001.
- Has demonstrated extraordinary enthusiasm for working with first-time directors, from 'Martin Scorsese' (qv) in 1968 to 'Ridley Scott' (qv), 'Paul Schrader (I)' (qv), 'James Toback' (qv), 'Quentin Tarantino' (qv), and in 1999, Vietnamese-American 'Tony Bui' (qv).