May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- He is Godfather to 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv)'s son Max.
- (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#95).
- Presented good friend and fellow actor 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv) with the inaugural Rebel Award for his past, present and ongoing commitment to independent film at Rebelfest 2005, Toronto.
- Has a son, Hudson, born to then girlfriend Lisa Karmazin, a potter in California, in the summer of 2001.
- Appears in _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv) and its sequel, _Be Cool (2005)_ (qv), but in two completely different parts.
- Shares two roles with 'Dennis Farina' (qv). At the end of _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), he plays the Dennis Farina character in the movie-within-a-movie. Farina also originated the role of Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), a role that Keitel played in the remake _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- (1998) Listed as one of Entertainment Weekly's 25 Best Actors.
- A member of The Actors Studio, had studied with 'Frank Corsaro (II)' (qv), 'Lee Strasberg' (qv) & 'Stella Adler' (qv).