May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Harvey Keitel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- Has demonstrated extraordinary enthusiasm for working with first-time directors, from 'Martin Scorsese' (qv) in 1968 to 'Ridley Scott' (qv), 'Paul Schrader (I)' (qv), 'James Toback' (qv), 'Quentin Tarantino' (qv), and in 1999, Vietnamese-American 'Tony Bui' (qv).
- Appears in _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv) and its sequel, _Be Cool (2005)_ (qv), but in two completely different parts.
- He was honored with a lifetime achievement award at the 24th Istanbul Film Festival. (16 April 2005)
- (1999) Dated 'Andie MacDowell' (qv).
- (1998) Listed as one of Entertainment Weekly's 25 Best Actors.
- Graduated from the BFA program at the prestigious Actors Studio, New School University in New York city, under Dean 'James Lipton' (qv).
- Presented good friend and fellow actor 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv) with the inaugural Rebel Award for his past, present and ongoing commitment to independent film at Rebelfest 2005, Toronto.
- Daughter, 'Stella Keitel' (qv), with 'Lorraine Bracco' (qv).