May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Guest TV Roles
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- (1999) Dated 'Andie MacDowell' (qv).
- Is one of three actors to play Jack Crawford in the Hannibal Lecter films. He played the role in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), while 'Scott Glenn' (qv) played the role in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), and 'Dennis Farina' (qv) played the role in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- Like his good friend 'Robert De Niro' (qv), Keitel is usually very uncomfortable during interviews, often nervously laughing through them.
- Served in the U. S. Marines.
- (1998) Listed as one of Entertainment Weekly's 25 Best Actors.
- He was originally cast as Captain Willard in _Apocalypse Now (1979)_ (qv). He was let go from the film, just two weeks into filming due to creative differences with director 'Francis Ford Coppola' (qv). 'Martin Sheen' (qv) replaced him.
- Has a son, Hudson, born to then girlfriend Lisa Karmazin, a potter in California, in the summer of 2001.
- Shares two roles with 'Dennis Farina' (qv). At the end of _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), he plays the Dennis Farina character in the movie-within-a-movie. Farina also originated the role of Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), a role that Keitel played in the remake _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).