May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Harvey Keitel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- (1999) Dated 'Andie MacDowell' (qv).
- Has demonstrated extraordinary enthusiasm for working with first-time directors, from 'Martin Scorsese' (qv) in 1968 to 'Ridley Scott' (qv), 'Paul Schrader (I)' (qv), 'James Toback' (qv), 'Quentin Tarantino' (qv), and in 1999, Vietnamese-American 'Tony Bui' (qv).
- He is Godfather to 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv)'s son Max.
- (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#95).
- Shares two roles with 'Dennis Farina' (qv). At the end of _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), he plays the Dennis Farina character in the movie-within-a-movie. Farina also originated the role of Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), a role that Keitel played in the remake _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- Worked as a court stenographer in NYC for about 10 years while he was a struggling actor.
- (October 1997) Ranked #37 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- Is one of three actors to play Jack Crawford in the Hannibal Lecter films. He played the role in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), while 'Scott Glenn' (qv) played the role in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), and 'Dennis Farina' (qv) played the role in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).