May. 13th, 1939
Brooklyn, New York, USA
5' 7 1/2"
Harvey Keitel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Came to prominence in the early films of Martin Scorsese after working in theatre for around ten years, particularly Mean Streets (1973) and Taxi Driver (1976). Faded into anonymity in the eighties even though he turned in some impressive performances in films by some of America's leading directors. He re-emergered into star status with his role as Mr. White in Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992), Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Piano (1993) 0110912.
- Appears in _Puerto Vallarta Squeeze (2004)_ (qv) opposite 'Scott Glenn' (qv), with whom he shared the role of Jack Crawford in the Hannibal Lecter films.
- Shares two roles with 'Dennis Farina' (qv). At the end of _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv), he plays the Dennis Farina character in the movie-within-a-movie. Farina also originated the role of Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), a role that Keitel played in the remake _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv).
- A member of The Actors Studio, had studied with 'Frank Corsaro (II)' (qv), 'Lee Strasberg' (qv) & 'Stella Adler' (qv).
- (1999) Dated 'Andie MacDowell' (qv).
- Although he frequently plays Italian-American characters, Keitel is of Polish and Romanian Jewish heritage.
- Graduated from the BFA program at the prestigious Actors Studio, New School University in New York city, under Dean 'James Lipton' (qv).
- He was honored with a lifetime achievement award at the 24th Istanbul Film Festival. (16 April 2005)
- Operates his own film production company, The Goatsingers, with partner 'Peggy Gormley (I)' (qv).