Jul. 13th, 1942
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Harrison Ford (born July 13, 1942) is an American film actor and producer. He is famous for his performances as Han Solo in the original Star Wars trilogy and the title character of the Indiana Jones film series. Ford is also known for his roles as Rick Deckard in Blade Runner, John Book in Witness and Jack Ryan in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. His career has spanned six decades and includes roles in several Hollywood blockbusters, including Apocalypse Now, Presumed Innocent, The Fugitive, Air Force One, and What Lies Beneath. At one point, four of the top six box-office hits of all time included one of his roles. Five of his films have been inducted into the National Film Registry.
In 1997, Ford was ranked No. 1 in Empire's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. As of July 2008, the United States domestic box office grosses of Ford's films total over US$3.5 billion, with worldwide grosses surpassing $6 billion, making Ford the third highest grossing U.S. domestic box-office star.
Ford was born at Chicago, Illinois's Swedish Covenant Hospital. His mother, Dorothy (née Dora Nidelman), was a homemaker and former radio actress, and his father, Christopher Ford (born John William Ford), was an advertising executive and a former actor. A younger brother, Terence, was born in 1945. Ford's paternal grandparents, John Fitzgerald Ford and Florence Veronica Niehaus, were of Irish Catholic and German descent, respectively. Ford's maternal grandparents, Harry Nidelman and Anna Lifschutz, were Jewish immigrants from Minsk, Belarus (at that time a part of the Russian Empire). When asked in which religion he and his brother were raised, Ford has jokingly responded, "Democrat," "to be liberals of every stripe". In a television interview shown in August 2000, when asked about what influence his Irish Catholic and Russian Jewish ancestry may have had on his life as a person and as an artist, Ford humorously stated "As a man I've always felt Irish, as an actor I've always felt Jewish".
Ford's roles in movies and TV, Ironside (1967), The Virginian (1962) remained secondary and, discouraged, he turned to a career in professional carpentry. He came back big four years later, however, as Bob Falfa in American Graffiti (1973). Four years after that he hit colossal with the role of Han Solo in Star Wars (1977). Another four years and Ford was Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).
Four years later and he received Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations for his role as John Book in Witness (1985). All he managed four years after that was his third starring success as Indiana Jones; in fact, many of his earlier successful roles led to sequels as did his more recent portrayal of Jack Ryan in Patriot Games (1992). Another Golden Globe nomination came his way for the part of Dr. Richard Kimble in The Fugitive (1993). He is clearly a well-established Hollywood superstar.
Ford injured his chin at the age of 22 when his car, a Volvo 544, hit a telephone pole near Laguna Beach, CA; the scar is clearly visible in his films. Two films starring Ford incorporate the scar into his character's backstory: in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, a young Indiana Jones cuts his chin while attempting to crack a whip to ward off a lion, and in Working Girl, Ford's character explains that it happened when he passed out and hit his chin on the toilet when a college girlfriend was piercing his ear.
In June 1983, at age 40, during the filming of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in London, he herniated a disc in his back, forcing him to fly back to Los Angeles for an operation. He returned six weeks later.
Ford also maintains an 800-acre ranch in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
Ford is one of Hollywood's most private actors, guarding his personal life. He has two sons (Benjamin and Willard) with his first wife, Mary Marquardt, as well as two children (Malcolm and Georgia) with his second wife, screenwriter 'Melissa Mathison'.
Ford began dating actress 'Calista Flockhart' after meeting at the 2002 Golden Globes, and together they are parents to her adopted son, Liam. Ford proposed to Flockhart over Valentine's Day weekend in 2009. They married on June 15, 2010, in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where Ford was filming Cowboys & Aliens.
Ford has three grandchildren: Eliel (born 1993), Giuliana (born 1997), and Ethan (born 2000). Son Benjamin owns Ford's Filling Station, a gastropub in Culver City, California. Son Willard is co-owner of Ford & Ching showroom, as well as Ludwig Clothing company.
He has also flown as an invited VIP with the Blue Angels.
Ford is an Honorary Board Member of the humanitarian aviation organization Wings of Hope.
- He provided the whip-cracks on the song "Desperation Samba (Halloween in Tijuana)" for 'Jimmy Buffett' (qv)'s album "Last Mango in Paris"
- 30 May 2003: Received star on Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- He was offered the title role in _Schindler's List (1993)_ (qv) but declined, saying that some people would not be able to look past him as a star to see the importance of the film.
- In _Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)_ (qv), Harrison's character refers to a philosophy class taught down the hall by a Dr. Tyree. In real life, Dr. Tyree was Ford's college mentor as a philosophy major at Ripon College.
- Has been in three films written by 'Lawrence Kasdan' (qv), but never one directed by him. Kasdan wrote _Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)_ (qv), _Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)_ (qv) and _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).
- Out of the three leads of the original Star Wars trilogy, he was the only one to appear in all three films without ever signing a contract.
- Was originally brought in by 'George Lucas (I)' (qv) to feed lines to other actors auditioning for _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv) because he wasn't allowed to audition (Lucas wanted new faces for the film). He eventually won Lucas over and the role of Han Solo went to him.
- While filming _Firewall (2006)_ (qv) in Vancouver, British Columbia, he was so impressed with the beauty of Bowen Island that he purchased a $13-million waterfront property upon the request of girlfriend 'Calista Flockhart' (qv).