Aug. 14th, 1966
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Halle Berry's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Halle Berry (born August 14, 1966) in Cleveland, Ohio, USA to African American father Jerome Berry, a former hospital attendant, and Caucasian mother Judith Berry, a retired psychiatric nurse. Berry also has an older sister named 'Heidi Berry'. Berry first came into the spotlight at 17 years old when she won the Miss Teen All-American Pageant, representing the state of Ohio in 1985 and, a year later in 1986, when she was the first runner-up in the Miss USA Pageant. After participating in the pageant, Halle became a model.
It eventually led to her first weekly TV series, 1989's Living Dolls (1989), where she soon gained a reputation for her on-set tenacity, preferring to "live" her roles and remaining in character even when the cameras stopped rolling. It paid off though when she reportedly refused to bathe for several days before starting work on her role as a crack addict in 'Spike Lee' Jungle Fever (1991) because the role provided her big screen breakthrough. The following year, she was cast as 'Eddie Murphy' love interest in Boomerang (1992), one of the few times that Murphy was evenly matched on screen.
In 1994, Berry gained a youthful following for her performance as sexy secretary Sharon Stone in The Flintstones (1994). She next had a highly publicized costarring role with 'Jessica Lange' in the adoption drama Losing Isaiah (1995). Though the movie received mixed reviews, Berry didn't let that slow her down, and continued down her path to super-stardom.
In 1998, she received critical success when she starred as a street smart young woman who takes up with a struggling politician in 'Warren Beatty' Bulworth (1998). The following year, she won even greater acclaim for her role as actress 'Dorothy Dandridge' in made-for-cable's Introducing Dorothy Dandridge (1999), for which she won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a TV Movie/Mini-Series. In 2000, she received box office success in X-Men (2000) in which she played "Storm", a mutant who has the ability to control the weather.
- Received the 2,333rd star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on April 3, 2007.
- Saved from choking on a fig by 'Pierce Brosnan' (qv) during shooting of the love scene on Cuba for _Die Another Day (2002)_ (qv).
- Was born in Cleveland but grew up in Oakwood Village, Ohio. She still has family there.
- Lost some hearing in one of her ears due to a physical encounter with a boyfriend in the early 90s.
- Well known for "living" her roles, she refused to bathe for two weeks in preparation for a role as a crack addict in _Jungle Fever (1991)_ (qv).
- In high school, was an honor society member, editor of the school paper, and class president. Was also crowned prom queen.
- Voted as #7 on the "Top 100 Sexiest Women 2004" in FHM [DK].
- Adopted 'Eric BenÚt' (qv)'s daughter India