Apr. 10th, 1988
Los Angeles, California, USA
Haley Joel Osment's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
American child actor who at this writing (2000) has proven himself perhaps the best young actor of his generation. The son of actor 'Eugene Osment' and teacher Theresa Osment, Haley was chosen for a commercial at age four after a casting director spotted him in a furniture store with his parents. Within months, he had landed a small but memorable role as Tom Hanks's son in Forrest Gump (1994) and a starring role as Edward Asner's grandson on the TV series Thunder Alley (1994). His comedy skills were manifest very young, and he followed Thunder Alley (1994) with two more sitcoms. 'Norman Jewison' gave him his first leading role on the big screen in Bogus (1996), and he proved completely at ease in this dramatic role. However, it took the smash hit The Sixth Sense (1999) to brand the young actor on the public consciousness. His devastating performance as the haunted Cole Sear brought him an Oscar nomination at age 11 and a memorable tribute at the awards from winner 'Michael Caine': "Once I learned of your nomination and saw your performance, I knew for sure you would win". Since then, Osment has given an equally powerful performance in Pay It Forward (2000). Along with bravura performances, he has developed an equal reputation in the industry for unspoiled professionalism. His younger sister, 'Emily Osment', has made several impressive film and television appearances as well.
- He's a big lover of lizards. He owns two leopard geckos from Pakistan as pets and, as a favorite pastime, likes to catch and release lizards in his backyard or on vacations.
- He donated many items to 'Rocky Stone (I)' (qv) to be given to less-fortunate kids as part of the Toy Mountain Campaign.
- Though Osment is now a well-known actor, what many people don't know is that _Forrest Gump (1994)_ (qv), a very popular contemporary classic, was one of his first films. That is not surprising, since his screen time was only about two minutes, despite playing the son of the title character. It was another five years before he became famous with _The Sixth Sense (1999)_ (qv), another popular contemporary classic.
- His favorite cuisine is Chinese, and he eats it constantly.
- Favorite authors: 'J.R.R. Tolkien' (qv) and 'Edgar Allan Poe' (qv)
- Started acting at age 4.
- (October 2008) Making his Broadway debut on the play American Buffalo.
- Favorite music: 'R.E.M. (I)' (qv), 'Coldplay' (qv), 'Radiohead' (qv), 'Pink Floyd' (qv), 'Flying Lotus' (qv), and 'Led Zeppelin' (qv).