Apr. 10th, 1988
Los Angeles, California, USA
Haley Joel Osment's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
American child actor who at this writing (2000) has proven himself perhaps the best young actor of his generation. The son of actor 'Eugene Osment' and teacher Theresa Osment, Haley was chosen for a commercial at age four after a casting director spotted him in a furniture store with his parents. Within months, he had landed a small but memorable role as Tom Hanks's son in Forrest Gump (1994) and a starring role as Edward Asner's grandson on the TV series Thunder Alley (1994). His comedy skills were manifest very young, and he followed Thunder Alley (1994) with two more sitcoms. 'Norman Jewison' gave him his first leading role on the big screen in Bogus (1996), and he proved completely at ease in this dramatic role. However, it took the smash hit The Sixth Sense (1999) to brand the young actor on the public consciousness. His devastating performance as the haunted Cole Sear brought him an Oscar nomination at age 11 and a memorable tribute at the awards from winner 'Michael Caine': "Once I learned of your nomination and saw your performance, I knew for sure you would win". Since then, Osment has given an equally powerful performance in Pay It Forward (2000). Along with bravura performances, he has developed an equal reputation in the industry for unspoiled professionalism. His younger sister, 'Emily Osment', has made several impressive film and television appearances as well.
- His father, 'Eugene Osment' (qv), frequently makes cameo appearances in his movies.
- Son of 'Eugene Osment' (qv)
- He took a two-year break from filming after making _Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001)_ (qv), before making a brief comeback with _Secondhand Lions (2003)_ (qv), but he had plenty of commitments during those two years of absence from the screen. His work included making promotional tours for AI during the summer holiday in 2001, making TV appearances, and doing voice-over work.
- Auditioned for Anakin Skywalker in _Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)_ (qv), but didn't get a callback.
- Favorite music: 'R.E.M. (I)' (qv), 'Coldplay' (qv), 'Radiohead' (qv), 'Pink Floyd' (qv), 'Flying Lotus' (qv), and 'Led Zeppelin' (qv).
- Although gossiped to be 'Steven Spielberg' (qv)'s favorite to play the title role in _Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)_ (qv), had Spielberg directed the film as once planned, Osment himself denied this and was vehemently against the series even being made into films lest the magic of the novels be ruined.
- (October 2008) Making his Broadway debut on the play American Buffalo.
- He is a straight-A student