Aug. 27th, 1944
Port Arthur, Texas, USA
G.W. Bailey's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - Home on the Range
1990 - Q & A
1989 - Police Academy 6: City Under Siege
1988 - Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach
1987 - Mannequin
1987 - Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol
1986 - Short Circuit
1985 - Rustlers' Rhapsody
1985 - Warning Sign
1985 - Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment
1984 - Runaway
1984 - Police Academy
1979 - A Force of One
Guest TV Roles
Sergeant Luther Rizzo
Cmdr. Jim Grigg
Lt. Alex Tibideaux
Police Chief Don Potter
Ulysses S. Grant
George William "G. W." Bailey (born August 27, 1944) is a stage, television and film actor. Although he appeared in many dramatic roles, he may be best remembered for his "crusty" comedic characters such as Staff Sergeant Luther Rizzo in M*A*S*H (TV-Series 1979 - 1983); Lieutenant—and later, Captain—Thaddeus Harris in Police Academy (1984–1994), and Captain Felix Maxwell in Mannequin (1987). He currently stars on the TNT series The Closer (he has known Closer creator James Duff since 1972, when he was his high-school instructor in Lubbock, Texas and has also known co-star Tony Denison for several years)
Bailey was born in Port Arthur, Texas. He went to Thomas Jefferson High School in Port Arthur with Janis Joplin and Jimmy Johnson. In the summer of 1961, Bailey had a fight with Joplin at a friend's house that resulted in a large, valuable ornament getting broken.He started college at Lamar University in nearby Beaumont and transferred to Texas Tech University in Lubbock. He left college and spent the mid-1960s working at local theater companies before moving to California in the mid-1970s, where he landed roles on television programs of the day such as Starsky and Hutch and Charlie's Angels.
His movie debut was in A Force of One (1979), an early Chuck Norris film. He then got his breakout role as Rizzo in M*A*S*H.
He returned to college in 1993, attending Southwest Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. He graduated in May 1994 with a Bachelor's of Fine Arts, Theatre. For the 1999–2000 school year, he was the Artist-in-Residence.
Since 2001, Bailey has served as the Executive Director of the Sunshine Kids Foundation,which provides trips and activities for hundreds of young cancer patients annually. He has volunteered for over fifteen years since being introduced to the organization by his goddaughter, who was diagnosed with leukemia
A Force of One (1979)
Murder in Texas (1981) (TV)
St. Elsewhere (1982–1983)
Police Academy (1984)
Warning Sign (1985)
Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985)
Short Circuit (1986)
Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987)
Police Academy 5: Assignment: Miami Beach (1988)
Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989)
Dead Before Dawn (1993) (TV)
Police Academy: Mission to Moscow (1994)
Murder She Wrote, Season 12 Episode 4 (1995) (TV)
The Jeff Foxworthy Show (1996–1997)
Home on the Range (2004) (voice)
The Closer (TV series 2005- )
Cake: A Wedding Story (2007)
Left Turn Yield (2007)
- He is the Executive Director and Board Member of the Sunshine Kids Foundation, which provides trips and activities for hundreds of young cancer patients annually.
- Along with 'Janis Joplin' (qv), one of Bailey's other high school classmates was future head coach of the University of Miami Hurricanes and Dallas Cowboys, 'Jimmy Johnson (III)' (qv).
- Originally studied law at Texas Tech, but ultimately decided to become an actor instead.
- For the 1999-2000 school year, he is the Artist-in-Residence for Southwest Texas State University.
- Began his theatrical career as the artistic director of the Lubbock Theater Center.
- A member in repertory of the Actor's Theatre of Louisville in the 70s with 'Michael Gross (I)' (qv), 'Tom Atkins (I)' (qv), 'Victor Jory (I)' (qv) and many others who went on to further fame.
- He has a plaque on the "West Texas Hall Of Fame" which adorns the base at the feet of a statue of rock n' roll legend 'Buddy Holly' (qv) in Lubbock, Texas. The plaques commemorate all musicians and actors from Texas.
- _"The Closer" (2005)_ (qv) is the second series in which he and 'Anthony John Denison' (qv) have been cast members. The first was _"Under Cover" (1991)_ (qv), a series in the early 90s about the CIA.