May. 31st, 1950
Avalon, Catalina Island, California, USA
Gregory Harrison's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Give 'em Hell, Malone
2000 - Canone inverso - making love
1998 - Air Bud: Golden Receiver
1996 - It's My Party
1987 - North Shore
1984 - Razorback
1973 - The Harrad Experiment
Guest TV Roles
Old John Loengard (Voiced)
Gregory Neale Harrison (born May 31, 1950) is an American actor. He is known for his role as Chandler in the 1987 cult favorite North Shore and as Dr. George Alonzo "Gonzo" Gates on the CBS series Trapper John, M.D. 1979-85.
Born in Avalon, California, the son of Ed, a ship's captain and poet.
Harrison served for two years in the United States Army during the Vietnam War era as a medic.
He was the title character on the 1977-78 science fiction series Logan's Run, after which he played the role of Levi Zendt on the 1978 NBC miniseries Centennial and had a situation comedy on CBS called Family Man, in which he played a single-father fireman who was rearing three children. He also played a widowed sheriff rearing three children in his mother's motel called Safe Harbor (1999).
Harrison later won a role as Pernell Roberts' young surgeon, in a popular spin-off medical drama, which was taken from the long-running sitcom, M*A*S*H, on Trapper John, M.D., prior to guest-starring on an episode of its parent series, the year after Wayne Rogers left the show.
Harrison's later role as stripper John Phillips in the 1981 TV movie For Ladies Only made him a favorite with women and gay men in the 1980s. He spoofed that role in the 1986 miniseries Fresno where his character appeared shirtless at every opportunity. Harrison was a regular in the final season (1989–90) of Falcon Crest, opposite 'Jane Wyman', who was absent for nearly the remainder of the last season, due to her health problems, and with the direction her show was going. In 1996, he starred opposite 'Eric Roberts' in It's My Party, a film based on the true events of a man diagnosed with AIDS who planned a two-day party to say goodbye to his friends and family and then took his own life with pills.
He also starred in the WB Network's Safe Harbor and One Tree Hill and has made guest appearances on numerous other shows such as Touched by an Angel, Judging Amy, Reunion, Joey, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Drop Dead Diva, and Hot In Cleveland.
For the last few years he has played the lead in a touring version of the musical Chicago and was the male lead in each film of the Au Pair trilogy. He also appeared as Benjamin Stone in the Broadway revival of Stephen Sondheim's Follies and created a role in the original Broadway production of Kander & Ebb's Steel Pier. In 2011 he had a guest starring role as a doctor on ABC's Body of Proof.
- Wife 'Randi Oakes' (qv) is also an actress who played the character "Officer Bonnie Clark" on the TV series _"CHiPs" (1977)_ (qv).
- Best known by the public for his starring role as Chief of Surgery - Dr. George Alonzo 'Gonzo' Gates on _"Trapper John, M.D." (1979)_ (qv).
- Gregory was discovered on the musical theater stage and returns there now and again.
- In 1980, he formed with 'Franklin R. Levy' (qv) the "Catalina Production Group Ltd." producing numerous stage projects, more than two dozen televsion movies. Catalina was an important force in the Los Angeles theater scene, from 1981 to 1992, plays presented by Catalina were honored with over 150 theater awards, E.g. in 1982 for "The Hasty Heart".
- Played the role of slick lawyer Billy Flynn in the NY production of "Chicago" on and off between the years 2003 and 2006.
- He is also one of the original members of the Surfrider Foundation, a non-profit environmental organization that works to protect the coast that was founded in 1984. Harrison is an avid surfer. He claims to have ridden the waves of every surfable ocean on almost every continent in the world.
- Never saw snow until he was 19 years old.
- Spent his youth swimming, fishing, and diving for coins tossed by the tourists who lined the railings of the two-thousand passenger S.S. Catalina as it sailed into the bay during the summer.
Related sites for this celeb