May. 31st, 1950
Avalon, Catalina Island, California, USA
Gregory Harrison's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Give 'em Hell, Malone
2000 - Canone inverso - making love
1998 - Air Bud: Golden Receiver
1996 - It's My Party
1987 - North Shore
1984 - Razorback
1973 - The Harrad Experiment
Guest TV Roles
Old John Loengard (Voiced)
Born: May 31, 1950
During his days of prominence in the '80s,American actor Gregory Harrison became the unofficial poster boy of the Catalina Island chamber of commerce. As a native of that offshore isle, Harrison frequently guested on talk and variety shows, elucidating the natural wonders of both Catalina and the Avalon resort. A graduate of New York's Actors Studio, Harrison briefly supported himself as a nightclub doorman before securing small film and TV roles. Harrison's most memorable credits were for the small screen: He played Logan 5 on Logan's_Run (1977), Michael Sharpe on the final 1989-90 season of Falcon Crest, and the title role in the brief 1990 sitcom The_Family_Man. Harrison's longest TV-series run was seven seasons (1979-86) as "Gonzo" Gates, the Vietnam-vet doctor on Trapper John MD (1979-86). Hal Erickson, Rovi
- Best known by the public for his starring role as Chief of Surgery - Dr. George Alonzo 'Gonzo' Gates on _"Trapper John, M.D." (1979)_ (qv).
- Never saw snow until he was 19 years old.
- In 1980, Gregory formed, with 'Franklin R. Levy' (qv), the Catalina Production Group. Over the next eleven years, they produced numerous stage projects and nearly two dozen television movies. Catalina Productions was an important force in the Los Angeles theater scene from 1981 to 1992, and the approximately 60 plays presented by the company were honored with over 150 local theater awards. Those plays included "The Hasty Heart" (1982), which won the Los Angeles Drama Critics Award as Best Production (including Best Actor for Gregory), and "Picnic" (1986), for which Gregory won a Dramalogue Award. In 1990, he was was the recipient of the L.A. Ovation Award for Outstanding Contribution to L.A. Theater.
- He is also one of the original members of the Surfrider Foundation, a non-profit environmental organization that works to protect the coast that was founded in 1984. Harrison is an avid surfer. He claims to have ridden the waves of every surfable ocean on almost every continent in the world.
- Jobs varied during his salad years from delivery boy and window washer to handyman and construction worker. He also worked/performed at a bawdy Elizabethan-styled theatre/restaurant.
- Spent his youth swimming, fishing, and diving for coins tossed by the tourists who lined the railings of the two-thousand passenger S.S. Catalina as it sailed into the bay during the summer.
- After serving for two years as a medic, he finally received an honorable discharge in 1971 from the Army as a non-religious conscientious objector.
- Gregory was discovered on the musical theater stage and returns there now and again.
Related sites for this celeb