Sep. 9th, 1972
Sibenik, Croatia, Yugoslavia
Goran Visnjic's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Asthma
2013 - The Counselor
2013 - K-11
2011 - Beginners
2011 - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2009 - Helen
2005 - Elektra
2002 - Doctor Sleep
2002 - Ice Age
2001 - The Deep End
1998 - Practical Magic
1998 - Rounders
1997 - The Peacemaker
Guest TV Roles
Goran Visnjic (born September 9, 1972) is an actor and producer, known for ER (1994), Ice Age (2002) and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011).
Born in the Dalmatian coastal city of Šibenik, SR Croatia, SFR Yugoslavia. He has one older brother, Joško. His father, Željko Višnjić, was a bus driver, and his mother, Milka, worked in a food market. He appeared in plays throughout his childhood and made his screen debut at age 16 in the controversial Yugoslav film Braća po materi (1988), playing a young Ustaša.
As Yugoslavia began to dissolve, Višnjić was serving a year-long tour of duty with the Yugoslav People's Army (JNA). He left the JNA and returned to Šibenik, where he joined the nascent Croatian Army in defending his hometown against the Army of the Republic of Serbian Krajina.
After leaving the Croatian Army, he moved to Zagreb to study at the Academy of Dramatic Art.
Prior to ER, Visnjic had small speaking roles in films such as The Peacemaker, Committed and Practical Magic. In 1998 he also appeared in Madonna's music video "The Power of Goodbye", and had a cameo in the movie Rounders. But it was Visnjic's break-out role as Risto, the Bosnian driver in Welcome to Sarajevo that led then-producer Jack Orman to offer him the role of the then unnamed doctor who would replace the departing 'George Clooney' on ER. Visnjic joined ER in the sixth season in late 1999, eventually becoming the show's male lead in mid-season 11. Visnjic made a series of appearances in season 14 before leaving the show early in season 15, ending his 9 year run on the medical drama.
Visnjic married (May 8, 1999) to Croatian sculptor Eva Visnjic (born Ivana Vrdoljak), the daughter of filmmaker Antun Vrdoljak. They reside in Los Angeles, and maintain a home and a boat on the Croatian island of Hvar. The couple has three children: Tin, adopted in 2007 and named after Croatian poet Tin Ujević. Vivien, (born in 2009 and adopted in 2013), and biological son Vigo, (born in 2011). Visnjic has acknowledged paternity of a daughter, Lana, (born in 2007).
- Trained as a paratrooper in the Croatian army at age 18, and volunteered to stay on for an additional three months during the war with Serbia.
- Has a large scar on his stomach from gastric ulcer surgery.
- Ranked #1 in Croatian Internet IskonPortal Magazine's "Top 10 Sexiest Croatian Movie Stars of 2005" list. (January, 2005)
- Daughter, Lana Lourdes Rupic, born March 21, 2007. Mother is Mirela Rupic. Goran accepted paternity in November 2007.
- Named as the Best Croatian actor in 2004 according to the votes of the visitors of internet magazines.
- The younger of two sons.
- Is a huge fan of the show, "Stargate SG-1"
- When word came through that he had been accepted in the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Zagreb, his brother volunteered to take his place in the Army so he could study his craft.