Sep. 9th, 1972
Sibenik, Croatia, Yugoslavia
Goran Visnjic's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Asthma
2013 - K-11
2013 - The Counselor
2011 - Beginners
2011 - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2009 - Helen
2005 - Elektra
2002 - Doctor Sleep
2002 - Ice Age
2001 - The Deep End
1998 - Practical Magic
1998 - Rounders
1997 - The Peacemaker
Guest TV Roles
Goran Visnjic (born September 9, 1972) is an actor and producer, known for ER (1994), Ice Age (2002) and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011).
Born in the Dalmatian coastal city of Šibenik, SR Croatia, SFR Yugoslavia. He has one older brother, Joško. His father, Željko Višnjić, was a bus driver, and his mother, Milka, worked in a food market. He appeared in plays throughout his childhood and made his screen debut at age 16 in the controversial Yugoslav film Braća po materi (1988), playing a young Ustaša.
As Yugoslavia began to dissolve, Višnjić was serving a year-long tour of duty with the Yugoslav People's Army (JNA). He left the JNA and returned to Šibenik, where he joined the nascent Croatian Army in defending his hometown against the Army of the Republic of Serbian Krajina.
After leaving the Croatian Army, he moved to Zagreb to study at the Academy of Dramatic Art.
Prior to ER, Visnjic had small speaking roles in films such as The Peacemaker, Committed and Practical Magic. In 1998 he also appeared in Madonna's music video "The Power of Goodbye", and had a cameo in the movie Rounders. But it was Visnjic's break-out role as Risto, the Bosnian driver in Welcome to Sarajevo that led then-producer Jack Orman to offer him the role of the then unnamed doctor who would replace the departing 'George Clooney' on ER. Visnjic joined ER in the sixth season in late 1999, eventually becoming the show's male lead in mid-season 11. Visnjic made a series of appearances in season 14 before leaving the show early in season 15, ending his 9 year run on the medical drama.
Visnjic married (May 8, 1999) to Croatian sculptor Eva Visnjic (born Ivana Vrdoljak), the daughter of filmmaker Antun Vrdoljak. They reside in Los Angeles, and maintain a home and a boat on the Croatian island of Hvar. The couple has three children: Tin, adopted in 2007 and named after Croatian poet Tin Ujević. Vivien, (born in 2009 and adopted in 2013), and biological son Vigo, (born in 2011). Visnjic has acknowledged paternity of a daughter, Lana, (born in 2007).
- Has a large scar on his stomach from gastric ulcer surgery.
- Graduated from the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Zagreb. Dated actress Lucija Serbedzija (daughter of Rade Serbedzija) for four years while they were there.
- Wind surfs and practices kung fu.
- Father was a bus driver; mother worked in a food market.
- Tin Visnjic, Goran and Ivana's son, is named after Augustin Tin Ujevic, who is considered to be one of the greatest Croatian poets of all time.
- His last name was derived of both Croatian and Serbian word "visnja", which means cherry. Therefore Visnjic means "of the cherry".
- Ranked #1 in Croatian Internet IskonPortal Magazine's "Top 10 Sexiest Croatian Movie Stars of 2005" list. (January, 2005)
- Appeared in 'Madonna' (qv)'s 1998 music video, "The Power of Goodbye."