Sep. 9th, 1972
Sibenik, Croatia, Yugoslavia
Goran Visnjic's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Goran Visnjic (born September 9, 1972) is an actor and producer, known for ER (1994), Ice Age (2002) and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011).
Born in the Dalmatian coastal city of Šibenik, SR Croatia, SFR Yugoslavia. He has one older brother, Joško. His father, Željko Višnjić, was a bus driver, and his mother, Milka, worked in a food market. He appeared in plays throughout his childhood and made his screen debut at age 16 in the controversial Yugoslav film Braća po materi (1988), playing a young Ustaša.
As Yugoslavia began to dissolve, Višnjić was serving a year-long tour of duty with the Yugoslav People's Army (JNA). He left the JNA and returned to Šibenik, where he joined the nascent Croatian Army in defending his hometown against the Army of the Republic of Serbian Krajina.
After leaving the Croatian Army, he moved to Zagreb to study at the Academy of Dramatic Art.
Prior to ER, Visnjic had small speaking roles in films such as The Peacemaker, Committed and Practical Magic. In 1998 he also appeared in Madonna's music video "The Power of Goodbye", and had a cameo in the movie Rounders. But it was Visnjic's break-out role as Risto, the Bosnian driver in Welcome to Sarajevo that led then-producer Jack Orman to offer him the role of the then unnamed doctor who would replace the departing 'George Clooney' on ER. Visnjic joined ER in the sixth season in late 1999, eventually becoming the show's male lead in mid-season 11. Visnjic made a series of appearances in season 14 before leaving the show early in season 15, ending his 9 year run on the medical drama.
Visnjic married (May 8, 1999) to Croatian sculptor Eva Visnjic (born Ivana Vrdoljak), the daughter of filmmaker Antun Vrdoljak. They reside in Los Angeles, and maintain a home and a boat on the Croatian island of Hvar. The couple has three children: Tin, adopted in 2007 and named after Croatian poet Tin Ujević. Vivien, (born in 2009 and adopted in 2013), and biological son Vigo, (born in 2011). Visnjic has acknowledged paternity of a daughter, Lana, (born in 2007).
- Wind surfs and practices kung fu.
- Trained at the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Zagreb.
- Tin Visnjic, Goran and Ivana's son, is named after Augustin Tin Ujevic, who is considered to be one of the greatest Croatian poets of all time.
- Daughter, Lana Lourdes Rupic, born March 21, 2007. Mother is Mirela Rupic. Goran accepted paternity in November 2007.
- Named "One of TV's Sexiest Men" in June 5-11 2005 TV Guide.
- Adopted a baby boy born 19 April 2007 in Los Angeles, California. They have named him Tin Visnjic.
- May 26, 2002 - Donated 1000 pounds in prize money that he won on a Croatian quiz show, giving it to the country's theatres. At the time, he had never been on a TV quiz show.
- Visnjic is common Serbian surname (e.g. famous Serbian popular poet of Serbian epic poetry from 19th century was Filip Visnjic).