Aug. 9th, 1968
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Gillian Anderson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2016 - Sold
2015 - Robot Overlords
2014 - I'll Follow You Down
2011 - Johnny English Reborn
2009 - Boogie Woogie
2008 - How to Lose Friends & Alienate People
2007 - Straightheads
2006 - The Last King of Scotland
2005 - The Mighty Celt
2005 - A Cock and Bull Story
2000 - The House of Mirth
1998 - The X-Files: Fight the Future
1998 - Playing by Heart
1998 - The Mighty
1992 - The Turning
Guest TV Roles
Fairy Godmother (Voiced)
Herself - Guest
Dana Scully (Voiced)
Data Nully (Voiced)
Gillian Anderson started her career as a member of an amateur actor group, while at high school. Her love of the theatre took her to the national theatre of Great Britain at the Cornell University of Ithaca, in New York. Afterwards, Anderson left for the Goodman Theatre School of the DePaul University in Chicago, where she finished her education.
Anderson's big break came with The X Files (1993) with 'David Duchovny' as Dana Scully. There, she met her future husband ('Clyde Klotz', marrying on (January 1, 1994). One month later, Gillian was pregnant. Her daughter, Piper Anderson, was (born September 25, 1994). Her film career started with the movie The Turning (1992) in 1997 and, the following year, she starred in Playing by Heart (1998) with 'Sean Connery', 'Ellen Burstyn', 'Angelina Jolie' and 'Dennis Quaid'.
- Piper Maru, her daughter, was the inspiration for the title of an _"The X Files" (1993)_ (qv) episode introducing the famous black oil in the series.
- Gained her first real break when she replaced 'Mary-Louise Parker' (qv) in the play "The Philanthropist."
- Ranked #23 on Wizard magazine's Sexiest Women of TV list (March 2008).
- Parents left US for London when she was 2. The family moved back to the US when she was 11. She relocated to London again, as an adult, in 2002. As of May 2006, she still lives there with her daughter.
- Was married to first husband 'Clyde Klotz' (qv) on the 17th hole of a golf course in Hawaii by a Buddhist priest.
- (1997) Chosen by "People" magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
- Told _"The X Files" (1993)_ (qv) executives that she was 27 so that she would appear more credible as an FBI agent with a medical degree.
- Lived in London, England, from age 2 to age 11, then moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she was teased for her English accent.