Aug. 9th, 1968
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Gillian Anderson's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Boogie Woogie
2008 - How to Lose Friends & Alienate People
2007 - Straightheads
2006 - The Last King of Scotland
2005 - A Cock and Bull Story
2005 - The Mighty Celt
2000 - The House of Mirth
1998 - The Mighty
1998 - Playing by Heart
1998 - The X-Files: Fight the Future
1992 - The Turning
Guest TV Roles
Data Nully (Voiced)
Agent Scully (Voiced)
Video Narrator (Voiced)
Dana Scully (Voiced)
Gillian Anderson started her career as a member of an amateur actor group, while at high school. Her love of the theatre took her to the national theatre of Great Britain at the Cornell University of Ithaca, in New York. Afterwards, Anderson left for the Goodman Theatre School of the DePaul University in Chicago, where she finished her education. Her big break came with "The X Files" (1993) (with David Duchovny) as Dana Scully. There, she met her future husband (Clyde Klotz), marrying on January 1st 1994. One month later, Gillian was pregnant. Her daughter, Piper Anderson, was born on the 25th September 1994. Her film career started with the movie The Turning (1992) in 1997 and, the following year, she starred in Playing by Heart (1998) with Sean Connery, Ellen Burstyn, Angelina Jolie and Dennis Quaid.
- As a teen, her favorite bands included Skinny Puppy and Dead Kennedys.
- Ranked #23 on Wizard magazine's Sexiest Women of TV list (March 2008).
- Of the 5 actresses nominated for an Emmy as "Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie" in 2006, she was the only one who hasn't been nominated for an Oscar
- In 2003, she won the Whatsonstage.com Theatregoers' Choice Best Actress Award for her West End debut in Michael Weller's two-hander, What the Night Is For.
- Went to the Goodman Theater School of Drama at DePaul University in Chicago, where she earned a degree in fine arts. One of her classmates was 'Nina Siemaszko' (qv).
- Was married to first husband 'Clyde Klotz' (qv) on the 17th hole of a golf course in Hawaii by a Buddhist priest.
- Was voted "Most Likely to be Arrested" by her classmates in high school, and was, in fact, arrested on graduation night for trying to glue the locks shut at her high school.
- Hair is naturally blonde, it was dyed and styled into the famous bob by 'Malcolm Marsden' (qv), who was immortalised as the British MP in the episode "Fire".