May. 6th, 1961
Lexington, Kentucky, USA
George Clooney's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Lexington, Kentucky, as son of Nick Clooney, a TV newscaster of many years, who hosted a talk show at Cincinnati and often invited George into the studios already at the age of 5. Avoiding competition with his father, he quit his job as broadcast journalist after a short time.
Studied a few years at Northern Kentucky University. Failed to join the Cincinnati Reds baseball team. He came to acting when his cousin, Miguel Ferrer, got him a small part in a feature film. After that, he moved to L.A. in 1982 and tried a whole year to get a role while he slept in a friend's closet. His first movie, together with Charlie Sheen, stayed unreleased but got him the producers' attention for later contracts.
- (1996) Chosen by People (USA) magazine as one of the "50 Most Beautiful People in the World."
- Ranked #21 on Premiere's 2006 "Power 50" list. Had ranked #43 in 2005.
- Rode a bicycle to get to auditions as a struggling actor.
- Son of actor and AMC host 'Nick Clooney' (qv) and Nina Warren Clooney.
- Is the first (and only) actor who played Batman (in _Batman & Robin (1997)_ (qv) to win an Oscar (for Best Supporting Actor in _Syriana (2005)_ (qv)).
- His voice was dubbed for the singing moments in _O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)_ (qv).
- In December 2006, he traveled to China and Egypt to make a personal plea to Chinese and Egyptian officials to use their ties with the Sudanese government to help stop the violence in the Darfur region.
- Is a Dallas Mavericks fan.