May. 6th, 1961
Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in Lexington, Kentucky, as son of Nick Clooney, a TV newscaster of many years, who hosted a talk show at Cincinnati and often invited George into the studios already at the age of 5. Avoiding competition with his father, he quit his job as broadcast journalist after a short time.
Studied a few years at Northern Kentucky University. Failed to join the Cincinnati Reds baseball team. He came to acting when his cousin, Miguel Ferrer, got him a small part in a feature film. After that, he moved to L.A. in 1982 and tried a whole year to get a role while he slept in a friend's closet. His first movie, together with Charlie Sheen, stayed unreleased but got him the producers' attention for later contracts.
- Helped celebrate a plan to rebuild a hospital in hurricane-devastated Louisiana alongside former President 'George Bush (I)' (qv) [George H. W. Bush]. The pair appeared outside the courthouse in Cameron Parish, the only surviving building in the town following Hurricane Rita. Bush presented local officials with a check for $2 million from the Bush-Clinton Katrina fund. The money will help run South Cameron Memorial Hospital once it has been rebuilt. Former _"ER" (1994)_ (qv) star Clooney quipped, "There is good news in all of this, which is that when the hospital gets up and running, I will not be doing any of the medical procedures" (20 December 2006).
- (1996) Chosen by People (USA) magazine as one of the "50 Most Beautiful People in the World."
- Dated 'CÚline Balitran' (qv) from 1996 to 1999.
- Turned down two roles which went to 'Kevin Kline (I)' (qv): "Artemus Gordon" in _Wild Wild West (1999)_ (qv) and "Guy Noir" in _A Prairie Home Companion (2006)_ (qv).
- Is frequently cast as a soldier, as seen in _The Thin Red Line (1998)_ (qv), _The Peacemaker (1997)_ (qv), _Three Kings (1999)_ (qv), and _The Good German (2006)_ (qv).
- No. 3 of 10 Top Sexiest Men in People magazine. (2003)
- Born 2:48 AM, EST.
- In winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for _Syriana (2005)_ (qv), he becomes the second generation of his family to win an Oscar. His uncle, 'JosÚ Ferrer (I)' (qv), won a Best Actor Oscar for playing in _Cyrano de Bergerac (1950)_ (qv).