100 (passed away Mar. 9th, 1996)
Jan. 20th, 1896
New York City, New York, USA
George Burns' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1994 - Radioland Murders
1988 - 18 Again!
1984 - Oh, God! You Devil
1979 - Just You and Me, Kid
1978 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
1977 - Oh, God!
1934 - We're Not Dressing
1933 - International House
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Host
Himself - Comedian
[no bio found]
- Was very good friends with 'Harpo Marx' (qv).
- His first marriage was in name only. In the early 1920s he was doing a ballroom dancing act with Hannah Siegal, and they were offered a 36-week contract to go out on the road. When her dad objected to her traveling with a young man outside the bonds of matrimony, George and Hannah got married so as not to turn down the offer. When they returned from their three-month engagement, they divorced.
- "The Burns & Allen Show" (on CBS and NBC from 1934 to 1950) was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 1994.
- Daughter Sandra adopted 1934, son 'Ronnie Burns (I)' (qv) adopted 1935.
- Biography in: "Who's Who in Comedy" by Ronald L. Smith. Pg. 78-80. New York: Facts on File, 1992. ISBN 0816023387
- Interviewed around the time of the death of wife 'Gracie Allen' (qv) in the summer of 1964, he described her as being his "next breath".
- As a child, he attended P.S. 22 and left after the fourth grade due to economic reasons.
- Biography in: "American National Biography". Supplement 1, pp. 82-84. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.